Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Daniel Clay Trial/Found Guilty - Sentencing July 13, 2017 - Frenchtown Township, MI

Suspect in Chelsea Bruck's killing tells judge: I don't want bond

July 25, 2016

The man accused of murdering 22-year-old Chelsea Bruck after a Halloween party two years ago told a judge at his arraignment Monday that he didn’t want to be released on bond.

Daniel Allan Clay, 27, who is facing up to life in prison if convicted of a a second-degree murder charge, raised his hand and interrupted as District Judge Terrence Bronson was speaking.

"I don't want a bond," said Clay, with beads of sweat visible on his face. "I'm not even going to ask for one.

Bruck's immediate family members, including her mother, sat quietly in the front row during the court hearing. They'd spent months handing out flyers and searching for Bruck before her remains were discovered at a work site in April 2015.

Clay, of Newport, was arrested Friday at his girlfriend's Frenchtown Villa mobile park home.

Clay's girlfriend, Kelli Richter, told the Free Press that he confessed to the crime in a phone call Saturday from Monroe County Jail. Michael Roehrig, chief assistant prosecutor, declined to comment on how the investigation may have connected Clay to the crime.

If convicted on the second-degree murder charge, Clay could face up to life in prison. Roehrig said a first-degree murder charge wasn't sought because they had no reason no believe it was premeditated.

"We are grateful to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office for their unflagging efforts, not to mention the efforts of the Michigan State Police and other agencies to bring the case to this point and to let justice prevail," Roehrig said.

Clay's probable cause conference is scheduled for 2 p.m. July 28, and his preliminary examination is 1:30 p.m. Aug. 2.

Bruck’s remains were found April 24, 2015 — after an extensive six-month search — in a wooded lot in Ash Township. The location was 12 miles from the site of a Halloween party in Frenchtown Township where she was last seen Oct. 26, 2014, walking with an unidentified man.

Monroe County Sheriff Dale Malone announced the arrest Friday in a late-night press conference.

"It's been pretty rough," said Richter, who cried as she talked to a reporter. "It's hard to even eat or sleep and I couldn’t sleep last night. He did call me today from the jail and he pretty much told me he did it. They told him to tell me the truth and he told me it was an accident and he told me exactly what happened. It's just crazy. You think you know someone, but you really don’t."

During questioning by police, Clay admitted he was involved in Bruck's death, Malone said.

"We believe he acted alone," Malone said.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Aubrey; 05-11-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So happy they finally made an arrest in Chelsea's murder. So sad that she had to die at the hands of this scum. RIP Chelsea.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Man charged in Chelsea Bruck murder to get mental exam

July 29, 2016

MONROE, Mich. — A man charged with killing a woman who disappeared from a 2014 Halloween party in southeastern Michigan is getting a mental competency examination.

A judge approved the exam Thursday for 27-year-old Daniel Clay of Newport after a request from defense lawyer Russell A. Smith. His next hearing is Sept. 29. Smith says Clay is distraught, was seen by a psychiatrist after his arrest and prescribed medication.

snipped

Authorities say DNA taken after an arrest in an unrelated case led investigators to Clay. State police told the sheriff's office Clay's DNA matched DNA found on Bruck's Poison Ivy Halloween costume. He was arrested in May in the theft of tattoo equipment.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I didn't know the trial of Daniel Clay was now. It is day 4 of testimony.

Admin
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama View Post
    I wasn't aware of that either, kitty. Thanks for the heads up!

Testimony in Daniel Clay trial to begin Tuesday

Accused of killing Chelsea Bruck in 2014

By[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | BLADE STAFF WRITER

Published on May 8, 2017 | Updated 5:00 p. m

MONROE — Testimony is expected to begin Tuesday in the trial for a Frenchtown Township man accused of killing a woman in 2014.

Daniel Clay, 28, faces a jury of 13 women and one man in the death of a Chelsea Bruck, 22, of Maybee, Mich. The jurors, of which two will be randomly selected as alternates and dismissed at deliberation, were pulled from a pool of about 200 during the daylong selection process today in Monroe County Circuit Court.

more at: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jury selection to begin today in Chelsea Bruck murder trial

Updated 8:18 a.m. ET May 8, 2017

MONROE — A man faces trial this week in the death of a woman whose body was found months after she disappeared from a huge Halloween party in 2014 in southeast Michigan.

Monroe County authorities say Daniel Clay confessed to killing Chelsea Bruck during rough consensual sex in his car. The body of the 22-year-old was found in a wooded area in April 2015, six months after she dressed as comic villain Poison Ivy and attended a party with hundreds of people in Frenchtown Township.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jury seated in Daniel Clay trial

Monday, May 8th 2017

Monroe Co., Mich. (WNWO) The jury is seated in Monroe County for the Daniel Clay murder trial.

Clay is accused of murdering Chelsea Bruck, 22, and disposing her body.

Monday morning, a pool of 200 potential jurors filed into the courtroom. They were narrowed down to just 12 and two alternates.

According to Prosecutor Nichols, that jury is made up of 13 women and one man.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Day 2 Daniel Clay trial: opening statements, first testimony

Updated May 9, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Daniel Clay is facing charges in the murder of Chelsea Bruck. The trial is taking place in Monroe County Circuit Court.

Daniel Clay is facing charges in the murder of Chelsea Bruck. The trial began today in Monroe County Circuit Court with opening statements for both the prosecution and defense.

Chelsea Bruck’s mother, Leannda Bruck, was the first witness for the prosecution. Jessica Pribyl, who has a child fathered by Daniel Clay, also has been called to the stand.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Defense claims Chelsea Bruck died of erotic asphyxiation as trial begins

May 10, 2017

WJBK) - The murder trial is underway in the death of Chelsea Bruck from Monroe County woman who went missing after 2014 Halloween party in Frenchtown Township.

Prosecutors called several witnesses, establishing a timeline for the hours before and after the killing.

"I'm just standing there going, how are we ever going to find her in this green costume in a field of green and I just stood there and screamed, then I just started calling her name," said Leanndra Bruck, the victim's mother.

She talked about desperately searching for her daughter in the days after she disappeared.

Chelsea's body was found six months later in a shallow grave.

Daniel Clay was charged with her murder and disposing the body.

The medical examiner says she died of blunt force trauma. Clay claims she suffocated, during rough but consensual sex.

"With erotic asphyxiation, there are certain risks involved. Unfortunately, in this case, during the period of time that they engaged in this practice, Chelsea Bruck tragically passed away," said Russel Smith, the suspect's attorney.

Prosecutors called Chelsea's friends to the stand. They testified Chelsea had been drinking, but not heavily.

Also on the stand was a coworker of Chelsea's, who also has a child with Clay.

She saw them both at the party but never saw them talking.

She did say Clay left her voicemails after he was arrested last summer.

"He said tell (our child) I love him. I'm going to be gone for a really long time," said Jessic Pribyl.

Also on the stand was Clay's former roommate, who says she spoke to him the day after the party.

"We asked him how the party was and that's when he had said that a young girl had gone missing before it was on the news but it was already all over Facebook. So I thought that maybe he had gotten it from Facebook," said Reanne Schaf.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Experts report findings in Clay murder trial

Jury sees photos, items linked to death of Michigan woman

Published on May 11, 2017 | Updated 1:43 a. m.

MONROE — Graphic images and a damaged, bloodstained costume took center stage during the second day of testimony in the ongoing Monroe County murder trial.

Prosecutors showed photos Wednesday of skeletal human remains identified as those of Chelsea Bruck, 22, of Maybee, Mich., who went missing Oct. 26, 2014, after a Halloween party. Daniel Clay, 28, of Frenchtown Township, is charged with open murder and concealing the death of an individual in the homicide case.

Also shown for the first time was the leotard Miss Bruck was reportedly wearing as part of her costume that night. Both shoulder straps and the crotch were completely severed, and a nude-colored liner on the inside front showed two visible stains identified as blood.

Some of the family and friends of Chelsea Bruck seated in the gallery cried softly, wiping away tears as the evidence was presented. Clay remained quiet as he has throughout the trial.

Witnesses included John Marcon, the Ash Township resident who found Miss Bruck’s body on his Briar Hill Road property April 24, 2015, six months after she disappeared.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama View Post
    Thank you @Kitty; I wasn't aware Clay's trial had started.

It's on the calendar now!

I think I'm caught up for a minute, will add more updates later.
    Last edited by Aubrey; 05-11-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Admin
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post

Thank you Kitty, I wasn't aware Clay's trial had started.

I'll put it on the calendar.

I think I'm caught up for today.
    Thank you, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]; !! You are fast and good!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    Thank you, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]; !! You are fast and good!
    Thanks @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]; *Hugs* I almost fell of my chair, not sure how this trial snuck by me, Kitty has a sharp eye! lol
    Last edited by Aubrey; 05-11-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Interview with accused killer played in Bruck murder trial

Medical examiner testifies today about autopsy

May 11, 2017

MONROE — Today’s presentation of evidence in the ongoing trial of Daniel Clay will end with the jury hearing the defendant’s own words.

SNIP

Prosecutors are playing video of a recorded forensic interview taken after the now 28-year-old was arrested last July in the 2014 death of 22-year-old Chelsea Bruck of Maybee, Mich. Clay is charged with open murder and concealing the death of an individual, and today is the third day of testimony in Monroe County Circuit Court.

Earlier, Dr. Leigh Hlavaty of the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office was on the witness stand for about 90 minutes. She concluded in an autopsy Miss Bruck died of blunt-force trauma to the head. She noted fractures to each orbital socket, the mid-line of the lower jaw, and to the right side of the lower jaw near the jaw socket. Two teeth were also broken.

Dr. Hlavaty testified that the force that would have been required to cause such fractures would have been strong enough to cause death via the concussive force to the brain.

"These are injuries that we typically see in motor-vehicle accidents or assaults," she said.

Dr. Hlavaty also testified the injuries to Miss Bruck’s skull could not have come from the heavy log found on top of her remains.
    However, she could not rule out strangulation as a possible cause of death because of her remains’ decomposition. Soft tissues are generally used to help identify possible asphyxiation.

"All of these structures were absent due to decomposition," she said. "There was nothing left for me to evaluate whether or not Chelsea was asphyxiated."

At a previous hearing, detectives said Clay told them he gave Miss Bruck a ride after the Halloween party they’d attended, and Miss Bruck died accidentally while they were engaged in rough but consensual sex. Defense attorney Russell Smith has said Clay plans to testify.

A forensic dentist, Dr. Gary Berman, also testified as to how he was able to positively identify the remains as Chelsea Bruck. Several features, including unusually removed canine teeth, left Dr. Berman with zero doubt.

SNIP

After today, the trial will take a daylong break while the court returns to its regular docket Friday. Testimony will resume Monday.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Chelsea Bruck's injuries were horrific, this monster was in a rage when he murdered her, probably because she rejected him.

Hope he gets the same treatment in prison!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jurors shown video of Daniel Clay confession

Thursday, May 11th 2017

Monroe, MI (WNWO)-- "I tried to wake her up like 5,10 minutes," said Daniel Clay in an interview post arrest in 2016" There was no pulse."

On Thursday , the fourth day of the Daniel Clay murder trial, jurors were able to see the three hour video where Detectives Bryan Sroka and Michael Preadmore questioned the accused.

In the video Clay claims himself and Chelsea Bruck,a then 22-year -old waitress were having rough, but consensual sex--- but there’s some holes in his story.

He begins denying meeting Bruck or even seeing someone in a Poison Ivy costume. After much coercing and the revealing of his DNA on Chelsea's costume, Clay admitted the two had sex more than once and that he had choked Bruck, panicking when he realized she wasn't breathing and then buried her body.

Clay claimed he only choked Bruck 20-30 seconds, but according to Medical Examiner Leigh Hlavaty, Bruck could not have died in that time span.

The way in which she received the fractures to her face and break in her jaw have yet to be explained.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Trial will take a break today, testimony will resume Monday, May 15th.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Chelsea Bruck Murder: Accused killer could testify this week

Sun 8:51 PM, May 14, 2017

Toledo (13abc) Testimony will resume Monday in the trial of Daniel Clay. He is the Monroe County man charged in the death of 22 year old Chelsea Bruck following a Halloween party in 2014.

SNIP

The coroner, police, and prosecutors say Clay beat Bruck to death, and dumped her body in a remote area of Monroe County.

However, Clay said in a taped interview with police that her death was an accident, the result of rough sex. Clay said in that interview that he panicked, and left Bruck's body in a wooded lot in Ash Township.

The prosecution is expected to wrap up its case early this week. The defense will then make its case, and Clay is expected to testify in his own defense.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jury could begin deliberations Tuesday

May 15, 2017

First-degree murder could be sought

With the prosecution expecting to rest today, the jury in the Daniel Clay murder trial could begin deliberations as soon as Tuesday, depending on how many witnesses the defense team calls to the stand.

Mr. Clay, 28, who is expected to testify in his own defense, is on trial for open murder in the death of Chelsea Bruck. Open murder means he could be found not guilty or guilty of second-degree murder or possibly first-degree even though premeditation has not been a factor in the case so far.

Under Michigan law a defendant can be found guilty of first-degree murder if it is committed during a felony, such as arson, robbery, child abuse or sexual assault. Chief Assistant Prosecutor Michael Roehrig may try to persuade the jury at closing arguments to find Mr. Clay guilty of first-degree murder based on forensics that showed her blood-stained costume had been torn at the shoulders and crotch areas. He could try to convince the jury that Miss Bruck was sexually assaulted against her will and beaten to death in the face, thus making first-degree an option.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Malena Caruso‏ @MalenaWTOL 20m20 minutes ago

CLAY testifies smoking weed w/#ChelseaBruck at the Halloween party in 2014 | invited her to his car | she consented to "messing around"

CLAY | testifies Chelsea a willing participant | says sex btwn them lasted 5-10mins before someone knocked on car | neither "finished"

CLAY | says Chelsea's Poison Ivy costume never came off "moved the leotard to the side" during sex | took off leggings she wore over costume

CLAY | he & #ChelseaBruck parted ways after interrupted sex | saw her again when he left party | she was walking alone w/o dark wig on

CLAY | offers #ChelseaBruck a ride home | flirts w/her | she flirts back | she says she needs to pee | he pulls over | she gets out

CLAY | says Chelsea falls twice taking off pants to pee | comes back to car | she gets in back seat | "start heaving petting" again

CLAY | they both smoke more weed | Chelsea takes zanex | testifies in helping take her leotard off: the crotch of it tears | sex gets rough

CLAY | testifies #ChelseaBruck wanted him to choke her | says he put one hand at a time on her neck | may have used two hands at some point

CLAY | testifies "never struck #ChelseaBruck" during sex | says she was "enjoying it" | did not strangle her out of anger | just having fun

**Family of #ChelseaBruck all sitting in the front row as #DanielClay testifies what happened when he & Chelsea were having sex the 2nd time

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Malena Caruso‏ @MalenaWTOL 41s41 seconds ago

CLAY | #ChelseaBruck went limp in the car | tries to shake her | no response | pulls her out of the car | attempted "CPR" chest compressions

CLAY | testifies multiple attempts to check her pulse, try mouth to mouth, chest compressions | using a compact mirror to check for breath

CLAY | he "freaked out" for a little while | puts body of #ChelseaBruck back in car | car door "bounced back open" | closed door |drove away

CLAY | drove 20-30mins | freaking out thinking "I'm going to go to jail for this" | stops | takes body out | carries her to woods down path

CLAY | dropped her at least 5-6 times | tries to cover the "body with some sticks" | large log hid her face at first then put on her chest

CLAY | leaves body of #ChelseaBruck in woods | drives to Telegraph Rd | blacking out several times | made it home | takes pills | passes out

CLAY | testifies to "ripping crotch of the leotard" doesn't remember ripping the straps of the costume | did not force himself on her

CLAY | testifies he never hit #ChelseaBruck in the face w/his fist or a blunt object resulting in the fractures to her jaw & facial bones

CLAY | says during interrogation he said he "could have" caused fractures to #chelseabruck b/c he felt pressure by detectives

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    look at how easily this can happen

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Malena Caruso‏ @MalenaWTOL 8m8 minutes ago

CLAY | says during interrogation meant to say he's "not a monster" | says he caused her death | did not have intent | did not murder her

CLAY | testifies there was nothing related to #ChelseaBruck in his car next morning | does not know how her costume got to industrial park

Defense rests | prosecution now cross examines the defendant #DanielClay | Clay says he's telling the truth today | @WTOL11Toledo

Prosecution asks Clay if he regularly carries brass knuckles or a small souvenir baseball bat | CLAY says he does not carry those items

Prosecution questions why CLAY is now testifying he choked her for "40 seconds" | is it to tailor his testimony to match his expert M.E.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Malena Caruso‏ @MalenaWTOL 4m4 minutes ago

CLAY | says no his testimony is the truth | he stopped having sex w/#ChelseaBruck when he saw she "went limp" didn't have sex after she died

CLAY | says he tried to save #ChelseaBruck by doing CPR | prosecution asks why he didn't go to a nearby house or a hospital |

CLAY says he didn't know where he was at the time | prosecution asks why he drove north to Ash Township and not to the hospital

CLAY says when he put her body back in car after she died the "door bounced back open" b/c it closed on her head causing fractures

Tension in courtroom builds as pros. asks why Clay now says he ripped the crotch of the costume | Clay says he thought it was underwear

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Malena Caruso‏ @MalenaWTOL 6m6 minutes ago

The courtroom watches the testimony of #DanielClay | full of family and friends of #ChelseaBruck and many witnesses from the case

CLAY | testifies to jury he didn't have "intent to conceal her body" but then made a terrible decision to hide her body | judge calls recess

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Malena Caruso‏ @MalenaWTOL 3m3 minutes ago

Cross examination of #DanielClay by the prosecution resumes | Pros. asks about where the costume and wig were found, says Clay knew the area

Pros. says #DanielClay had the same motivation to conceal the wig & costume as he did to conceal the body of #ChelseaBruck

Pros. asks about #DanielClay why he changed his story about which car he drove the night of the Halloween Party

CLAY | says for a day & a half he thought what had happened "was a bad dream" | didn't realize what happened until he saw Facebook posts

CLAY denies Pros. series of questions: he sexually assaulted #ChelseaBruck, beat her w/a blunt object, cut/tore her costume, left her body

CLAY testifies he did lie to Det's in beginning about knowing #ChelseaBruck, having sex w/her, killing her | Pros. rests | defense redirects

CLAY | testifies he has remorse for what happened |says he wants to move on w/his life | let parents of #ChelseaBruck move on |defense rests

Pros. redirects, no rebuttal; judge dismisses jury; closing arguments will start tomorrow morning
    Last edited by mykittysmama; 05-15-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thank you @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for all the tweets/updates!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Malena Caruso‏ @MalenaWTOL 8m8 minutes ago

Defense begins closing arguments by thanking jury for their service & quoting show @lawandorder | feels horrible for victim, family & Clay

Defense says #DanielClay is presumed to be innocent | prosecution must meet burden of proof for each part of the charges against him

Defense | congratulates prosecution, officers & detectives for the work they've done | disagrees w/some of the charges against #DanielClay

Defense tells jury to find #danielclay guilty of concealing a body | breaks down open murder charge: murder 1 & 2, involuntary manslaughter

Defense says #danielclay did lie to police | police also lied to Clay | doesn't make him necessarily guilty | some things police never asked

Defense: reiterates sex btwn #DanielClay & #ChelseaBruck was consensual sex | prosecution no evidence of force or coercion for felony murder

Defense says | #danielclay took the stand, looked jury in the eye & told the jury what happened that night | Clay didn't have to testify

Def |injuries to #ChelseaBruck are real |says pros never mentioned perimortem-occurred at time of death or shortly after |Clay never hit her

Def | their expert M.E. says autopsy can not determine when trauma to head happened | would not have ruled cause of death blunt force trauma
    Last edited by mykittysmama; 05-16-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tweets @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast