Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Herb gardens.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Herb gardens.

As silly as it may sound I have a bathroom setup in my entertaining area,it consists of a powder blue castiron bath with matching handbasin and toilet.
    I have basil and parsley growing in the toot and Im still working on the bathtub,I have a maniquin sitting in the tub at the moment and she will be a part of the herb garden.
    I love cooking with herbs and thought this was a quirky way to grow them.........or maybe not.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    As silly as it may sound I have a bathroom setup in my entertaining area,it consists of a powder blue castiron bath with matching handbasin and toilet.
    I have basil and parsley growing in the toot and Im still working on the bathtub,I have a maniquin sitting in the tub at the moment and she will be a part of the herb garden.
    I love cooking with herbs and thought this was a quirky way to grow them.........or maybe not.
    OMGosh! I love the way you think, would like to see a picture Dingo. I always plant a herb/vegetable garden every year. DH just put in blackberry bushes this past week, can't wait until berries start coming in!
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have never done a herb garden My Hubby had one when he was single, but had no interest in starting one when we got married. Herbs are good for you.
    Dingo yes I would love to see pictures too of your garden.

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Love the set-up, Dingo, glad you found a mannequin to go with it .

I do mostly potted herbs outside in the spring/summer/fall, but do have perennial chives in the big garden.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I love cooking with fresh herbs,the garden is not finished yet but Ill try to get some pictures up when it is.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would enjoy pictures as you go along - sounds gorgeous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why I don't grow herbs as much as I cook. I finally decided I really should start some and couldn't find any. Well, they had a few, but nothing I wanted. I haven't waited too late have I? All I saw was marjoram (which I dislike) and mint. They did have some cilantro which dd uses a lot, but it looked rather pathetic, so didn't get even that.

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzler [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I don't know why I don't grow herbs as much as I cook. I finally decided I really should start some and couldn't find any. Well, they had a few, but nothing I wanted. I haven't waited too late have I? All I saw was marjoram (which I dislike) and mint. They did have some cilantro which dd uses a lot, but it looked rather pathetic, so didn't get even that.
    You should still be able to find a good variety of herb plants somewhere, Puzz. Maybe a garden center or greenhouse?

Cilantro goes to seed (coriander) pretty quickly, it can be difficult to get it to last if you just want cilantro leaves. At least that has been my experience with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    You should still be able to find a good variety of herb plants somewhere, Puzz. Maybe a garden center or greenhouse?

Cilantro goes to seed (coriander) pretty quickly, it can be difficult to get it to last if you just want cilantro leaves. At least that has been my experience with it.
    Yes, I need to go to the garden center but it's not on my beaten path. I didn't know that about Cilantro, so thanks. When she buys it in a bunch, it's usually too much. I was just thinking it would be better if she could pinch some off a plant. As I said, it looked sad. Maybe chives would be a better idea?

ETA...Thanks..I am pathetic at growing things.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I think this would be perfect for Herb garden, especially for those with limited space. You water herbs from the top. I showed this to DH, he thinks he can make this for me
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Senior Member Asteroids Champion, Crazy Shuttle Champion, Barb Jump Champion, Arkanoid Champion MissWasabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzler [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Yes, I need to go to the garden center but it's not on my beaten path. I didn't know that about Cilantro, so thanks. When she buys it in a bunch, it's usually too much. I was just thinking it would be better if she could pinch some off a plant. As I said, it looked sad. Maybe chives would be a better idea?

I love chives, especially garlic chives. You can use them with practically everything!
    Dingo - can't wait to see pics of your set-up!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We are going to start working on it when we get back home.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But Dingo, if you would post pictures as you go along, we could tell you if you are doing things correctly, painting the right colors, and any number of other pieces of advice - see what you are missing?
    Last edited by twinner; 05-01-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Chives are easier to grow and very versatile, IMO. They can used as ornamental plants, too (for the pretty purple flowers when they re-seed themselves). They do grow and spread, too, so you'd only need a small starter plant, plus they are perennial!

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I think this would be perfect for Herb garden, especially for those with limited space. You water herbs from the top. I showed this to DH, he thinks he can make this for me
    That is a really cool idea - yes to hubby making one for you!

Quote Originally Posted by MissWasabi [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I love chives, especially garlic chives. You can use them with practically everything!
    Dingo - can't wait to see pics of your set-up!
    Now I need to look into the garlic chives, do they taste kind of like a shallot?

Dingo always has a nice herb garden .

Quote Originally Posted by twinner [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    But Dingo, if you would post pictures as you go along, we could tell you if you are doing things correctly, painting the right colors, and any number of other pieces of advice - see what you are missing?
    Right, I like that idea, twinner, lol!

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We have a fire pit that we no longer use. It was really too small, and over the years the trees have grown too close to it. For the past few years I've been planting annual flowers in it, usually petunias. But I saws this idea on FB and think I might do it, it's kind of cute!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    We have a fire pit that we no longer use. It was really too small, and over the years the trees have grown too close to it. For the past few years I've been planting annual flowers in it, usually petunias. But I saws this idea on FB and think I might do it, it's kind of cute!

i LOVE that idea!

the only herbs i am growing right now are rosemary, thyme, basil and oregano. i should have picked up some cilantro but i still have a full jar of it in the fridge. during the winter i buy freeze dried jars like this -

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    i LOVE that idea!

the only herbs i am growing right now are rosemary, thyme, basil and oregano. i should have picked up some cilantro but i still have a full jar of it in the fridge. during the winter i buy freeze dried jars like this -
    I have a jar of cilantro just like that, too! I don't mind just a little bit, but hubby likes it and uses it in salads and some mexican dishes.

You have a good start on your herb garden, Laura. Last fall hubby transplanted a couple of my potted herbs into the big garden and 2 of them actually made it through the winter. One is Greek oregano (mild and very good) but I'm not sure what the other one is yet, lol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a jar of cilantro just like that, too! I don't mind just a little bit, but hubby likes it and uses it in salads and some mexican dishes.

You have a good start on your herb garden, Laura. Last fall hubby transplanted a couple of my potted herbs into the big garden and 2 of them actually made it through the winter. One is Greek oregano (mild and very good) but I'm not sure what the other one is yet, lol .
    i am trying to learn to like cilantro. a little goes a long way but i have been adding it to mexican dishes lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opps I lost my place here…gonna see where I need to find the post about Dingo’s woman in the tub!
    Last edited by SusiePMcD; 05-20-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    “My mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.'”-Forrest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dingo...I LOVE THIS…”quirky = artsy fartsy” we must be half sisters!
    Last edited by SusiePMcD; 05-20-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: wrong spot
    “My mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.'”-Forrest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I LOVE THIS…”quirky = artsy fartsy” we must be half sisters!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Im still working on my woman in the tub,I have to get some soil for the project.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twinner [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I cant get my pictures to upload for some reason Twinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've got some bastards in my yard that have demolished my thyme plant. any ideas? all the leaves are gone and they only left the stems. gargh! (my thyme is planted with a rosemary plant and it is doing fine)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bastards?....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bastards?....
    hungry bastards? hahaha!

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    OMG, I have what I call my little RBC (rat bastard chipmunk)! He has chewed down a couple of my potted plants (twice!) and digs in a couple others and spreads the black dirt all over the front step. The little bastard!

Poor Sam the dog tries his hardest to get that little RBC. I told Sam I'm going to order us some 'blow up the chipmunk' supplies from ACME if RBC keeps up with his antics .

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    hungry bastards? hahaha!
    Are they grubs?

Senior Member Asteroids Champion, Crazy Shuttle Champion, Barb Jump Champion, Arkanoid Champion MissWasabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they grubs?
    I would guess maybe grasshoppers. Could be some sort of caterpillar too.

I want one of these!!!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissWasabi [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I would guess maybe grasshoppers. Could be some sort of caterpillar too.

I want one of these!!!

You could make one .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast