Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date Of Birth: 02/17/90
    Age at disappearance: 17
    Height: 5’4″-5’5″
    Weight: 110-125 lbs.
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Hazel
    Race: White
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Scar on forehead.
    Double-pierced ears, pierced navel.
    Clothing: Jeans and white tank top.
    Dentals: Yes

Details of Disappearance
    Kara was last seen on May 4, 2007 in Belton, Missouri. She was pictured on her school’s security camera leaving the building aound 10 a.m. Kara does not have a car, so she would have either been on foot or someone was there to pick her up. It has been confirmed that the last phone call on her cell phone was about 10:30 a.m. Since then, the police have determined that either the cell phone has been shut off or the battery has run down. In addition to that, there has been no activity on her bank account and nothing is missing from her house. All of her clothes, belongings, and iPod are still in her room.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Belton Police Department
    Detective Lonnie Lodge
    (816) 331-1500
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Admin
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kara's Charley Project case file:

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Family hopes jewelry can help solve Kara Kopetsky disappearance

Belton teen was wearing bracelet, necklace when she vanished 9 years ago

UPDATED 7:37 PM CDT May 01, 2016

BELTON, Mo. —Nine years after Belton High School student Kara Kopetsky disappeared, her family hopes a new clue in the case can provide answers.

There was a large turnout Sunday for an event to remember Kopetsky, who was 17 when she disappeared nine years ago this week.

Her family showed off the last photo Kopetsky ever took. They said they’ve noticed that she’s wearing a matching necklace and bracelet.

Her family hopes someone will recognize the jewelry and that it will turn up some day.

Hoping someone recognizes bracelet, her parents need answers.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karas mom, Rhonda, has been thru hell with this. I really don't think there is anything left to find as the Belton PD really messed up this case.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looks like Kylr Yust maybe involved in another young woman, Jessica Runions, missing from Raymore, MO

We have thread for Jessica Runions: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Admin
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Aubrey!

I recognized that name (Kylr Yust - odd spelling) as soon as I saw it re: Jessica's disappreance, but couldn't remember off the top of my head which other case it was connected to. I've followed Kara's case on Charley Project for years.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    Thanks, Aubrey!

I recognized that name (Kylr Yust - odd spelling)
    as soon as I saw it re: Jessica's disappreance, but couldn't remember off the top of my head which other case it was connected to. I've followed Kara's case on Charley Project for years.
    You're welcome! Me too and I checked to make sure it was the same guy. Hoping Jessica is found safe and just maybe we'll find out more on Kara.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    September 11, 2016 2:58 PM

Ex-boyfriend of missing Kara Kopetsky faces questions in Raymore woman’s disappearance

Family members of a young Raymore woman missing since Thursday see an ominous parallel to a girl who disappeared in 2007.

The family has been told by her friends that Kylr Yust — the off-and-on boyfriend of Kara Kopetsky, then 17, before she disappeared nine years ago — was the last person seen last week with 21-year-old Jessica Runions of Raymore.

He was taken into custody Sunday and was being held in Missouri’s Benton County jail.

Multiple Kansas City police sources confirmed that Yust, 27, was a person of interest in the Runions case but wasn’t the only person being sought for questioning. Authorities arrested Yust at 8:30 a.m. Sunday on charges of "knowingly burning" Runion’s 2012 black Chevy Equinox, which police found about 2 a.m. Saturday near 95th Street and Blue River Road.

"Right now I have positive news that my daughter wasn’t in the car when they found it," Runions told The Star on Sunday. "And that’s what’s going to keep me going right now. There’s hope."

Missouri Search and Rescue scoured two large areas twice looking for Runions, without results, according to a Kansas City police news release.

Yust’s grandfather said Sunday night that he doesn’t know what’s going on with his grandson.

"I don’t know what they’re saying. I don’t know what all went on," said the grandfather, who asked that his name not be used. "He hasn’t been around for a while."

The Raymore woman was at a gathering of friends Thursday evening with Yust, against whom Kopetsky had filed for an order of protection days before she vanished in May 2007. Since that gathering, no one has reported seeing Runions. She failed to meet her mother at a doctor’s office on Friday for a critical follow-up to an appendectomy.

Jessica’s mother doesn’t know Yust and said she only knew he was a longtime friend of her daughter’s boyfriend. On Sunday, Jamie S. Runions spoke with Kopetsky’s mother, Rhonda Beckford, and leaned on her for support.

"People say they understand what you’re going through, but they don’t really understand. She does," Runions told The Star. "She knows this numbness I’m feeling, this anger I’m feeling because I can’t do anything."

Beckford said when she first learned of the missing Raymore woman, and that Jessica Runions had last been seen with Yust, her heart sank.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looks like Kylr Yust maybe involved in another young woman, Jessica Runions, missing from Raymore, MO

We have thread for Jessica Runions: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Kylr Yust, Kara Kopetsky's boyfriend before she went missing, is now in custody in connection to the disappearance of Jessica Runions. (KCTV5)

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    4/4/2017

The families of Kara Kopetsky and Jessica Runions have been called by police after investigators found a second skull in a Cass County field.

Human remains were found by a mushroom hunter south of Belton Monday afternoon.

A second human skull was located in the same search area, the Sheriff's Office said.

The remains were found near East 233rd and State Route Y.

Authorities said they have closed approximately 6.5 miles of S. State Route Y between YY Hwy and D Hwy (Holmes Rd). The area could be closed until Wednesday
    Last edited by juliekan; 04-04-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Police notify Kara Kopetsky's family human remains could be Kara's

Kara has been missing since May 2007

10:30 PM, Apr 4, 2017 - News Video included with article

CASS COUNTY, Mo. - Police have notified Kara Kopetsky’s family that the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] on Monday could be Kara’s.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] leaving Belton High School in May 2007.

A human skull was found on Monday near E 233rd and State Route Y. The sheriff's office said that skull was sent to the Jackson County Medical Examiner for further examination.

Investigators found a second skull in the same search area Tuesday

Authorities have not identified the human remains. The Cass County Sheriff's Office said although families of missing person cases in the area have been in contact with law enforcement they cannot confirm the identity of victims.

Minutes before noon on Tuesday, 41 Action News was speaking with the mothers of Kara Kopetsky and Jessica Runions about the human remains discovered by a mushroom hunter when Belton police called.

"I’m not going to say 100 percent, but my gut is telling me that we may have resolution," police said in the call that was placed on speaker.

Police told Jim Beckford, Kara’s stepdad, they had discovered another human skull Tuesday morning, an older one compared to the one discovered Monday afternoon.

"I told you last night that was a hot area, and I was always on the wrong side of the street," Beckford told police over the phone.

"I said all along it was going to be a mushroom hunter or a deer hunter is kind going to stumble on something," Belton police said over the phone.

The news overwhelmed both families.

Saying prayers for both families

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wow. they should probably keep looking, I doubt that Kara and Jessica were his only victims

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz View Post
    wow. they should probably keep looking, I doubt that Kara and Jessica were his only victims
    Yes, I agree with you PK. IMO, Kylr Yust is another Ted Bundy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they find out there are victims from his early teens.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    omg, this sentence:

"...'If it’s her, I’m glad she was with Kara,' Jamie Runions told the Kansas City Star. 'My biggest fear was that she was alone. I’m glad they were together.' ..."

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Identification of remains found in Cass County hinges on how intact they are

April 5, 2017 11:26 AM

If police have uncovered two full skulls, teeth intact, from the Cass County area where human remains were found Monday and Tuesday, it shouldn’t take long to find the identities, according to a retired expert in the field of bone identification.

David W. Frayer had been called to identify bones at least two times a year before he retired after teaching anthropology for 37 years at the University of Kansas.

Authorities found a skull Monday and another Tuesday in rural Cass County after a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Their search for more bones in the area of East 233rd Street and Missouri Y was suspended Wednesday for weather but will continue Thursday.

The families of Kara Kopetsky, who disappeared in May 2007, and Jessica Runions, who was last seen in early September, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

SNIP

The remains have not been identified, and the families say they are still waiting.

Late Wednesday morning, Rhonda and Jim Beckford were at home in Belton. They were joined by Jamie Runions around noon. The families of the two missing women say they haven’t received further word from authorities in Belton or Cass County regarding the bones found earlier in the week.

"The waiting is the hardest part, but I’m still hopeful that possibly today or this week, one day, that we will have the answers to whether these skulls are our daughters," Rhonda Beckford said.

Rhonda Beckford, mother of Kara Kopetsky, said authorities so far had found two human skulls as well as several other bones. One skull appeared to be older than the other, she said.

"They have not been very specific with how they’re identifying these skeletal remains," Beckford said. "We know that there were two skulls. We don’t know how many teeth were intact. We don’t know any of that."

How quickly the identifications are made depends on how much of a skeleton is intact and how much is recovered at the site and the surrounding area, Frayer said.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ellen McNamara‏Verified account @EllenKCTV5 12m12 minutes ago

#BREAKING mother of #KaraKopetsky tells our @NatalieKCTV5 that the other set of remains have to be sent to a lab in Kansas to be identified.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Last person to talk to Kara Kopetsky says memory of her voice still haunts him

Updated at 11:10PM, April 6, 2017

CASS COUNTY, Mo. -- Kyle Reynolds knew both Kara Kopetsky and her on again off again boyfriend Kylr Yust. He has never talked to anyone about the day Kopetsky disappeared, but now that her remains may have been found, he says it is time.

Reynolds knew Kopetsky from school and they hung out in the same social group. He says it was about 10:30 in the morning on May 4, 2007 when Kopetsky called him -- the sound of her voice still haunts him.

"I can hear it whenever I say the words that she said, I can hear her saying it, ‘Hey Kyle, do you want to hang out with me and Kylr?’ ‘No, I got a job interview, I just woke up.’ ‘Oh, okay, alright, we'll talk to you later.’ That was it," Reynolds recounted.

And that was it, the last time anyone talked to Kopetsky. Later on that day Reynolds said his long-time buddy and band mate Yust showed up at his house.

"I felt weird because my gut intuition was that he was kind of feeling me out, you know kind of seeing if I knew there was something up maybe, that’s kind of how it felt to me," Reynolds said.

A few days later, police showed up at his door and Reynolds said he told law enforcement as much as he could.

"Well, Kylr calls me after they left and was screaming and yelling all over the phone and threatening to beat me up because I was talking to the cops. ‘Why would you talk to the cops?’" Reynolds said he was asked.

"We were really good friends and we never argued, never yelled at each other, never. But he did then and that got me worried and made me think, oh, something is up here."

The friendship ended shortly after, and Reynolds did not see Yust for years, until he was charged with burning missing woman Jessica Runions’ car.

"And when you saw the mug shot of him with his burned face and scratches, does not look like the same person that I knew. Doesn't look the same at all. He looks crazy, he looks crazy," Reynolds said.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A decade later: the search for Kara Kopetsky continues as family feels closer to answers

4:16 AM, May 4, 2017

BELTON, Mo. - On May 4, 2007, 17-year-old [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] woke up and went to school like any other day. However she never came home.

Her mother, Rhonda Beckford, said goodbye to Kara before she left for school. Kara later called at school asking her to drop off a text book. That is the last time the two spoke.

Since then no one has seen or spoken to Kara. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    There have been little clues as to where Kara is since she vanished, however the family feels closer than ever to having answers.

"I said, it's okay, go on, we have you, you know our family's back together again," said Jim Beckford, Kara's step-father.

Her mother Rhonda feels the same way, never backing down on a promise she made to Kara ten years ago.

"Well it was a vow that I made on May 4, 2007. I told her, I said, Kara, I love you and we miss you and we are never giving up. We are never giving up until we find out what happened to you," said Rhonda.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. They say the pair had a tumultuous relationship.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Annual March for Kara takes on different feel after remains found near Belton

Posted 11:09 pm, May 7, 2017

BELTON, Mo. -- Her daughter vanished a decade ago, and a metro mom believes she knows what happened to her. She is now just waiting for official proof.

Kara Kopestsky disappeared from Belton High School on May 4, 2007.

Her mother Rhonda Beckford said she believes a skull found in April in rural Cass County is Kara. The skull was found near the remains identified as Jessica Runions of Raymore.

Runions disappeared September of last year.

Kylr Yust is accused of burning Runions' car after she disappeared.

Yust is associated with both Runions and Kopetsky, but he hasn't been charged in Runion's death, or Kopetsky's disappearance.

Kara's family said they already have their answer. They said they know it's her, and they say they know who took her.

Sunday family and friends held their annual Walk for Kara, holding signs that read "Honk for Kara."

They've been holding this walk for 10 years now, but this one was much different than the rest because they believe they are only weeks away from finally having answers.

Last month, remains were found in Cass County near the remains of missing Jessica Runions.

Kara's family says they know their daughter was buried next to Jessica, and soon they will know for sure.

It's a shame the family is still waiting on results, my prayers go out to them.

Admin
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Second set of human remains found in rural Cass County identified as Kara Kopetsky

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]5:01 PM, Aug 16, 2017

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Belton police said [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in April have been identified as Kara Kopetsky.

Kopetsky was last seen leaving Belton High School in May 2007. She was 17 years old.
    Lt. Brad Swanson of the Belton Police Department released the following statement:

On today's date the Belton Police along with the Cass Co. Prosecutor and Sheriff's offices were notified that the FBI had confirmed that the remains found in Cass County on April 4th were those of Kara Kopetsky.

According to the Cass County Sheriff's Office, Kopetsky's family met with Belton Police Chief James Person, Cass County Sheriff Jeff Weber and Cass County Prosecuting Attorney Ben Butler regarding the identification.

more at link:
    http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/second-set-of-human-remains-found-in-rural-cass-county-identified-as-kara-kopetsky

Admin
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sending prayers to Kara's family .

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kylr Yust charged with murder in deaths of Kopetsky, Runions

Oct 5, 2017

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kylr Yust has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of Kara Kopetsky and Jessica Runions.

Kopetsky was last seen leaving Belton High School in May 2007. She was 17 years old.

Investigators said Yust was Kopetsky's ex-boyfriend. Kopetsky also received an order of protection against Yust in May 2007 after she told police that Yust kidnapped her when she was leaving work, according to court documents.

Runions was last seen in September 2016 when witnesses say she left a party with Yust. She was 21 years old.

Yust has been in custody since September 2016 on suspicions of burning Runions's car in Jackson County. In addition to the two murder charges, he is also charged with two counts of abandonment of a corpse.

Kylr Yust's attorney in the Jackson County case, Molly Hastings, tells 41 Action News her client plans to enter a "not guilty" plea regarding today's charges in Cass County.

According to the probable cause statement, three witnesses came forward over the course of several years claiming that Yust admitted to killing Kopetsky.

One person allegedly told investigators in 2011 that Yust admitted to choking Kopetsky to death and placing her body in the woods.

Also in 2011, an ex-girlfriend of Yust told investigators that Yust choked her and said that he had killed his girlfriends in the past and he wouldn't hesitate to kill her.

The probable cause statement also shows that another witness came forward in 2016 and said that Yust admitted to killing Kopetsky in a conversation about three and half years earlier. The witness also claims Yust said no one would ever find the body unless he showed somebody where it was.

Shortly after Runions's disappearance in September 2016, a witness told investigators that Yust admitted to strangling and killing Runions.

He also allegedly said that he left Runions's body in the woods, but he couldn't drag her very far in. That witness also claims he watched Yust burn Runions's car.

That same witness said he took Yust to a residence in Edwards, Missouri to give him time to recover from injuries he sustained while burning the car.

After the witness got away from Yust, he alerted police to his location and Yust was taken into custody.

In late March 2017, a mushroom hunter found a set of human remains in a field in rural Cass County. Investigators found a second set shortly after.

In April, one set of remains was identified as Runions. In August, the second set of remains was positively identified as Kopetsky.

Bond for Yust has been requested at $1 million.

more at link

Admin
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's been a long time coming for this POS, I hope they don't even think about lowering that bail.