Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Hospitals Hold Your Child Hostage...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This isn't the first time I've heard about this.

It's very frightening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, yes...now I remember the case:

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kids [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This isn't the first time I've heard about this.

It's very frightening.

Who was it that said "A government strong enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take away everything you have?"

It has been credited to several people and Im not sure who said it.

Social workers actually receive very minimal training in their profession and then they are turned out in to the public and given a lot of power. We need them but its a ill running system.

Reading the article, it sounds like the police chief was the voice of reason in this situation.

But something didn't quite make sense to John Sherwin, captain of investigations for the Rochester Police Department.

I swear, I read articles like this and it makes me want to move to Idaho.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glow [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Who was it that said "A government strong enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take away everything you have?"

It has been credited to several people and Im not sure who said it.

Social workers actually receive very minimal training in their profession and then they are turned out in to the public and given a lot of power. We need them but its a ill running system.

Reading the article, it sounds like the police chief was the voice of reason in this situation.

But something didn't quite make sense to John Sherwin, captain of investigations for the Rochester Police Department.

I swear, I read articles like this and it makes me want to move to Idaho.
    Agreed.

Every parents hopes their child doesn't get sick enough for a hospital stay. This is another reason to add to that hope.

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very scary indeed.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is related to hospital care. After I had the transplant a social worker* came in to see if I needed anything. I wonder what would have happened if I had given her a few ‘wrong’ answers. I say that because I got a doctor’s bill once and it related to the doctor’s determining that I was not a victim of elder abuse (something I was told they are required to do?).

I only took Sara to her doctor once and the nurse would not let me go with them to the examination room. I did not like that at all. Sara was probably 2 at the time.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, but I can see the possibility of parents losing rights relative to their children when the wrong people are ‘in charge.’

* @glow

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    This is related to hospital care. After I had the transplant a social worker* came in to see if I needed anything. I wonder what would have happened if I had given her a few ‘wrong’ answers. I say that because I got a doctor’s bill once and it related to the doctor’s determining that I was not a victim of elder abuse (something I was told they are required to do?).

I only took Sara to her doctor once and the nurse would not let me go with them to the examination room. I did not like that at all. Sara was probably 2 at the time.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, but I can see the possibility of parents losing rights relative to their children when the wrong people are ‘in charge.’

* @glow

That is so interesting because what you said about adult care and elder abuse adds a new layer to the whole principal of what power a state has versus what "rights" a family has.

In addition, the fact they wouldnt let you come in with a two year old made my jaw drop. I know that had to feel very confusing and perhaps irritating to you as a very attached and concerned care giver (not to mention grandmother). That is where the rub comes in. If the state wants to increase the bonding and attachment of families to their young they have to stand back. The more a state or any entity steps in the less attached the care givers become. Its just a fact.

I know with Liam and school, we have taken a little boy we wouldnt allow to go five feet from any of us (his family) and handed him off for 5 hours a day to people (school) that we dont even know because we are conditioned to do so.

Strange when you break it down and think about it isnt it?

Just a bit of trivia here and off topic a bit: did you all know that the Dionne quintuplets were taken from their parents by the Canadian government? The reason being the government did not think they could properly care for them because they already had 6 children.

It was a fascinating case from an anthropological point of view. The parents were still able to have casual contact with the girls but the bonds were not there. The girls speaking as adults felt mostly exploited all the way around. Very interesting and sad case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glow [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    That is so interesting because what you said about adult care and elder abuse adds a new layer to the whole principal of what power a state has versus what "rights" a family has.

In addition, the fact they wouldnt let you come in with a two year old made my jaw drop. I know that had to feel very confusing and perhaps irritating to you as a very attached and concerned care giver (not to mention grandmother). That is where the rub comes in. If the state wants to increase the bonding and attachment of families to their young they have to stand back. The more a state or any entity steps in the less attached the care givers become. Its just a fact.

I know with Liam and school, we have taken a little boy we wouldnt allow to go five feet from any of us (his family) and handed him off for 5 hours a day to people (school) that we dont even know because we are conditioned to do so.

Strange when you break it down and think about it isnt it?

Just a bit of trivia here and off topic a bit: did you all know that the Dionne quintuplets were taken from their parents by the Canadian government? The reason being the government did not think they could properly care for them because they already had 6 children.

It was a fascinating case from an anthropological point of view. The parents were still able to have casual contact with the girls but the bonds were not there. The girls speaking as adults felt mostly exploited all the way around. Very interesting and sad case.
    I've never heard of the case. I'll have to research.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

* @glow
    To address the red highlighted part. I am 70 and for the past couple of years anytime I have gone to Doctor, or hospital for any testing, I am asked if anyone is abusing me. I had a purple bruise on my hip once and Doctor questioned me about where I got it. (I ran into the edge of the kitchen table). Then when Doctor left and Nurse came in to take my vitals she asked me again about the bruise. So it seems to be part of any exam I have had in the past few years. It does seem to be a mandatory question at a certain age.

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1948 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    To address the red highlighted part. I am 70 and for the past couple of years anytime I have gone to Doctor, or hospital for any testing, I am asked if anyone is abusing me. I had a purple bruise on my hip once and Doctor questioned me about where I got it. (I ran into the edge of the kitchen table). Then when Doctor left and Nurse came in to take my vitals she asked me again about the bruise. So it seems to be part of any exam I have had in the past few years. It does seem to be a mandatory question at a certain age.
    Same here. When I had foot surgery 2 weeks ago, the anesthesiologist questioned me about bruises on my leg (hubby was not present). Dr. was doing a nerve block behind my knee. I told him I'm always full of bruises due to taking a blood thinner (apixaban). He said 'yep, that'll do it'.

When I was in the first recovery room (hubby was not present) after surgery, the nurse asked me if I felt safe at home, and if I had any fears about being released to go home. I said nope, unless I pi$$ off the chihuahua (lol, I was joking of course...and still kind of loopy from the drugs). She laughed and we talked about chihuahuas a bit and that was that.

Again just before I was released, the nurse asked me, in hubby's presence, if I felt safe at home. I said yes. I was going to add that I did NOT feel safe there at the hospital considering what they did to me in 2016/2017 but kept my mouth shut, lol. I doubt the nurse would 'get' my attempt at some dark humor .
    Last edited by maryjane; 08-21-2018 at 05:07 AM.