Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mamma Lun Lun is letting us see more and more

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday Yang Yang,looks like you are getting spoilt.

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yang is a very handsome Panda, what a nice b-day celebration for him !

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mama Lun and one of the twins!

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another pic of Lun and a closer view of one of the cubbies.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    #sweet #smiling #lunlun and her very #cute cub!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    #Pandastory Baby slipping - Mom immediately scoops & cuddles #NiceSave #LunLun

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Aw...so glad they're doing well !

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lun Lun sure is showing her cubbies off!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shauna D.
    Keeper II, Mammals
    (photo by Shauna D.)

Saturday, September 10

So I came back from my weekend, and I am amazed in just that short amount of time how much these cubs have grown. I always forget how much time flies with the cubs and how fast they change. They now have a lot more hair and are gaining weight steadily. It's also funny to watch the way they sleep in the incubators; both cubs like to sleep differently. Cub A likes to eventually sleep on its side all nestled under the blankets, which is too cute for words, and Cub B likes to sleep outside the blankets and elevated. Well, I guess we all have particular ways we like to sleep, and it's true too even for small baby pandas!
    Katie G., Keeper III, Mammals

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sunday, September 11

Yesterday we were talking about the differences in Cub A's and Cub B's preferences when they sleep in the incubators. It seems as though Cub B prefers using "pillows" to sleep. It is hard to say what is actually going through its teeny head other than "I need milk," but a few times the other night, it moved out of the blanket and snuggler setup we use and laid on top of it. The setup we use, as I'm sure you've seen in previous photos, is a blanket on top of the head and a bean bag-type thing around it. This is used to simulate Lun Lun cradling it and to keep it warm and content. Cub B, however, squirmed out of that setup several times the other night and propped up on the bumpers to sleep and slept soundly for several moments at a time.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Monday, September 12

The time has arrived! If you look closely, you now can see that the panda twins are starting to show their coloring. Take a look at the ears, eyes, and front shoulders, and you can see where the coloring is starting to show. Each day they are looking more and more like giant pandas!
    Katie G.
    Keeper III, Mammals

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tuesday, September 13

The cubs are officially 10 days old! At this point, the cubs are growing and changing constantly. As each keeper returns from our days off, we are all awestruck at how different the cubs look after just two days away. Since we are on the brink of having some mini pandas on our hands, I wanted to take a second and share a timeline of the big developmental milestones we will see over the next month and when we expect to see each one.

Day 6-10: Skin on eyes, ears, arms, legs and saddle begin to darken. The darkening of fur in these areas will follow. The cubs' fur will begin to grow longer and thicker.
    Day 25: Cubs will be fully-furred and have all the distinctive giant panda markings.
    Day 31-50: Ears open.
    Day 35-49: Eyes begin to open. Eyes are not fully open until 72-76 days.

Cub B has a darker saddle right now than Cub A, which other than weight, is the easiest way to identify the cubs right now. We still have a long way to go, but our new little family is doing great!
    Jennifer A.
    Keeper II, Mammals

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They are so adorable, chubby little babies!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wednesday, September 14

Greetings from the "other side!” While the nursery keepers and vet staff (and mom Lun Lun) are busy bees caring for the these new little nuggets, those of us taking care of the "other pandas" have been having nice, relaxing days. With only two groups of pandas, and those pandas wanting to only eat the leaves off the bamboo, routine has been pretty easy. So much so that we've had extra time to spend on cleaning, enrichment and my never-ending side projects. We also make sure we train and socialize with the pandas every day since we've been housing them all in the dayrooms overnight. Why, you ask? Well, easy-peasy as things are, we're a little cramped back here since the front of the building is being used by the panda nursery team. So, it's easier to keep our one off-habitat den clean and empty all the time when servicing the bears. But, while that makes routine easier, Heather and Shauna (who work the night-owl nursery shifts) have been going through a bit of withdrawal not seeing these pandas. So, to change things up, we randomly house someone in an off-habitat area overnight for a change of scenery, and so they get a little extra attention when the nursery keepers pass by on their quest for fresh bamboo for Lun. For the "other pandas,” life is pretty much status quo ... but I'm looking forward to my turn working some nursery shifts!

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wow,they have grown so much already, love their baby panda fur! Adorable!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thursday, September 15

By now the cubs have gotten big enough to be able to see on PandaCam, but they do still hide either when nursing from Lun Lun or napping under mom’s chin. In the case of the photo of Lun Lun with Cub A, peeking out from Lun’s belly. I personally can’t believe how quickly they are growing and am so excited to see them each morning. In just 12 short hours they have gotten bigger and darker, slowly looking more and more like pandas (and less like naked mole rats). To answer a few of the common questions I’ve been getting: the yellow cords you see in some of the incubator pictures are temperature sensors. Because giant panda cubs get cold so easily, we closely monitor the temperature and humidity inside the incubators and the body temperature of each cub. We also weigh them, a lot! To ensure they are getting enough milk from Lun Lun we weigh them when they go in with mom and on their way out. Cub A (pictured here) is still a little smaller than Cub B, but catching up fast. Never a dull day in the nursery!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Friday, September 16

Happy Friday from the nursery! It has been a week since I have seen these little twins, and I am always impressed with how quickly they are growing and getting their nice black coloring. Before we know it they will look like full-on pandas. The tiny ball of fur version, of course. As I am writing this I am very distracted by our cameras where I can watch the hilarious antics of the twins’ older siblings. Mei Lun and Mei Huan were battling it out on the top of the structure in Dayroom One to see which panda could hold onto the top spot the longest. It looked like Mei Lun was losing. But I digress. Back to nursery life! Lun's appetite is continuing to come back, and this week she is choosing to culm the bamboo we are offering her. That means that she is preferring to eat the stalk rather than the leaves. During feedings we also offer some of her biscuits and produce, all of which she loves. Sometimes she will try to get biscuits and produce without eating her bamboo. Today we enjoyed a big laugh when I offered her a piece of bamboo, and she threw it away and looked at me for a biscuit. She needs to eat the bamboo to help with her digestion, so I gave her the hand signal for "bamboo" and asked her to go eat some. She knows that if she does this she will then get a biscuit. She promptly sat up, found her discarded bamboo, and ate it eagerly. Followed up, of course, by a biscuit.
    Jenny E.
    Lead Keeper, Carnivores

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Saturday, September 17

The twins are 2 weeks old! Whew! Even though Lun Lun and the panda team successfully reared twins three years ago, it really is an amazing feat that we have made it this far. Giant panda cubs are the most altricial young for any placental mammal. Caring for them is very intensive and time-consuming, for everyone involved! I'm sure Lun Lun would agree that they require lots of time and energy. But of course, all the work is worth the end result.
    Heather R.
    Keeper III, Mammals

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I can't believe the twin cubbies are 2 weeks old already. Wow how time flies!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sunday, September 18

Just take a moment to admire these adorable little paws! Even though they are super-cute, they still have sharp little needle-like nails. Lun Lun is such an amazing mom, doing what she does best by taking care of these wee little bears!
    Katie G.
    Keeper III, Mammals

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looking at mommy-mommy kisses-then looks straight at cam! finally tucked safe under chin #LunLun

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Monday, September 19

Time is flying for our panda cubs this week! We've reached a minor milestone that you at home may have noticed. Lun Lun has started to put her cubs down for brief amounts of time. This is normal and no cause for alarm. The older, and bigger, the cubs get, the more Lun Lun will put them down in order to get a drink of water, urinate, or defecate. She is quick to return to them when they start to vocalize for her, and care staff is always present and watching for any signs of concern. Lun Lun continues to be such an amazing mother, sometimes just hoping for a moment of "me time.”

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I just love watching the panda cam to see how gentle this giant bear is with her newborns. Panda's are such wonderful mothers, I think a lot of humans need to take lessons from them.

Panda Cam link

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    September 20, 2016

As you can see, these cubs are growing like weeds, and Lun is doing a spectacular job raising them. You have probably noticed that Lun is allowing more visibility of the cubs now that they are becoming more hairy. If you notice, to me, Cub A looks more hairy in the face than Cub B – these guys right now are going through their crazy hair phase. I guess, it always get “worse” before it gets better. Anyway, the cubs are doing great gaining weight; they’re exactly where they’re supposed to be! All in all, everyone is doing hunky-dory in Panda Land!
    Katie G.
    Keeper III, Mammals

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maybe cub A is a boy since he has a more hairy face and cub B is a girl...lol

I can't believe how fast they are growing, did Bei Bei grow this fast? I guess he did, it's been over a year now.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thursday, September 21

Many people wonder how the panda cubs are able to find where they are supposed to nurse under all that fur. Well, what they do is move their faces around until they are able to find where exactly where mom's milk is. Lun Lun does a wonderful job by placing the cubs in the area where they are supposed to nurse, and then they will root (move their face around) until they find mom's milk. If it takes one of the cubs awhile, and it can't find mom's milk, it will vocalize to let her know, and believe me, they will let her know. We rate the vocalizations from 1 to 3, with “1” being very quiet and “3” being very loud. Check out a video today on Zoo Atlanta Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Google+, to see Cub B rooting. Be sure to turn up the sound to hear the vocalizations!
    Katie G.
    Keeper III, Mammals

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Here is the video, enjoy!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast