Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Woman catches Mississippi's longest alligator on record

Woman catches Mississippi's longest alligator on record
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A Vicksburg woman has caught Mississippi’s longest alligator on record from public waters.

Tiffany Wienke tells The Clarion-Ledger that she and her party of six hunters could tell from the gator’s head that they had spotted a big one Saturday night in Claiborne County, near Port Gibson.

“There were a ton of people and we tried to get away from them,” she told The Clarion-Ledger. “We were just trolling through the water scanning bank to bank.”

Wienke says the gator managed to break both lines after a long struggle, but the hunters were able to hook the reptile again after it surfaced about 20 minutes later.

In total, it took the hunters nearly two hours to secure the gator, kill it and lift it into their boat.

Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks Alligator Program Coordinator Ricky Flynt determined that the 686-pound gator measured 13 feet, 7 7/8 inches, one-eighth more than the previous record. In a Facebook post, the agency said the alligator’s belly girth measured 59 inches and its tail girth measured 43 inches.
    Last edited by sunny47; 08-30-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Huge Alligator OMG

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wowsers!!!!!!
    What will they do with it?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Wowsers!!!!!!
    What will they do with it?
    Here is the answer as to what she is going to do with it Dingo>>>

The gator was caught and killed at Bayou Pierre in Claiborne County near Port Gibson.

“We didn’t realize how much work it was actually going to be to put that nearly 700 pound alligator in this boat,” said Wienke.

Wienke sold the alligator. It will be processed for its meat and skin.

She says it doesn’t pay much, but the hunt is worth it, for the adrenaline rush.

“It is time consuming. Its long hours. We were in the boat for 20 hours Friday night before we went back out Saturday night. But once you hook into something that big and you experience that controlled chaos, you’re at that animal’s mercy,” said Wienke

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sunny,I dont know if I could/would eat alligator,Ive been told that Croc is very watery and very hard to cook,I dont know if gators would be the same.
    We dont get gators here so I guess I would never be offered any anyway.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Thanks Sunny,I dont know if I could/would eat alligator,Ive been told that Croc is very watery and very hard to cook,I dont know if gators would be the same.
    We dont get gators here so I guess I would never be offered any anyway.
    I would be the same way Dingo I can't eat anything greasy at all or dark meat but at least she will get rid of it and in record books

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we would go to the NASCAR races in Talladega,AL., we always met up with friends from Shreveport and they would bring coolers full of alligator meat. And he would grill them all day long and serve it to the whole campground we stayed in . Not sure what to compare it to meat wise, but it tasted pretty good, or I had one to many beers and didn't know any better.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny47 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Huge Alligator OMG

O.M.G! What a monster!
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahk [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    When we would go to the NASCAR races in Talladega,AL., we always met up with friends from Shreveport and they would bring coolers full of alligator meat. And he would grill them all day long and serve it to the whole campground we stayed in . Not sure what to compare it to meat wise, but it tasted pretty good, or I had one to many beers and didn't know any better.
    Ive watched Swamp people,they love their gators any old way.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I too have friends from Gonzales LA and we use to go camping together with our kids when we lived in Oklahoma. They would invite there family and we had big black cauldrans for a big feast every nite and we never knew what we were eating there was one that I really loved and I asked and it was called Sauce Picant and then they told me it was turtle in a Roux sauce they had gator there and also snake non of it we ate but we did have the greatest Jambalya I have ever had so I asked first before I ate anything I learned my lesson but the turtle was very good!!!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I ate a grasshopper once when I was camping,somehow it found its way into the stew.