Thread: Texas:

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Texas:

Texas Set to Execute Man Who Pleaded Guilty to Killing 2

HUNTSVILLE, Texas — Oct 4, 2016, 4:11 PM ET

Summoned to court to answer charges that he made a threatening phone call to his neighbor's home in a rural East [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] county more than two years earlier, Barney Fuller Jr.'s anger smoldered as he began drinking.

Two nights later, Fuller left his home with a 12-gauge shotgun, a military-style semi-automatic carbine and a .40-caliber pistol and carried the weapons about 200 yards to the home of neighbors Nathan and Annette Copeland. He fired 59 shots into their house, kicked in the back door and walked inside, opening fire again.

Nathan Copeland, 43, was killed in his bedroom, shot four times. His wife, 39, was gunned down in a bathroom while calling [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. One of their two children was shot but survived.

On Wednesday, Fuller, 58, is set for lethal injection for the May 2003 rampage outside Lovelady, about 100 miles north of Houston.

He'd be the seventh convicted killer executed this year in Texas and the first in six months. His execution would be only the 16th this year nationally, a downturn fueled by fewer death sentences overall, courts halting scheduled executions for additional reviews, and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] states encountering difficulties obtaining drugs for lethal injections.

Hours after the shooting frenzy, Fuller called Houston County authorities and told them he would surrender peacefully at his home.

He pleaded guilty to capital murder, declined to be in the courtroom after individual questioning of prospective jurors began at his July 2004 trial, and asked that the trial's punishment phase go on without his presence. He didn't return to the courtroom until jurors returned with their death verdict.
    "He was very adamant not wanting to be there," William House, one of his trial lawyers, recalled. "From the very start, he just really didn't care."

Last year Fuller asked his lawyer to stop filing appeals.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Texas Inmate Barney Fuller Not Challenging His Execution

Oct 4 2016, 3:32 pm ET

Executions in the United States are generally accompanied by an element of uncertainty, with the condemned prisoner filing 11th hour appeals all the way to the highest court in the land and sometimes winning a reprieve at the last minute.

That's unlikely to be the case when Barney Fuller's date with death arrives Wednesday evening.

The Texas inmate — who admitted murdering neighbors Nathan and Annette Copeland in front of their kids after a long-running dispute — ordered his lawyer not to file challenges to his lethal injection.

In a letter to his attorney last year, Fuller said he he wasn't keeping track of the status of any proceedings.

"But I also really do not care and do not want to go on living in this hellhole," he wrote. "Do not do anything for me which will prolong my appeals and time here on Texas death row."

During a hearing in the spring, he testified that he had no issues with his death sentence and was "ready to move on."

"What's the point of sentencing someone to death, you know, if you're not going to carry on through with what you ordered," Fuller said.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Senior Member Asteroids Champion, Crazy Shuttle Champion, Barb Jump Champion, Arkanoid Champion MissWasabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see another article underneath the article you posted that Ohio is restarting their executions. Good.

Now if California could just get their act together.

2 Props are on the ballot this election:

One to abolish the death penalty which I will be voting NO on for the umpteenth time,
    and another to streamline the appeals process (which I think also includes some adjustments
    to the execution protocol), which I will be voting an emphatic YES to.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Texas Executes Convicted Killer in First U.S. Execution of 2017

Jan 11 2017, 8:12 pm ET

A Texas man convicted of killing two men in 2005 was executed Wednesday. His death was the first U.S. execution carried out in 2017.

Christopher Wilkins, 48, was convicted of fatally shooting Willie Freeman, 40, and Mike Silva, 33, because he was angry that he was tricked into paying $20 for a rock disguised as a chuck of crack cocaine.

Wilkins was declared dead at 6:29 p.m. local time. (7:29 p.m. ET), Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jason Clark said. Wilkins did not make a last statement.

The Supreme Court earlier Wednesday refused to block his execution. Wilkins argued that his lawyers did a bad job of defending him against charges.

Wilkins admitted to the 2005 double slaying — and claimed he had committed another murder and other crimes — during the sentencing phase of his trial.

"I tend to want to take the easy way out," the ex-con truck driver told the court. "I make bad decisions. I know they're bad decisions when I'm making them. I make them anyway."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    to say he is a jerk is kind
    my posts are my opinion only

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rolando Ruiz: Texas Executes Man in Murder-for-Hire Scheme

Mar 8 2017, 12:33 am ET

HUNTSVILLE, Texas — A paid hit man was executed Tuesday night in Texas for gunning down a San Antonio woman in a life insurance scheme nearly a quarter-century ago.

Rolando Ruiz was given a lethal injection for fatally shooting Theresa Rodriguez, 29, outside her home in 1992 as she was getting out of a car with her husband and brother-in-law, who both orchestrated her murder. Ruiz was paid $2,000 to carry out the killing.

Ruiz, strapped to the Texas death chamber gurney, looked directly at two sisters of his victim and their husbands and apologized profusely.

"Words cannot begin to express how sorry I am and the hurt I have caused you and your family," he told them as they looked through a window a few feet from him. "May this bring you peace and forgiveness."

He also thanked his own family for their love and support.

"I am at peace," he said. "Jesus Christ is Lord. I love you all."

As the lethal dose of pentobarbital was administered, he took several deep breaths, then began snoring quietly. All movement stopped within about 30 seconds.

Ruiz, 44, was pronounced dead 29 minutes later at 11:06 p.m., less than an hour before the execution warrant would have expired.

His execution, delayed for nearly five hours until the U.S. Supreme Court rejected three appeals Ruiz's attorneys had filed to try to stop the punishment, was the third this year in Texas and the fifth nationally.

"It's not going to bring her back, so it really doesn't mean very much," Susie Sanchez, whose daughter was killed in the contract murder, said Monday. Her daughters, who were among the witnesses Tuesday night, declined to comment afterward.

He at least add the decency to address the victims family, but I agree with Ms. Sanchez, it won't bring her daughter back.