Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bees chase car for two days to Rescue Their Queen!

Posted 11:42 am, May 25, 2016, by [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is the story of a ferocious army determined to rescue their queen from a metal fortress.

Or, viewed another way, a swarm of bees who, for two days, followed their queen bee trapped inside a Mitsubishi Outlander. Either way, it makes for a good tale.

The Outlander belongs to Carol Howarth, a 68-year-old grandmother, who had no idea she’d picked up a tiny winged passenger when she visited a nature reserve.

Later, when she stopped to go shopping in Haverfordwest, West Wales, the bees descended – thousands and thousands of them.
    We’ll let local ranger Tom Moses take it from here.

Moses, who works as a Pembrokeshire Coast National Park ranger, was driving by when he happened upon the raid.

“Driving through town noticed this going on outside the Lower Three Crowns and couldn’t resist getting involved!” he wrote in a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. (Headline: Bee-rilliant swarm.)

He was worried someone might do something “stupid.”

Bees are already dying from habitat loss and terrible farming practices, like pesticide use, he figured. The last thing you want is someone to pour boiling water on them to shoo them away from a car.

So, he called in reinforcements — the intrepid folks at the Pembrokeshire Beekeepers Association
    They gingerly nudged the bees into a box. Not so gingerly though. There were several stinging incidents like the “drunk bloke from pub went and swept a load of bees off car with hand looking for queen, got stung loads pfffft…..”

You’d think that would be the end of the story, but you’d be wrong.

The next morning, Howarth found the bees were back, she told The Telegraph.

So once again, out came the beekeepers.

By 6 p.m., her Outlander was free of the bees. (No word though on what happened to the queen.)

Pretty sure the bees saved their Queen, no way they would have just given up! We once had a hive in my water heater cabinet, they wouldn't leave without the Queen, we had to move the hive.
    Last edited by Aubrey; 05-25-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we all have fears right? sure we do. i started to fear spiders, snakes and bee's and thought my list was too long. for the most part the spiders that i've encountered are ugly, sometimes big but usually manageable. i have learned to lessen my fear of snakes a tad. bee's? that is without a doubt a fear that i cannot quell. gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm allergic to bee stings, so I am paranoid when I see one. I have to carry an EpiPen until bee season is over.

My worst nightmare would be having/seeing bees in the car.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GAH! I hate bees! The past few years we have had a problem with carpenter bees. They are huge! They hover at you at eye level and it feels like they are staring right at you. Then they make crazy loops and dive bomb you. Apparently they are the males protecting the female and her nest. Weird thing is only the female's sting. Their bodies look almost like a beetle. I keep a tennis racket on my back deck which overlooks our pool. I am sure I look like a nut swinging a tennis racket at bees that the neighbors can't see. LOL!! The other day I got one good. Slammed his nasty ass hard onto the deck. Then I took the racket and proceeded to beat the shit out of it using the frame. They really don't like to die! I must have whacked that thing 20 times and at the same time I am screaming "Die Fucker Die!". It ended up in the pool. My neighbor's must think I am certified crazy!!

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No bees,no crops and we are all doomed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    No bees,no crops and we are all doomed.
    totally agree! i am very, very careful with any use of pesticides and get sad when i see a dead bee on the patio (seems like i've seen more and more lately). i usually have a watering station in the yard for the bees but this year i'm having trouble deciding if that is something i want to do. do i provide water for the bees at he same time contributing to the mosquito problem or no?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Arizona hiker dies after being stung by 1,000 bees

PHOENIX — A 23-year-old Louisiana man died after being attacked by bees Thursday morning as he and a friend were hiking within Usery Mountain Park in Mesa, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office said.

A medical exam determined the man had been stung more than 1,000 times, officials said.

snipped

Another bee attack on Thursday afternoon, this one in Phoenix, sent a 51-year-old man with numerous bee stings and respiratory distress to a hospital.

Phoenix Fire officials said the man was experiencing periods of unconsciousness, and he was believed to be extremely allergic to the bee stings.

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Admin
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Arizona hiker dies after being stung by 1,000 bees

PHOENIX — A 23-year-old Louisiana man died after being attacked by bees Thursday morning as he and a friend were hiking within Usery Mountain Park in Mesa, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office said.

A medical exam determined the man had been stung more than 1,000 times, officials said.

snipped

Another bee attack on Thursday afternoon, this one in Phoenix, sent a 51-year-old man with numerous bee stings and respiratory distress to a hospital.

Phoenix Fire officials said the man was experiencing periods of unconsciousness, and he was believed to be extremely allergic to the bee stings.

How awful .

My FIL was attacked by a nest of ground bees and went into severe anaphylactic shock, very scary and deadly stuff. Fortunately, my he made it to the ER in time to be treated.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bees swarm bike in Loop, drawing curious onlookers

Very interesting what the beekeepers said, but glad I wasn't in that area...lol

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    3 hospitalized after bees swarm at Walmart in OK

Aug 7, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY (KDFR/CNN) - A transaction between two beekeepers outside a Walmart went dangerously out of control Saturday.

While being moved from one vehicle to another, the bees became disturbed, creating more than a little distress for the beekeepers and people nearby.

Several people were stung. Three were transported to the hospital, two of them in serious condition, authorities said.

“One of the beekeepers on the scene said each hive can have up to 22,000 bees, and at the time there were three hives, about half-full at the time, so there were anywhere from 30,000-plus bees,” Emergency Medical Services Authority Supervisor Colin Roy said.

more at link

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Boy attacked by swarm of bees at Palm Bay day care center

Sept 9, 2016

PALM BAY, Fla. - A 2-year-old boy is home from the hospital after being attacked by a swarm of bees at a Palm Bay day care center.

According to a Palm Bay police report, the boy was attacked while he was playing outside at Woodlake Child Development Center on Tuesday morning.

Daycare staff members told police they had to use a garden hose to get the bees off of him.

His mother told News 6 she came to pick up 2-year-old Julian after she got a call from the day care center.

"They picked him up from the corner where he's standing with no shirt, no pants, just a diaper and a pair of shoes," said Brittney Forsman. "His face was so puffy to the point where I knew he was in trouble."

Forsman said she rushed her son to Palm Bay Hospital, where nurses began treating him with anti-histamine and steroids.

She said Julian kept gagging and throwing up.

"Finally, he rubbed his nose, and I squeezed it from (the top) and pulled it," she said. "A bee came out."

She said the bee had been stuck in his sinus cavity for two hours.

"When we counted everything -- we couldn't see the ones in his hair -- it was 22 stings altogether," she said.

Forsman told News 6 her child has been stung before at the daycare facility, and she's angry the staff didn't call an ambulance.

According to the police report, the owner of the daycare center told police she knew she had a problem with bees, but exterminators were not successful in removing them.

Forsman asked the Department of Children and Families to investigate.

more at link

Poor little boy, prayers that he doesn't suffer too much from the stings.

Admin
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Aw, poor little guy.

Bees mean some serous business!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Safford boy stung 400 times by Africanized bees

Feb 21, 2017

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -

A Safford family credits the quick action of a volunteer firefighter for saving the life of an 11-year-old boy stung more than 400 times by Africanized bees.

On Monday night, family say Andrew Kunz and a friend were shooting BB guns at an old rusty truck near their home when they mistakenly hit a hidden beehive.

“Andrew was trying to run up the hill to get away from them and they just kept attacking him and he kind of rolled back down and went into a fetal position trying to protect himself,” said Petrea Kunz, the boy’s grandmother.

The 11-year-old was stung more than 400 times all over his body. The family says there were so many stings on Andrew’s head that it looked like a pin cushion.

“These bees, they don’t stop. They just coming and swarm and keep coming and coming and coming. A little kid doesn’t have much of a chance against them,” said Kreg Kunz, the boy’s grandfather.

Safford Volunteer Fire Chief Clark Bingham arrived on scene and despite an allergy to bees, ran into the dangerous swarm to carry Andrew to safety. Bingham was released from the hospital Monday night.

snipped

A Graham County Sheriff’s deputy that also tried to help was stung 100 times and is expected to be OK.