Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

OUAC Weather Reports

I thought I would start a thread for reporting our weather conditions. I'll start by saying we were having some strong thunderstorms going on this afternoon/evening in Chicago.

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tropical Depression #3 forms in the Gulf

Tropical Depression #3 has just formed in the southern Gulf of Mexico and is forecast to strengthen into Tropical Storm Colin as early as today.

The National Hurricane Center has issued a Tropical Storm Warning for parts of Florida's west coast from Indian Pass to Englewood, Florida.

The storm is expected to move north northeast across the eastern Gulf of Mexico and towards Florida's west coast.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautiful pic! i love thunderstorms and was hoping for one yesterday as the conditions seemed right but we didn't get any.

today is going to be hot and a tad humid where i am.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    June 22, 2016

The Chicago area could see golf-ball-or-larger sized hail, winds up to 80 miles an hour, tornadoes and torrential downpours Wednesday afternoon as a storm moves through the area.

"We're asking for people to have a way to receive severe weather warnings this afternoon, have a plan in place to take shelter away from windows, a sturdy building," National Weather Service Meteorologist Jamie Enderlen said. "An interior room, maximize the number of walls between you and the outside and minimize the number of windows."

The winds could produce damage comparable to a low-end tornado, Enderlen said, and the storm could produce 2-inch hail. At that size, it's damaging to cars and glass. They're expected to arrive in McHenry County close to 4 or 5 p.m. and move into Chicago later.

Not looking forward to this storm today!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    June 22, 2016

The Chicago area could see golf-ball-or-larger sized hail, winds up to 80 miles an hour, tornadoes and torrential downpours Wednesday afternoon as a storm moves through the area.

"We're asking for people to have a way to receive severe weather warnings this afternoon, have a plan in place to take shelter away from windows, a sturdy building," National Weather Service Meteorologist Jamie Enderlen said. "An interior room, maximize the number of walls between you and the outside and minimize the number of windows."

The winds could produce damage comparable to a low-end tornado, Enderlen said, and the storm could produce 2-inch hail. At that size, it's damaging to cars and glass. They're expected to arrive in McHenry County close to 4 or 5 p.m. and move into Chicago later.

Not looking forward to this storm today!
    Me too I heard on MSNBC this morning when I here Kankakee County where I live Bill Kerans/meterologist said said that is the bullseye for tornados today we live in the country with only fields around us. I have been upset ever since. It is dark out here already but my Hubby turned on the weather radio and it will happened later on today. Please say a prayer for us!!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny47 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Me too I heard on MSNBC this morning when I here Kankakee County where I live Bill Kerans/meterologist said said that is the bullseye for tornados today we live in the country with only fields around us. I have been upset ever since. It is dark out here already but my Hubby turned on the weather radio and it will happened later on today. Please say a prayer for us!!

Praying for you and your family, being in an open area is very scary. We are supposed to have golf size hail, 80 mile per hour winds, torrential rain etc in the city, please say a prayer for me too! Thank you! It is starting to get dark here, ComEd (electric) is talking on the news now, I am scared now too. I am on the 3rd floor of an apt building, roof right above me, going to go in my apt hallway away from windows if it gets real bad.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh no, you two be careful, don't want anything happening to you guys!! Keep us updated!
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Oh no, you two be careful, don't want anything happening to you guys!! Keep us updated!
    It is raining now in the city, but the BIG storm is suppose to be later on this afternoon. No thunder or lightening yet.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    We too are vulnerable here in the country with cornfields all around us its dark out now but we are going to go to my cousins house where it's safe. Suppose to hit later this afternoon!! Got WGN on now weather report!! MKM Stay safe!!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    It is raining now in the city, but the BIG storm is suppose to be later on this afternoon. No thunder or lightening yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny47 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    We too are vulnerable here in the country with cornfields all around us its dark out now but we are going to go to my cousins house where it's safe. Suppose to hit later this afternoon!! Got WGN on now weather report!! MKM Stay safe!!
    Don't wait too long to head for a shelter, saying prayers for you both! *Hugs*
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thank you, me and Rissa(my cat) plan on laying low if it gets bad. Be careful and stay safe!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you, me and Rissa(my cat) plan on laying low if it gets bad. Be careful and stay safe!
    You too MKM I have WGN on now and haven't heard the weather report yet My Dh loves the weather on there with Tom Skilling!!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You too MKM I have WGN on now and haven't heard the weather report yet My Dh loves the weather on there with Tom Skilling!!
    Yes, I have channel 9 on too. Just a steady rain for now going on here. Is it raining by you yet?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have channel 9 on too. Just a steady rain for now going on here. Is it raining by you yet?
    Yes I have it on right now Yes it raining here now it dark and dreary outside now. We are going to try to leave about 4PM to a safe place. Keep Safe MKM Please.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They have changed the time now to 7pm for the storm and then into tonight through tomorrow.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I just saw this on twitter, eerie that it was one year ago today and we are expecting bad weather.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just saw this on twitter, eerie that it was one year ago today and we are expecting bad weather.

Wow I remrember that I live about 30 miles from Coal City it's west of me I went to see the damage there it was a whole row of houses leveled to the ground in a new subdivision they seem to get a lot of tornados in that area!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wow I remrember that I live about 30 miles from Coal City it's west of me I went to see the damage there it was a whole row of houses leveled to the ground in a new subdivision they seem to get a lot of tornados in that area!
    Rain has stopped, the sun is shining bright here, calm before the storm. I remember that tornado too last year.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rain has stopped, the sun is shining bright here, calm before the storm. I remember that tornado too last year.
    Back in late 60's we had back to back tornados here we lived on the west side and we got nothing but now we live in the country where it not protected well. The sun is coming out here too now and very humid outside because of all the rain. Stay Safe my friend!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW...you two be careful out there. I'll be thinking about ya..

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahk [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    WOW...you two be careful out there. I'll be thinking about ya..
    Thank you Sarahk, it is still quiet for now just very cloudy.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Stay safe.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The sky is getting dark now so I know the storms are on their way now. My phone just went off with a tornado watch for my area.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Im saying a prayer for you all.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Im saying a prayer for you all.
    Thank you Dingo.

Admin
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was just watching this on the news as we were eating dinner . I *think* I am far enough north so that we'll be missed, but the clouds are darkening right now and looks like we might get some rain.

Mkm, stay safe !

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I was just watching this on the news as we were eating dinner . I *think* I am far enough north so that we'll be missed, but the clouds are darkening right now and looks like we might get some rain.

Mkm, stay safe !
    According to the news it won't be here for another 3 hours? I think before that.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    10 Ways To Protect Yourself During a Tornado Alert

1. Create a plan ahead of time where your family will seek shelter when a tornado warning is issued.

2. If you are living in a high-rise building, you do not have to get into a basement if there is limited time before the tornado reaches your location. Identify a small interior room in order to maximize the number of walls and minimize the number of windows between you and the outside.

3. Get under a heavy table or work bench if a small interior room is not available to you

4. Go underneath a stairwell if there are no other safe options. The stairwell provides stability and concrete walls as protection.

5. Avoid long corridors with windows and large openings. If the walls and roof are taken out by extreme winds, it will collapse and the broken glass will fly down the corridors.

6. Do not open windows as it will give wind a way into the building.

7. If you are in a location with a lot of glass, find something, whether a piece of clothing or firm object to cover your head.

8. Crouch as low as possible to avoid debris from hitting you.

9. Bring a flashlight in case the power goes out.

10. Do not rely on sirens. They are directed to those outdoors and if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, the sound waves won’t get to you. A weather radio can notify you in the event of a tornado as well as wireless emergency alerts on your phone. Having multiple ways to get warnings is helpful in case power is lost.

According to meteorologist Jamie Enderlen at the NWS Chicago, there are 13 minutes between when the NWS issues a warning and when a tornado hits. Execute your plan into action immediately and seek safety as soon as a warning is issued.

Source: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself During a Tornado Alert | NBC Chicago [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast