Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Court Decides How Much Their 6 Year Old Son's Life Is Worth

Their 6-year-old was killed with a neighbor’s gun. A court just decided how much his life was worth

By [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - May 25, 2016

On Monday, May 23, a judge awarded Christine and Ronald Holt $572,588.26 in the wrongful-death suit of their 6-year-old son, Brandon Holt, who was accidentally killed by a gun the hands of a 4-year-old neighbor. (NJ.com)
    Anthony Senatore never disputed leaving his rifle under his bed, unsecured and loaded.

The New Jersey father pleaded guilty in 2014 to child endangerment after his 4-year-old son accidentally used the gun to shoot and kill Brandon Holt, a 6-year-old neighbor, at Senatore’s Toms River home, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

More than three years after the shooting, a judge had to do the unthinkable: Determine how much the child’s death was worth monetarily to the people who loved him most — his parents.

The answer: $572,588.26

That’s how much was awarded Monday to Christine and Ronald Holt in a wrongful-death suit the couple brought against their former neighbors, Anthony and Melissa Senatore, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

The calculation, the site reported, was based on several factors that included the future companionship Brandon would have provided his family, as well as “his pain and suffering before his death and for the family’s unpaid medical and funeral expenses.”

The judgment also included punitive damages, in an amount that hasn’t been determined.

“On April 9, 2013, we had to watch my sweet, beautiful, 6-year-old boy take his last breath,” Christine Holt told a judge during a sentencing hearing in 2015, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. “We used to imagine what he would be like when he got older and grew up. Now all we can do is imagine what he could have been.”

This week’s court proceeding, NJ.com reported, unfolded in less than two hours and included more wrenching testimony from Brandon Holt’s mother, who recalled encountering her badly injured son; he was gasping for air after being shot, his eyes open, his mouth bleeding, according to NJ.com.

“I was rubbing his legs, telling him to breathe,” Christine Holt said. “I kept telling him I loved him.”

She told him help was coming, she testified.

But Brandon Holt did not survive.

The judge found Anthony Senatore 90 percent responsible for the boy’s death and Melissa Senatore 10 percent responsible, for not being aware of the weapon’s location in their home.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Heartbreaking, I feel bad for everyone involved. It had to be difficult for the judge to determine the amount the parents should receive.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i understand that punitive damages are still to be decided but will homeowners insurance have to pay the 500k figure?