Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

2 large rodents escape a Toronto zoo

May 25, 2016

snipped

Megan Price, a spokeswoman with the city’s Parks, Forestry and Recreation division that runs High Park Zoo, says the search for two missing capybaras, which resemble tailless beavers with short legs, is focused on the area’s creeks.

The animals, native to South Africa, are the world’s largest rodents. They weigh about 30 pounds (13 kilograms) each and could grow to 100 pounds (45 kilograms).

The pair has been on the lam since Tuesday when they took off while they were being introduced to their enclosure as part of a zoo exchange.

The semi-aquatic rodents can be difficult to find because they can remain still and submerged under water for hours with just their noses sticking out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wow, they weigh more than my little girl Ms.BooBooBad!

Hope they find them safe and before they breed with the local rodents. lol
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yikes!

Scary.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be scared at all to encounter these. They are by nature quite tame like a giant guinea pig. We have some at a local zoo that have a beautiful set up, plenty of land and water. I loved seeing them and getting pics of them.

This is quite long, but it's cute how this one capy interracts w/ his owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hope they are rescued safely! i think they are sort of cute and are probably wondering where their next meal is.