Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cassie Nist ‏@cassienist 3m3 minutes ago

Feds are looking into mom Mingming Chen who is not a U.S. Citizen to determine if she was here illegally
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cassie Nist ‏@cassienist 5m5 minutes ago

Chief Mark Brink says Zhao parents gave evidence that lead to her body inside restaurant. She was not in school yet & had recently turned 5

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Chinese restaurant repeatedly closed for illness by parents charged in Ashley Zhao's death

Jan 11, 2017

JACKSON TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- The Chinese restaurant where 5-year-old Ashley Zhao was found dead Tuesday had been repeatedly closed by her parents due to illness.

"I'm sorry. We are not open right now," a post on Ang's Cuisine Facebook page declared. "We will try to open later on during the day, if she (wife) feels better. I will post, if anything changes."

This was a recurring theme for Ang's Cuisine that stretches back several years. Scrolling through their Facebook page shows a large portion of posts were related to closing the restaurant.

"I'm sorry, we are not open today. My wife is still not feeling well," another post on a different date stated. "She will try some gas-x today and see how it goes. I am too worn out from opening up by myself for the pass 2 days. We will be closed today."

snipped screenshots from the article

more at link and numerous screenshots of many many times they were closed due to mostly the wife's illinesses.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

ETA Link to the FB page of the restaurant

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bob Jones WEWS ‏@bobjonesTV 1h1 hour ago

Police & Massillon law director say murder of 5-year-old Ashley Zhao could be pursued as a death penalty case. Up to a grand jury. @WEWS

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I went to the restaurant FB page, the restaurant was closed constantly because the wife was always "ill" and it was too hard for the husband to work alone. Something serious is going on in that family and precious little Ashley was murdered because of it. Just breaks my heart.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    JACKSON TOWNSHIP, OH (WOIO) -

Mingming Chen, who is charged with murder for her youngest daughter's death, is not a U.S. citizen and her oldest daughter is now in protective custody, according to police.

Jackson Township Police Chief Mark Brink said the FBI is working to find out if Chen is in this country legally.

Authorities said Chen struck Ashley Zhao, 5, several times in the head with her right first before reporting her missing Monday evening from a restaurant owned by the girl's father Liang Zhao -- who is a U.S. citizen. Chen and Zhao also have a 6-year-old daughter. She is in protective custody with Stark County Children and Family Services.

snipped

Originally the parents said Ashley had wandered out the back door of the restaurant. Her body was found a day later "concealed" in the restaurant, police said. Officers would not comment further about where Ashley's body was found.

Brink said he has never in his career dealt with such a horrific case.

Emergency calls about the incident are not being released by police because they are part of the ongoing investigation. No domestic violence or child abuse calls were previously made at the restaurant or the girl's home, authorities said.

Both parents are locked up in the Stark County jail. In a court appearance on Wednesday, they both had bond set at $5 million. The judge noted that the bonds were so high because they are a flight risk.

Prayers for all the first responders who have to be at the scene.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Police investigating past of parents accused in girl’s murder; Victim’s sister in foster care

Jan 11, 2017

JACKSON TOWNSHIP, Ohio – Stark County Job and Family Services has taken temporary custody of the sister of 5-year-old Ashley Zhao, who was found dead in her parents’ restaurant Tuesday.

After the arrest of the girl’s mother Ming Ming Chen and father Liang Zhao in connection with her death on Tuesday, a 6-year-old sister of the victim was placed in foster care, according to Stark County Job and Family Services Chief Legal Counsel Jerry Coleman. He said no other immediate relatives were located.

A shelter care hearing will take place in which the county will seek to continue that temporary custody as it explores whether permanent placement with a relative is appropriate, according to Coleman.

The sister was in kindergarten at Strousser Elementary School, according to the Jackson Local School District. Ashley Zhao was not a student there.

Coleman said job and family services had no previous history with the family, but Jackson Township police are investigating whether past abuse occurred. Chief Mark Brink said investigators will take a close look at whether an autopsy of the girl, being performed Wednesday, reveals any evidence of that.

“This investigation is not over. We’re going to continue to look at how this child was being raised, if there was previous abuse to this child and if there was abuse what kind of abuse was done to this child,” Brink said.

“I think you’re going to tell me that if I don’t look to see if that was the first time, then I haven’t done my job. It is the obvious place we have to go to.”

I feel so sorry for Ashley's sister, losing her sister and her murdering parents and having no family to take her. Going to a stranger's home, so sad. Who knows what abuse she has endured her short life? Saying prayers for her.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sara Goldenberg Verified account ‏@SaraGoldenberg 38m38 minutes ago

About 100 people show up at vigil to remember 5-year-old Ashley Zhao. Parents are in custody for her death.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Courtesy of twitter

Admin
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the updates, kitty.

The 'mother' (using that term very loosely) must have hit Ashley with tremendous force . Something was very, very wrong with the family dynamic, most probably NOT anything remotely related to having to take gas-x .

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bob Jones WEWS ‏@bobjonesTV 17m17 minutes ago

Autopsy complete on 5-year-old Ashley Zhao. No ruling on cause. Waiting on toxicology. Could take weeks or months. @WEWS

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    Thanks for all the updates, kitty.

The 'mother' (using that term very loosely) must have hit Ashley with tremendous force . Something was very, very wrong with the family dynamic, most probably NOT anything remotely related to having to take gas-x .
    She said she punched her in the face with her right fist, I just can't imagine how hard she hit this baby.

I couldn't believe the accomplice husband said that about taking gas-x on his restaurant's FB page!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Custody hearing delayed in Ashley Zhao case

Jan 12, 2017

A custody hearing in the case of a 5-year-old girl found dead in a Jackson Township restaurant has been delayed until Thursday. The hearing involves the placement of the girl's older sister.

CANTON A hearing to determine who will care for the older sister of the 5-year-old girl found dead in a Jackson Township restaurant has been postponed.

An issue concerning an interpreter apparently caused the delay, said Jerry Coleman, assistant deputy director of legal services for Stark County Job and Family Services. The interpreter apparently is not certified with the Ohio Supreme Court. Stark County Family Court Judge David Nist raised the issue during the proceeding Wednesday afternoon.

snipped

The couple did not speak during the custody hearing before it was reset.

Ashley's 6-year-old sister remained in emergency custody of Stark County Job and Family Services pending a hearing rescheduled for 2:30 p.m. Thursday. Coleman had said earlier Wednesday that the agency planned to seek temporary custody of the sibling at the hearing. At that point, no relatives had been identified for placement, he said.

However, following the postponed hearing, Coleman said that the agency was continuing to evaluate potential placements for the sibling. A sister and the father of Liang Zhao attended Wednesday's proceeding in Family Court. The relatives are from out of state and it was not clear if Ashley's sister could be placed with them.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    staceyfreyfox8 Verified account ‏@staceyfreyfox8 2h2 hours ago

Autopsy on Ashley Zhao done yday. Coroner not releasing any info. Will send it to Stark County Pros.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    North Canton mom charged with daughter’s murder ordered deported in 2012

Jan 12, 2017

JACKSON TWP, Ohio - The mother accused of hitting and killing her five-year-old daughter, then concealing the girl's body inside the family's restaurant was ordered deported to China in 2012.

A spokesperson for the New York Law Firm that represented MingMing Chen tells Fox 8 News that she was ordered to be deported by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in December 2012, the highest court to which she could have appealed to stay in the United States.

Court records show Chen applied for asylum in early 2009 based on her religion, political opinion, and membership in a "particular social group" explaining she practiced Falun Gong, a Chinese spiritual practice for which she claimed individuals were persecuted by the Chinese government.

An immigration judge determined that Chen was not credible based in part on inconsistencies between her testimony, written submissions, and supporting evidence and ordered her removed to China.

During the appeal in 2012, court records show that Chen claimed after she fled China her brother was arrested for the same practice.

She also claimed to have been detained in an education camp for one month, and that she owed an aunt $20,000 to repay money loaned to pay a person referred to as a "snakehead" who smuggled her into the United States.

Her final appeal for asylum was denied in 2012 and according to Yan Kruger, a paralegal with the law firm that represented her in the case, Chen was ordered to be deported and was expected to be deported immediately.

Her attorneys said she was notified, but they could not explain why she was still in the United States.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Police say slain girl's family lived in isolation

Jan 11, 2017

Though they owned Ang’s restaurant, in many ways Mingming Chen and Liang Zhao lived in isolation.

Neighbors at their apartment complex say they were rarely seen, while police in Jackson Township wonder whether that might have been intentional.

“They worked in that restaurant from morning till night,” Chief Mark Brink said. “They really had no friends in the community that certainly that they were telling us about.”

On Wednesday many people from the community left flowers and gifts outside the restaurant. Yet when asked whether they knew the family personally, many answered “no.”

“They were real quiet,” said Patrick Swain, who used them for delivery. “That’s what really surprised me about this whole thing.”

Customers described the father as being “the most talkative” and speaking “perfect English” while his wife was “the most quiet” and often stayed in the kitchen.

Their 5-year old daughter Ashley was described as the friendliest. One customer said she liked to color and would hand out her pictures.

Police say the family did not own a television and that Ashley was not enrolled in any kind of school.

Her world was contained to the restaurant.

Police say they found a small bed in the back where she napped and that her parents lent her an iPad.

One of the rare glimpses into their world came from the restaurant’s Facebook page.

More than two dozen times last year closings were announced on account of the wife not feeling well.

Other posts detailed the difficulties of answering the phone or doing restaurant prep work. Some from the father said he was simply “too tired to open” on account of caring for his sick wife.

Whatever condition she had, if any, remains a mystery.

“We were not advised of any problem health wise with her,” Chief Brink said. “I’m not saying that there is or there isn’t. I’m not aware of any health problem with her.”

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sister of murdered 5-year-old stays in custody of family services

Jan 12, 2017

STARK COUNTY, Ohio — The sister of a little girl who was found murdered at her family’s restaurant in Jackson Township will stay in the custody of Stark County Job and Family Services.

That decision came out of a Thursday custody hearing for the sister of 5-year-old Ashley Zhao.

So sad that this little 6 year old has no family, I wish I could take her.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama View Post
    Sister of murdered 5-year-old stays in custody of family services

Jan 12, 2017

STARK COUNTY, Ohio — The sister of a little girl who was found murdered at her family’s restaurant in Jackson Township will stay in the custody of Stark County Job and Family Services.

That decision came out of a Thursday custody hearing for the sister of 5-year-old Ashley Zhao.

So sad that this little 6 year old has no family, I wish I could take her.
    Yes, it's a shame, she's lost everyone.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    'I can't find my daughter,' father told 911 dispatcher before girl found dead in restaurant

Thursday, January 12th 2017, 12:58 pm PSTThursday, January 12th 2017, 1:04 pm PST

NORTH CANTON, OH (WOIO) -A 5-year-old girl was found dead in her family's Jackson Township restaurant earlier this week. A 911 call made from her parent the day she went missing has been released.

Ashley Zhao, 5, was reported missing Monday.

In a 911 call, the girl's father tells a dispatcher that they hadn't seen her in about five hours.

"I can't find my daughter," he said.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I.C.E. seeks custody of woman accused of killing her little girl

Thursday, January 12th 2017, 12:27 pm PST-Thursday, January 12th 2017, 12:34 pm PST

NORTH CANTON, OH (WOIO) -[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] says they’ve filed a detainer to take custody of Ming Ming Chen, the woman accused of killing her daughter and concealing her body in a family restaurant.

I.C.E. would seek custody of Chen at the conclusion of her local charges in Stark County involving murder and felonious assault.

In 2009 Chen applied for asylum based on her religion, political opinion and membership in a social group that she suffered persecution by the Chinese government.

She testified her brother was arrested after she fled China but her asylum application didn't indicate the arrest of any family member. Chen also testified she was held in an education camp for a month but there were discrepancies if she was actually detained. Finally, Chen testified she owed money to somebody who smuggled her into the country. She didn't say if she was smuggled by her own free will or if she was forced into a smuggling ring.

Her request to seek asylum in the United States was denied and Chen faced deportation in 2012.

Federal court records suggest she was living in the United States illegally.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
    'I can't find my daughter,' father told 911 dispatcher before girl found dead in restaurant

Thursday, January 12th 2017, 12:58 pm PSTThursday, January 12th 2017, 1:04 pm PST

NORTH CANTON, OH (WOIO) -A 5-year-old girl was found dead in her family's Jackson Township restaurant earlier this week. A 911 call made from her parent the day she went missing has been released.

In a 911 call, the girl's father tells a dispatcher that they hadn't seen her in about five hours.

Shame on him when he helped. He should of called 911 when his wife murdered Ashley.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mingming Chen and Liang Zhao Custody Hearing 01/12/17

Courtesy of Court Chatter View

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He sounded so calm, you could really tell by his voice that was a "fake" call. Disgusting.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    snipped

At the Stark County Coroner's Office, an autopsy was completed Wednesday, but no one has claimed the body of little Ashley Zhao as of late Friday morning. Funeral or memorial services also remain unknown.

Heartbreaking....

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama View Post
    snipped

At the Stark County Coroner's Office, an autopsy was completed Wednesday, but no one has claimed the body of little Ashley Zhao as of late Friday morning. Funeral or memorial services also remain unknown.

Heartbreaking....
    This make me so sad, surely she has a family member or perhaps a close family friend..?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This make me so sad, surely she has a family member or perhaps a close family friend..?
    There was no one to take custody of Ashley's older sister, so I can't see someone claiming little Ashley's body.

I think this is one of the saddest situations I have ever seen.

I think the town will gather and give Ashley a funeral, they came together for a vigil.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Community reacts to Ashley Zhao's parents' behavior in courtroom

Jan 13, 2017

What some have described as emotionless or cold behavior have led to questions surrounding cultural differences in the murder case of 5-year-old Ashley Zhao.

Mingming Chen and Liang Zhao, both facing murder charges, appeared in court the morning after their daughter was found inside their Chinese restaurant in Jackson Township.

A day after that, the parents arrived in court once again in a custody hearing for Ashley’s 6-year-old sister. Not much in the parent’s demeanor changes with the exception of what appeared to be MingMing Chen staring in
    the direction of Ashley’s father. The behavior has left some wondering if cultural differences plays a role.

"In our culture, when you’re in an unfamiliar territory, you have a tendency to look at the person you’re most familiar with," said Johnny Wu, co-founder of the Cleveland Asian Festival and V.P. of this with the OCA Greater Cleveland Chapter, an organization dedicated to the social, political and economic well-being of Asian Pacific Americans.

snipped

Jackson Township police did note that authorities would be consulting with cultural advisors to help better understand the parents’ behavior. However, Wu and others in the community say while someone's cultural background can shed some light into their behavior, it's not the definitive answer as many variables can come into play. An individual's interpretation of another’s expression...is just that.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cassie Nist ‏@cassienist 4h4 hours ago

ICE released the following additional statement regarding Ming Ming Chen living illegally in U.S. #AshleyZhao

Admin
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cultural differences or not, killing your child by punching her in the head is reprehensible.

I hope both parents rot and the surviving 6 year old finds a loving home.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Memorial Grows for Ashley Zhao

(Jackson Township, Ohio) A memorial continues to grow at the scene of a horrific crime in Stark County.

Last week 5-year-old Ashley Zhao lost her life at her family’s Chinese restaurant, Ang’s Cuisine in Jackson Township.

Her mother, Mingming Chen is accused of striking the child multiple times, killing her.

snipped

The scene of the tragedy now overflowing with love, prayers and a promise to remember.

The community continues to leave cards, messages, balloons, flowers and stuffed animals in front of the store to honor a life taken far too soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast