Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New dog food at Aldi

Heads us if you have an Aldi near you. Normally that would be the last place I would buy Belle's food as I am very particular about what she eats and so is her doctor. But this caught my eye - a new dog food they have called "Pure Being". Meat is the first ingredient, no fillers or grains. Lots of fruits and vegetables. No red dye. $5.99 for a four pound bag which is a very good price.

Here are the ingredients: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is the Salmon and sweet potato one - there is also a chicken and rice one.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi, Patriot - I went to meet a friend for lunch one day last week and say my first Aldi. Meant to stop on the way back home and forgot it.

This is o/t but want to ask people what they think. I have had Maddie since January 2013 and to varying degrees she has had itchy skin. I've tried this and that (vet recommendations) and have medication that I give her daily but she still itches ............SO

My son suggested I try a raw food diet for her. She gets a chicken wing in the morning, and at night she gets cooked chicken gizzards (no salt) with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and carrots. She gobbles it right up...... and I swear we went to bed last night and she did not start her scratching routine.

Has anyone else tried the 'raw' food approach?

Admin
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC View Post
    Hi, Patriot - I went to meet a friend for lunch one day last week and say my first Aldi. Meant to stop on the way back home and forgot it.

This is o/t but want to ask people what they think. I have had Maddie since January 2013 and to varying degrees she has had itchy skin. I've tried this and that (vet recommendations) and have medication that I give her daily but she still itches ............SO

My son suggested I try a raw food diet for her. She gets a chicken wing in the morning, and at night she gets cooked chicken gizzards (no salt) with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and carrots. She gobbles it right up...... and I swear we went to bed last night and she did not start her scratching routine.
    t
    Has anyone else tried the 'raw' food approach?
    We have Sam (Vizsla) on mostly grain/preservative free food and he hasn't had the 'itchies' since. I do supplement both of our dogs' food with fresh steamed veggies (sweet potatoes, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, etc.) and sometimes a bit of whole grain rice. Sam's problem seemed to be more the preservatives and too much corn meal. I took us a while to figure it out.

Hopefully someone will have some more info on feeding a raw diet. Seems like what you're feeding Maddie is doing the trick, though!

ETA: just make sure what you feed is 100% nutritionally complete for a dog (like the vitamins and minerals) if you aren't feeding anything that is made commercially where that would already be added.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not a dog owner but with my own dry skin I am trying a natural soap on my skin.
    Could what they are being washed with contribute to their itching problem?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    We have Sam (Vizsla) on mostly grain/preservative free food and he hasn't had the 'itchies' since. I do supplement both of our dogs' food with fresh steamed veggies (sweet potatoes, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, etc.) and sometimes a bit of whole grain rice. Sam's problem seemed to be more the preservatives and too much corn meal. I took us a while to figure it out.

Hopefully someone will have some more info on feeding a raw diet. Seems like what you're feeding Maddie is doing the trick, though!

ETA: just make sure what you feed is 100% nutritionally complete for a dog (like the vitamins and minerals) if you aren't feeding anything that is made commercially where that would already be added.
    Thanks for mentioning the other veggies. I prepared a batch of those I mentioned yesterday, but will get others to add especially the sweet potatoes. They had gizzards and hearts on sale yesterday so I bought 4 packages to have when needed She really seems to enjoy her new diet.

Re: Baths - I have tried EVERYTHING. I have even changed the laundry detergent I use to Dreft (baby stuff) to see if that helps.

Thanks for your suggestions, maryjane.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 View Post
    I am not a dog owner but with my own dry skin I am trying a natural soap on my skin.
    Could what they are being washed with contribute to their itching problem?
    Justy, I have tried so many things with Maddie and it seems nothing is working.

I am hoping the raw chicken (with the skin on) will help put some 'fat' in her body/skin.

Admin
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC View Post
    Justy, I have tried so many things with Maddie and it seems nothing is working.

I am hoping the raw chicken (with the skin on) will help put some 'fat' in her body/skin.
    That is certainly worth a try, Sweet, it could make all the difference. Poor Maddie...and you! She's lucky to own you .

If you will, let us know how it goes!