21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

David Cassidy has died, reveals he is battling dementia

David Cassidy reveals he is battling dementia

February 20, 2017 at 4:52pm EST

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

David Cassidy is battling dementia.
    The 66-year-old actor, widely known for his starring role as Keith Partridge on the 1970s series The Partridge Family, reveals to PEOPLE that he is fighting the memory loss disease.
    The actor, who watched his grandfather struggle with the disease and witnessed his mother “disappear” from the disease herself, tells PEOPLE of his diagnosis:*“I was in denial, but a part of me always knew this was coming.”
    Now that he’s come to terms his condition, Cassidy has made the decision to stop touring as a musician to concentrate*on his health and happiness.*“I want to focus on what I am, who I am, and how I’ve been without any distractions,” he says. “I want to love. I want to enjoy life.”

Cassidy’s revelation*follows a roller coaster of personal ups and downs that the actor has faced in the past decade, including*a show in Agoura Hills, California, this past weekend where*Cassidy repeatedly struggled to remember lyrics to songs he had been singing for nearly 50*years.
    In November 2010, he was charged with a DUI and was subsequently charged with the same offense in August 2013 and January 2014. A month after his third arrest, his wife, Sue Shifrin-Cassidy, filed for divorce. In February 2015, the actor filed for bankruptcy and was charged following his hit-and-run eight months later in October 2015.
    Last edited by mykittysmama; 11-22-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny47 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    David Cassidy reveals he is battling dementia

February 20, 2017 at 4:52pm EST

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

David Cassidy is battling dementia.
    The 66-year-old actor, widely known for his starring role as Keith Partridge on the 1970s series The Partridge Family, reveals to PEOPLE that he is fighting the memory loss disease.
    The actor, who watched his grandfather struggle with the disease and witnessed his mother “disappear” from the disease herself, tells PEOPLE of his diagnosis:*“I was in denial, but a part of me always knew this was coming.”
    Now that he’s come to terms his condition, Cassidy has made the decision to stop touring as a musician to concentrate*on his health and happiness.*“I want to focus on what I am, who I am, and how I’ve been without any distractions,” he says. “I want to love. I want to enjoy life.”

Cassidy’s revelation*follows a roller coaster of personal ups and downs that the actor has faced in the past decade, including*a show in Agoura Hills, California, this past weekend where*Cassidy repeatedly struggled to remember lyrics to songs he had been singing for nearly 50*years.
    In November 2010, he was charged with a DUI and was subsequently charged with the same offense in August 2013 and January 2014. A month after his third arrest, his wife, Sue Shifrin-Cassidy, filed for divorce. In February 2015, the actor filed for bankruptcy and was charged following his hit-and-run eight months later in October 2015.
    Thanks Sunny!! So sad. Can you imagine how frustrating it must be for him to know he has it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sunny.

It is sad, but like what he said “I want to love. I want to enjoy life.”

Memory loss disease? Is this different than Alzheimer's? Or a milder form?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperdog [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Thanks Sunny.

It is sad, but like what he said “I want to love. I want to enjoy life.”

Memory loss disease? Is this different than Alzheimer's? Or a milder form?
    Good question. I was always told it was too diff things.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tj~ [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I know with age, one has memory loss, that is normal. I don't consider 66 old.

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just saw a clip of DC on Inside Edition looking like he had something wrong other than dementia. He was slurring his words and falling down on stage while performing. Sad, whatever the case/cause.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Just saw a clip of DC on Inside Edition looking like he had something wrong other than dementia. He was slurring his words and falling down on stage while performing. Sad, whatever the case/cause.
    wernicke–korsakoff syndrome comes to mind. don't know if it relates to him, but he has had a problem with alcohol for years. and dementia had nothing to do with him slurring his words, imo. had a teetotaling grandma and a FIL with dementia.....no slurring of words

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tj~ [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Dementia is a set of symptoms. Alzheimer's is a disease that is the cause of 60 - 70% of dementia cases.

This is always a tough subject for me since my mom suffered with Alzheimer's. It is an evil disease that robs people and their families in a very cruel way. Prayers for him.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Very sad...I had his posters all over my wall as a teenager. I hope he hasn't turned back to alcohol knowing he has dementia.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Dementia is a set of symptoms. Alzheimer's is a disease that is the cause of 60 - 70% of dementia cases.

This is always a tough subject for me since my mom suffered with Alzheimer's. It is an evil disease that robs people and their families in a very cruel way. Prayers for him.
    Right there with you, Patriot. Lost my mom to Alzheimer's. Only good thing was she stayed happy until it took her totally down.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jani [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Right there with you, Patriot. Lost my mom to Alzheimer's. Only good thing was she stayed happy until it took her totally down.
    Hugs, Jani. There were times of happiness - and times where she would be terribly upset and sobbing. I lost her one year ago this month and still can't talk about it. It doesn't help that I put her in an Alzheimer's ward and felt/feel like shit about that - but she fell FIVE times, the fifth fall resulting in her death. I am still very angry and miserable over it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jani [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Hugs to both of you. If my questions were insensitive, I apologize.

Senior Member Asteroids Champion, Crazy Shuttle Champion, Barb Jump Champion, Arkanoid Champion MissWasabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliekan [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    wernicke–korsakoff syndrome comes to mind. don't know if it relates to him, but he has had a problem with alcohol for years. and dementia had nothing to do with him slurring his words, imo. had a teetotaling grandma and a FIL with dementia.....no slurring of words
    I'm thinking that dementia presents itself differently in different people under certain sets of circumstances.

My mother has it - and if she hasn't had enough sleep - she slurs her words very badly when she gets up in the morning. Recently one instance was so bad that she was taken to emergency and the docs initially thought she had a stroke. We have to give her meds to knock her out to sleep - however the first ones they gave her I asked them to stop because they were psych meds that are not recommended for elderly with dementia. Watch the meds doctors dole out! Switched to another one that currently is not working well with a 2 pill dose. Back to the drawing board. I guess.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperdog [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Not a all Copperdog.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolutely not! Hugs!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissWasabi [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I'm thinking that dementia presents itself differently in different people under certain sets of circumstances.

My mother has it - and if she hasn't had enough sleep - she slurs her words very badly when she gets up in the morning. Recently one instance was so bad that she was taken to emergency and the docs initially thought she had a stroke. We have to give her meds to knock her out to sleep - however the first ones they gave her I asked them to stop because they were psych meds that are not recommended for elderly with dementia. Watch the meds doctors dole out! Switched to another one that currently is not working well with a 2 pill dose. Back to the drawing board. I guess.
    I'm sorry.

My mom's doctor prescribed the new Alzheimer drug and explained that it is not a cure, it just slows the progression. It did absolutely nothing for my mom. She went downhill very fast. I really hate that disease.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I'm sorry.

My mom's doctor prescribed the new Alzheimer drug and explained that it is not a cure, it just slows the progression. It did absolutely nothing for my mom. She went downhill very fast. I really hate that disease.
    did nothing for my mom either....

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was just going to post the same, I've always wondered what, if any, is the difference too.
    I guess I should hit google.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know with age, one has memory loss, that is normal. I don't consider 66 old.
    That's my age physically. Really I'm still 30.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this might sound cold, but I'm not sure I'm buying this.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregongal [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    That's my age physically. Really I'm still 30.
    LOL, I'm 30 in my mind.

Then my oldest daughter turned 40.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    this might sound cold, but I'm not sure I'm buying this.
    What do you think is the real story?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What do you think is the real story?
    I think it's alcohol related.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I think it's alcohol related.
    Oh, okay. Thanks. I didn't know alcohol could cause dementia.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, okay. Thanks. I didn't know alcohol could cause dementia.
    me either. I think he was shitfaced the other night. If he has dementia, I would expect other symptoms.

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    me either. I think he was shitfaced the other night. If he has dementia, I would expect other symptoms.
    Exactly what I'm thinking, pk.

Senior Member Asteroids Champion, Crazy Shuttle Champion, Barb Jump Champion, Arkanoid Champion MissWasabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Saw a blurb for one of Dr Phil's upcoming shows.
    I think it's Wednsday, he's having an 'exclusive interview' with David Cassidy.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregongal [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Saw a blurb for one of Dr Phil's upcoming shows.
    I think it's Wednsday, he's having an 'exclusive interview' with David Cassidy.

GAH

10 characters posted because I have to....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliekan [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    GAH

10 characters posted because I have to....
    I just put dots after the short replies.....

Maybe A mod can change that requirement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast