Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

French Presidential Candidate cancels meeting with Arab leader, refusing to cover up

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was looking to see if anybody had started a topic on LePen who is running for President of France.

I have a hard enough time following US politics but they had quite a segment on LePen on 20/20 the other night and I found her interesting.

She is really going after Muslims and their customs in France. She said France is France and it will not cater to Muslims and their traditions. Quite interesting to watch.

Can Marine Le Pen win the French election?

March 4, 2017, 1:16 PM| French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen has been rising in the polls despite her hard-right stances. Le Pen has often been compared to President Trump, specifically with her platform on immigration. Anne-Sylvaine Chassany, Paris bureau chief for The Financial Times, joins CBSN with more.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 60 minutes episode on LePen

French presidential election, 2017 will start on Sunday
    , April 23

and will end on Sunday
    , May 7

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting all that is happening in France. Be sure to read the comments below the article. I find what is happening in France so very interesting. France is losing France.

Le Pen blasts ‘STUPEFYING VIOLENCE’ after pupils SET SCHOOL ON FIRE and run riot in Paris

MARINE Le Pen has attacked the French government for losing control of the country after dozens of teenagers rampaged through north Paris suburbs in an unprecedented wave of riots.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Analysis

‘It will be a total disaster’ if Marine Le Pen wins the French election, says France’s U.S. envoy

By [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] March 9 at 1:00 AM
    Want smart analysis of the most important news in your inbox every weekday along with other global reads, interesting ideas and opinions to know? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Gérard Araud, France's highly regarded ambassador to the United States, didn't mince words when I asked him what would happen if Marine Le Pen won the country's upcoming presidential election.
    "In diplomatic terms, I would say it will be a total disaster," said Araud. He explained that should Le Pen make good on her vows to remove France from the European Union and the eurozone, these departures would trigger a "political earthquake" in the West.
    Today's WorldView
    What's most important from where the world meets Washington

"It means the collapse of the E.U., because the E.U. without France doesn’t make any sense," he said. "And it means the collapse of the euro and a financial crisis, which will have consequences throughout the world."
    Araud spoke with Today's WorldView on Wednesday at the French embassy, a vast and secluded compound on the leafy fringes of Georgetown. Just a day earlier, another French ambassador had seemingly broken diplomatic protocol to protest Le Pen. Thierry Dana, France's envoy in Japan, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] saying he would not serve in a government run by the far-right.
    "If the pieces of the French tragedy which are being put in place were to lead to her election, I would stand aside from any diplomatic role," [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Dana. Araud, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] on Twitter, tweeted praise of Dana's "excellent" article

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Her chances for victory continue to grow. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In short, precisely because of its turbulent political history, France has developed a series of barriers against radical change. A leading sociologist, Michel Crozier, described it in 1970 as a ‘société bloquée’ — a ‘stalemate society’.

Of course, much in France does change: but the price of political stability is that certain fundamental rights and privileges remain untouched. Advantageous retirement rights and pensions. Certain influential professions. Farmers, sheltered by the Common Agricultural Policy. People in permanent employment, protected by laws penalising redundancy and limiting hours of work.

The public sector — in French le service public, significantly in the singular — is the core of this system: schools, public hospitals, railways, universities, local government, the post office. All are arms of the state. Think of le service public as the NHS multiplied by five. The politics of its workforce, combining a real sense of public service with a jealous defence of rights and privileges, explains why France is the most anti-capitalist country in Europe.

There are benefits. Many British people have happy memories of French hospitals, schools or trains. But one does not need very right-wing views to see the accumulating disadvantages.

The highest taxes in the developed world, especially on businesses. Chronic unemployment, worst among the young and ethnic minorities. Slow growth, including among small companies afraid of the burden of regulation incurred by getting too big. Crumbling infrastructure.

Anyone who arrives at the Gare du Nord must see that something is amiss. People in France do too, and have done for years. Even in the 1980s President Mitterrand lamented national ‘moroseness’. Bookshops have long been piled high with works by economists, politicians and academics warning that France was in accelerating decline. Young people emigrate, over 200,000 to London alone

On top of this chronic malaise has come the tension between republican secularism and Islam, sparked off three decades ago by a row about girls wearing headscarves in a provincial secondary school. It is a fraught mixture of cultural difference, social deprivation and historic mistrust, but none can doubt its brooding presence, hugely inflamed by a series of terrorist attacks. Had I risked forgetting this, I would have been dramatically reminded a few weeks ago when in a quiet street in Paris I walked into a 25-man military patrol in full combat gear.