Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Asteroids Champion, Crazy Shuttle Champion, Barb Jump Champion, Arkanoid Champion MissWasabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw she just got a bunch of carrots!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I gotta feeling this is gonna be days yet.

Admin
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I saw at the drs. office today the crap about having to take the video down from youtube...bunch of crazy arseholes who report that stuff . So glad it was restored.

Now come on, baby!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just checked in....nada.

I was watching local news this morning and cracked hubby up. They were talking about this "new thing" about posting break up pics online. I'm all exasperated with so called news channels pulling stuff out of thin air to fill time and said..." why can't they talk about REAL news...like where the heck is Aprils baby????"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They opened her door, but she's staying in.

Now they're giving her some snacks to lure her out.

Probably to send in housekeeping to clean her stall....?
    Last edited by Snowshuze; 02-24-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    April is looking great! She was monitored throughout the evening and around 3:55 am EST and again at 4:15 am EST, physical posturing and other activity observed would suggest we are close. Park staff was alerted by Night Watch and were on stand by. Things did calm down, however there continues to be a large amount of visible movement within April's body.
    We encourage you to go to the Live stream and rewind to about 8:30ish am EST, when April begins to go outside. As she transitions outside, carefully watching her step, significant baby movement is evident on the right side. Enjoy those baby kicks!
    Her and Oliver will both enjoy yard time today, but are kept separate due to April's condition. His rambunctious play for an extended period could have negative effects. Boys will be boys.
    Veterinary observation will take place again today, as it does every day, to ensure all is well with mom and unborn calf.
    For basic info and hot topic answers, view our Giraffe Cam on our YouTube Page and read the info/description area. This will answer many questions and debunk some odd rumors we have recently heard.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    She's back in...and I gotta say I'm a little upset they didn't clean her stall.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    She seems to be keeping her head down a lot this morning.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    &

Tweet
    Conversation
    KATU News‏ @KATUNews
    April the giraffe just gave the camera a little kiss!

WATCH LIVE: (link: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) katu.com/live/event

8:14 AM · Feb 24, 2017
    2 RETWEETS
    3 LIKES
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was hoping the pic of April reaching her long neck up and kissing the cam would show up...lol she's telling us to hang in there.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dear AAP;

Define CLOSE.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh yea. THAT'S pushing.

Or a labor pain...or something.
    Last edited by Snowshuze; 02-24-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I feel so bad for her. She keeps looking out her stall to the outside. Probably wishing she could be out there too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    She's definitely keeping her head down alot more today.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Holy Moly baby is kickin HARD. I fully expect it to run a few laps around the stall as soon as it hits the ground.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Baby daddy in the stall for a visit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well. That was weird. He sniffs her behind a couple times, then they let him back in his own stall.

And now they clean her stall.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are animals like humans when it comes to giving birth. I start contractions and they kept me at the hospital for several hours saying my baby was too active to even be thinking about being born. That was on a Thursday night. He was born Saturday morning.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It looks like the baby bump is pushing forward, closer to the front legs.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Are animals like humans when it comes to giving birth. I start contractions and they kept me at the hospital for several hours saying my baby was too active to even be thinking about being born. That was on a Thursday night. He was born Saturday morning.
    Mine were both active right up until labor too. Both fairly fast...3 hours for 1st and 6 hours for 2nd. I really dont remember if they were active during labor though?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshuze [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    It looks like the baby bump is pushing forward, closer to the front legs.
    What link are you watching? Mine isn't live? Now it's on a recording of earlier?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshuze [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Well. That was weird. He sniffs her behind a couple times, then they let him back in his own stall.

I saw them do that with the last giraffe birth I watched.......

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought I was watching live, obviously not since I just saw this a few minutes ago. And it looked to me like water was coming out, don't know if she was peeing or her water broke.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tj~ [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    What link are you watching? Mine isn't live? Now it's on a recording of earlier?
    Found this link, I think it's live

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's so funny watching the male circling his stall like an expectant father pacing the floor

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simba [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    It's so funny watching the male circling his stall like an expectant father pacing the floor
    the last one I watched, the father and 2 kids would come over and stick their heads over the stall like

MOM! MOM!

like when I tried to do anything by myself at home with 2 kids

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All of your 'April the giraffe' questions answered

Feb 24/2017

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) - Over the last couple of days of 'giraffe watch' there's been a lot of questions being asked about April and her situation specifically. So we finally have some answers for you.

WUSA9 spoke with Jordan Patch with Animal Adventure Park who answered all of our questions regarding April and her birthing experience.

We already had the general giraffe facts such as their height weight and that they give birth standing up. We even have the birthing facts like giraffes are pregnant for about 15 months and that calves come out hooves first.

But what we didn't have information on is April herself. After all, she is the star of the moment.

Patch took time to answer a lot of your questions that you've posted on our Facebook lives over the last few days.

How old is April?
    We learned that April is 15 years old. In natural habitats, a giraffes' life span is about 15 years. However when in human care that can extend to 20-27 years old. Patch explained that April is in good and strong condition that not only is her life span expected to go well past the 15 years, depending on how she handles her fourth birth, she could possibly be fit enough to have more calves.

How long has April been with Animal Adventure Park?
    April has been with Animal Adventure Park since September 2015 and this is her first calf birth at the park. Once her calf is born and she is done nursing it, he or she will move on to another facility as it's rare to keep family members together with fear of incest.

Is April actually in labor?
    There's been a lot of speculation of how long April has been in labor and if she's actually contracting. Patch explained that it's not very likely that you will be able to tell April's labor until you see an actual hoof begin to poke out of her rear-end. Giraffe's instinctively hide their labor for however long it's lasting in order to not draw attention from predators who will wait out a giraffe's labor in order to attack once the calf is born.

One sign of active labor is when the giraffe's water breaks. It can be anywhere from a slow trickle of liquid to a flow of mucus.

Then why is the feed up if we're not sure when the calf is coming?
    Animal Adventure Park is currently in its off-season so the park is closed to visitors. People who've visited the park in pervious months knew of April's pregnancy and the park has been receiving inquiries about her giving birth. Animal Adventure felt this was a good way to keep those who wanted to follow along with April informed.

Is the calf a boy or girl?
    Animal Adventure says their ultrasound equipment cannot tell the sex of the calf.

When is April actually due?
    April's tentative due day was mid-February, give or take some days. She is very close but it could still be hours or days.

much more at link

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    April is a cougar...lol

snipped

Animal Adventure Park in Harpusville, New York, has been streaming a live camera inside the pen of April, a 15-year-old giraffe who is expecting her fourth calf.

According to the YouTube page where the camera is hosted, her mate, 5-year-old Oliver, is being kept in a pen next to her. This will be his first calf.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Journal: Day 10,999. April has fresh sawdust stuff. Door is open. STILL NO BABY.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2/25 Morning Update:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] continues
    Keepers have reported the continued shedding of the wax caps on April's teats, increased belly movement, and a bit reluctant to go into the giraffe yard.
    Looks to be another warmer day so they will have the option of yard usage if they desire.
    We did welcome twin Black Belly Barbado Lambs this morning about 7:45 am EST. Well, April, you're next!
    Please remain vigilant of fake youtube pages of our video content requesting donations. There are also fake gofundme accounts requesting your support and also baby names. We have reported the fraudulent pages, as should you.
    We will continue to keep you posted with any change in condition.

-----------------
    Last edited by Snowshuze; 02-26-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast