Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 308
  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Did you call the emergency vet again?
    No, when I called this morning they said to give him more.

    I hope my regular vet calls back soon. I wish I could get him to go out. If I could I'd try to get him the car.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    is he peeing?
    Not since last night.

    He didnt have a lot to drink last night but I'm sure he has to go, it's been 15 hours

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My vet just called. He said it could be the buprenex because it's morphine and can last for up to 24 hours. He said to hold off on giving him anything in case it's a side effect of that until this afternoon and then give him the Carprofen and Gabapentin tonight.

    He made me feel a little better because he said it he's not vomiting and there's no diarrhea, he's not overly concerned.

  4. #34
    Rest In Peace protectkidz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,343
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    was he in that much pain to even need morphine?

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    was he in that much pain to even need morphine?
    My vet referred to it bupremorphinex? Or bupremorphine? The sheet says bupremex.

    The emergency vet said he was going to give him something to relax him so he could do the exam on his back and legs

  6. #36
    Administrator Aubrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Leprechaun House In The Big Pines
    Posts
    6,463
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    My vet just called. He said it could be the buprenex because it's morphine and can last for up to 24 hours. He said to hold off on giving him anything in case it's a side effect of that until this afternoon and then give him the Carprofen and Gabapentin tonight.

    He made me feel a little better because he said it he's not vomiting and there's no diarrhea, he's not overly concerned.
    I just now read all your posts finally got to this one, so glad your regular vet phoned you. Ugh, didn't realize buprenex is like morphine, has he went potty yet?
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

  7. #37
    Senior Member Kahskye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Lurker, I'm so sorry I missed this. My daughter is home on spring break and we're hanging out like best friends. Protectkidz messaged me this am about your dog. Dh isn't home right now, but I will show him the pics. It almost looks to me he has an oral tumor which can be treatable. Is there a way to send this pic to your vet by text?

    One of our dogs has arthritis and she's on previcox. Dh has used rimadyl, but prefers previcox or deramaxx, tho deramaxx is pricey. I'll have to ask him about buprenex. That's usually for severe pain.

    Wish I could help more. Hang in there. I know how much these furbabies mean to us.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I just now read all your posts finally got to this one, so glad your regular vet phoned you. Ugh, didn't realize buprenex is like morphine, has he went potty yet?
    me either! Nope, not yet. I just tried to
    get him up and he wouldn't budge. At this point I'm hoping he pees on he floor. He also still won't eat or drink.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kahskye [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Hey Lurker, I'm so sorry I missed this. My daughter is home on spring break and we're hanging out like best friends. Protectkidz messaged me this am about your dog. Dh isn't home right now, but I will show him the pics. It almost looks to me he has an oral tumor which can be treatable. Is there a way to send this pic to your vet by text?

    One of our dogs has arthritis and she's on previcox. Dh has used rimadyl, but prefers previcox or deramaxx, tho deramaxx is pricey. I'll have to ask him about buprenex. That's usually for severe pain.

    Wish I could help more. Hang in there. I know how much these furbabies mean to us.
    Thanks Kah! With everything else going on with him this morning, I forgot yp
    even memtionghe bump on his tongue! Gah

    I was able to get him to drink a little
    this morning and I tried to look at it but couldn't see if it was still there.

    Im so worried!

    My vet did say if it's still residual from the bupremex, there's nothing he can give him to reverse it.

    I am am scared to death to give him anything this afternoon, even though my vet told me to ahead.

    now I'm wishing I never would've taken him and just left him on the aspirin.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Kahskye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can imagine how nervous and scared you must be. I would definitely stop giving him buprenex.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahskye [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I can imagine how nervous and scared you must be. I would definitely stop giving him buprenex.
    That was a shot they gave him at the emergency vet. They sent him home with carprofen and Gabapentin.

  11. #41
    Administrator Aubrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Leprechaun House In The Big Pines
    Posts
    6,463
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Aubrey

    I just now read all your posts finally got to this one, so glad your regular vet phoned you. Ugh, didn't realize buprenex is like morphine, has he went potty yet?
    me either! Nope, not yet. I just tried to get him up and he wouldn't budge. At this point I'm hoping he pees on he floor. He also still won't eat or drink.
    Understandable why you're so worried, the not peeing/drinking bothers me too.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

  12. #42
    Rest In Peace protectkidz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,343
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    can you try some broth? I know I've done that in a very similar situation with an older dog and it worked.

    low sodium, if you've got it.

  13. #43
    Senior Member Kahskye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    That was a shot they gave him at the emergency vet. They sent him home with carprofen and Gabapentin.
    That's an opiate, and sounds like he definitely had a severe reaction to it. Carprofen is the generic alternative to Rimadyl. Gabapentin is also used to treat seizures. Is he having any?

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    can you try some broth? I know I've done that in a very similar situation with an older dog and it worked.

    low sodium, if you've got it.
    i don't think so but I'm making spaghetti tonight so I'll boil some hamburger for him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kahskye [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    That's an opiate, and sounds like he definitely had a severe reaction to it. Carprofen is the generic alternative to Rimadyl. Gabapentin is also used to treat seizures. Is he having any?
    He's never had a seizure. The vet said it's used to help the carprofen work?

    Maybe i I should just give him the carprofen?

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good news! He just got up and walked to the door, went out, did both and then stuck his nose in the snow and threw it in the air. And then barked at some people, came back in and laid down.


    Hes he's much more alert now but still not himself.

  16. #46
    Rest In Peace protectkidz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,343
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Good news! He just got up and walked to the door, went out, did both and then stuck his nose in the snow and threw it in the air. And then barked at some people, came back in and laid down.


    Hes he's much more alert now but still not himself.
    he just needs to work that crap out of his system!

  17. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am so sorry about your fur baby's troubles. Maybe try some scrambled eggs (no salt), nice and soft?

  18. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    he just needs to work that crap out of his system!
    I'm praying it's just the sedative. But I am afraid to give him the Gabapentin now. Heck, I'm afraid to give him the carprofen.


    He just ate a little piece of lunch meat.

  19. #49
    Administrator Aubrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Leprechaun House In The Big Pines
    Posts
    6,463
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Good news! He just got up and walked to the door, went out, did both and then stuck his nose in the snow and threw it in the air. And then barked at some people, came back in and laid down.


    Hes he's much more alert now but still not himself.
    Yay! Good for Schatzi & you! So happy he's more alert, starting to feel better.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

  20. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I am so sorry about your fur baby's troubles. Maybe try some scrambled eggs (no salt), nice and soft?
    Thats a good idea too!

    I know he needs to take the carprofen with food so he'll have to eat or I won't give it to him. I might not anyway. I'm extremely paranoid about giving him anything now.

  21. #51
    Senior Member ~tj~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    9,795
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Good news! He just got up and walked to the door, went out, did both and then stuck his nose in the snow and threw it in the air. And then barked at some people, came back in and laid down.


    Hes he's much more alert now but still not himself.
    That's great news!!!!!!

  22. #52
    Admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5,559
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just catching up again now...I was holding my breath reading the latest!!

    Yay, he went outside...and peed and barked!!

    I would be very leery giving him anything (meds), at least for a while. Maybe later today or tomorrow? Just to be sure he is really back to himself...if he acts weird again after getting any of the meds you have at home, you'll be better able to pinpoint if it's causing him problems/negative side effects.

    ((Big hugs)). I know how scary this is! Hang in there!!!

  23. #53
    Rest In Peace protectkidz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,343
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Honest to God, I don't think I would give him anything right now and let this work it's way out of his system.

    I didn't want to mention earlier, but reactions to some of what he's had include kidney failure from what I read...

  24. #54
    Senior Member Copperdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    875
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lurker, how is Schatzi this afternoon?

  25. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Just catching up again now...I was holding my breath reading the latest!!

    Yay, he went outside...and peed and barked!!

    I would be very leery giving him anything (meds), at least for a while. Maybe later today or tomorrow? Just to be sure he is really back to himself...if he acts weird again after getting any of the meds you have at home, you'll be better able to pinpoint if it's causing him problems/negative side effects.

    ((Big hugs)). I know how scary this is! Hang in there!!!
    Im terrified to give him anything. He's much better than he was this morning but a far cry from himself. I've just been laying on the floor next to him. My husband said I'm more worried about the dog than I am about him and his back problems. I said "yeah, YOU can talk and tell someone what's bothering you!" He's been really worried about him too but is trying not to make me panic any worse than I already have.

    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Honest to God, I don't think I would give him anything right now and let this work it's way out of his system.

    I didn't want to mention earlier, but reactions to some of what he's had include kidney failure from what I read...
    Thats with the rimadyl (carprofen)right? The horror stories on goggle are terrifying! My first Rottie took rimadyl as part of his post amputation routine and handled it fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Copperdog [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Lurker, how is Schatzi this afternoon?
    Hes much more alert and is barking and whining at the kids out playing. I usually let him out when they're all sledding, I think he wants to go but knows me can't. It's sad.

  26. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As thanks to you all for being there and talking me of the ledge. I still don't know if I'm going to try a dose of carprofen or not but I'm definitely gonna stay away from the painkiller. Carprofen is an anti inflammatory and nsaid itself isn't it?

  27. #57
    Senior Member Copperdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    875
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is good news, sounds like all the meds are finally wearing off.

    Can he go out later?

  28. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperdog [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    That is good news, sounds like all the meds are finally wearing off.

    Can he go out later?
    He loves the snow. He loves to go out when all the kids are out and catch the snowballs they throw at him. Lol

    Hes still having a hard time walking and getting around so I think he's gonna miss the snowballs this time around. I'll throw a couple to him when I take him out again later though.

  29. #59
    Admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5,559
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    As thanks to you all for being there and talking me of the ledge. I still don't know if I'm going to try a dose of carprofen or not but I'm definitely gonna stay away from the painkiller. Carprofen is an anti inflammatory and nsaid itself isn't it?
    Yes, the carprofen is an NSAID. I would really hold off on giving him anything. When he's back to his usual self completely, I'd talk to the vet again and voice all your concerns before agreeing to give him any more meds. And make the vet really listen to you, you know your dog better than anyone. ((hugs))!

    ETA: did you give Schatzi buffered aspirin before you got him to the vet? If so, how did he react and did it help?

  30. #60
    Admin dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5,598
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Poor baby,I hope he is back to his old self soon.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •