Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Found Deceased: Tom Johnston, 46 yo male, Old Orchard Beach, ME

Police looking for missing WCSH meteorologist Tom Johnston

April 6, 2017

Old Orchard Beach police are trying to locate local meteorologist Tom Johnston, who was reported missing Monday.

Johnston, a meteorologist with WCSH-TV in Portland, was reported missing after he failed to return from an event at Sunday River Ski Resort on Saturday, said Detective Sgt. David Hemingway of the Old Orchard Beach Police Department.

Johnston was expected to return to his home in Old Orchard Beach late Saturday or early Sunday. Hemingway said Johnston’s significant other, whom he would not identify, filed a missing person report Monday because it was out of the ordinary for Johnston to not come home.

The station said Johnston, 46, emceed the Springfest event Saturday and also sent back video of that day’s snowstorm for the station’s 6 p.m. newscast.

Hemingway said Johnston is considered a missing person, but there has been no indication that he is in danger.

A flyer issued by Old Orchard Beach police says Johnston last had contact with his family at 10:20 p.m. Saturday. He was driving a dark gray metallic 2017 Subaru Forester with Maine license plate 3106VT. The flyer asks anyone who has knowledge of Johnston’s whereabouts to contact the department at 934-4911.

“We’re trying to retrace his steps to see where he’s been, who he has had contact with and see if there’s a reason he hasn’t shown back up,” Hemingway said.

In its 5 p.m. broadcast Thursday, WCSH-TV news anchor Rob Caldwell said the station had not heard from Johnston.

Johnston hasn’t posted on his professional Twitter or Facebook accounts since April 1.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by mykittysmama; 04-07-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Admin
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, car accident?

I hope he's found soon and safe!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    WCSH Meteorologist Tom Johnston missing, OOB police ask for help

April 6, 2017

OLD ORCHARD BEACH — Old Orchard Beach police are asking for the public's help to find a missing man.

Local Meteorologist Tom Johnston, who works at WCSH 6, was reported missing Monday.

According to a flier from the Old Orchard Police Department, Johnston left OOB early Saturday morning to attend an event at Sunday River.

snipped

The flier says the last time he had contact with his family was Saturday night. According to a spokesperson at Sunday River, Johnston checked out of a hotel there at 1:30 p.m. Sunday.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    Hmmm, car accident?

I hope he's found soon and safe!
    I was thinking that, they mentioned a snow storm in one of the articles. Prayers that Tom is found safe and soon!

Admin
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama View Post
    I was thinking that, they mentioned a snow storm in one of the articles. Prayers that Tom is found safe and soon!
    Yes, I saw that re: the snow, too, I think he even reported on it. Very concerning .

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A couple of people tweeted on possible routes home.

It's possible that his intended route home took him through the lakes region.
    His last route was from Sunday River ME to Old Orchard Beach. That can be accomplished easily via Rt 16 S through Ossipee & over to Maine.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    does not sound good to me
    my posts are my opinion only

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tom Johnston, we will miss you

April 7, 2017

PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- It is with great sadness we share with you this morning the news that Meteorologist Tom Johnston’s body was found in Auburn Thursday night. He died of an apparent suicide, police said.

Tom, 46, was part of the NEWS CENTER family for the past three years. You saw him most frequently on our 5:30 p.m., 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts each weekday. He was reported missing early Monday morning when he didn’t return home to Old Orchard Beach after a weekend at Sunday River Ski Resort. Tom went there early Saturday to emcee the Springfest event. Later that night he was out with friends and family and told a family member he was heading back home Sunday. When he didn’t show up by Monday morning, his girlfriend filed a missing persons report.

In a brief statement late Thursday night, Deputy Police Chief Jason Moen said, “Any suspicion of foul play has been ruled out and the investigation is focused on an apparent suicide.” More information may be released once the medical examiner completes an autopsy Friday.

Tom loved to forecast and loved his job. He was at his best broadcasting or doing Facebook live shots in the middle of a blizzard.

He loved getting battered about just to bring viewers the best and most accurate look at current, heinous weather conditions.

Inside the newsroom, Tom had a reputation as a hard worker who was “wicked funny” and loved to joke around both on and off camera.

Tom, or @TJThunder, a nickname he used as his Twitter handle, also had a love for Maine. He said often he felt lucky to live here.

So sad, RIP Tom.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama View Post
    Tom Johnston, we will miss you

April 7, 2017

PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- It is with great sadness we share with you this morning the news that Meteorologist Tom Johnston’s body was found in Auburn Thursday night. He died of an apparent suicide, police said.

Tom, 46, was part of the NEWS CENTER family for the past three years. You saw him most frequently on our 5:30 p.m., 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts each weekday. He was reported missing early Monday morning when he didn’t return home to Old Orchard Beach after a weekend at Sunday River Ski Resort. Tom went there early Saturday to emcee the Springfest event. Later that night he was out with friends and family and told a family member he was heading back home Sunday. When he didn’t show up by Monday morning, his girlfriend filed a missing persons report.

In a brief statement late Thursday night, Deputy Police Chief Jason Moen said, “Any suspicion of foul play has been ruled out and the investigation is focused on an apparent suicide.” More information may be released once the medical examiner completes an autopsy Friday.

Tom loved to forecast and loved his job. He was at his best broadcasting or doing Facebook live shots in the middle of a blizzard.

He loved getting battered about just to bring viewers the best and most accurate look at current, heinous weather conditions.

Inside the newsroom, Tom had a reputation as a hard worker who was “wicked funny” and loved to joke around both on and off camera.

Tom, or @TJThunder, a nickname he used as his Twitter handle, also had a love for Maine. He said often he felt lucky to live here.

So sad, RIP Tom.
    Wow he looked like such a happy guy.

Admin
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very sad ending...RIP.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so very sad. at least he was found and found quickly for the familys sake.
    my posts are my opinion only