Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Container Gardening

So, we're at my mom's house in Ohio and I wanted to grow tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, lettuce, and some herbs. I cannot bend to weed or till...so I decided to container garden. I planted about 7 different types of heirloom tomatoes, some bush cucumbers, sweet basil, a sugar bush, orange blaze peppers, chives, 2 types of lettuce and some red onions. I could live on fresh produce all summer long!

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is nothing like home grown produce,beats the store bought ones hands down.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    There is nothing like home grown produce,beats the store bought ones hands down.
    I couldn't agree more, mate! I haven't done much container gardening in the past but seemed like a good idea this year. I planted my lettuce plants directly in the garden soil bag because they have a shallow root system and they are really coming along nicely.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What a great idea to use the bag as a container.
    I know when I do buy a lettuce I usually end up throwing most of it away,I like just be able to pick a few leaves when you grow your own.

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the gardening, Peeps! You'll have a nice selection of produce .

My son and his wife are doing a raised bed garden and they made a couple mesh-topped tables to hold bags of potting soil to direct plant into them as well.

I plant different kinds of leaf lettuce once a month through the fall in long rectangular planters...easy as they don't have deep roots like some garden plants and this way I don't have huge amounts ready to pick/eat all at the same time. Tom Thumb (miniature) romaine grows well, too.

Speaking of gardens, it is currently 27 degrees outside, yikes! Hubby and I covered potatoes and radishes that were up in the big garden and I hauled all of my flowers into the porch and turned on the heat. It's a PITA to do, but that's life here in the North Woods - May can be as unpredictable as March or April, gah!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Good luck with the gardening, Peeps! You'll have a nice selection of produce .

My son and his wife are doing a raised bed garden and they made a couple mesh-topped tables to hold bags of potting soil to direct plant into them as well.

I plant different kinds of leaf lettuce once a month through the fall in long rectangular planters...easy as they don't have deep roots like some garden plants and this way I don't have huge amounts ready to pick/eat all at the same time. Tom Thumb (miniature) romaine grows well, too.

Speaking of gardens, it is currently 27 degrees outside, yikes! Hubby and I covered potatoes and radishes that were up in the big garden and I hauled all of my flowers into the porch and turned on the heat. It's a PITA to do, but that's life here in the North Woods - May can be as unpredictable as March or April, gah!
    Thanks, mj! Blaize and I had to do the same with all of our plants and flowers. We brought in what we could and covered the rest with tarps. Ohio is very unpredictable until July, it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeps [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    So, we're at my mom's house in Ohio and I wanted to grow tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, lettuce, and some herbs. I cannot bend to weed or till...so I decided to container garden. I planted about 7 different types of heirloom tomatoes, some bush cucumbers, sweet basil, a sugar bush, orange blaze peppers, chives, 2 types of lettuce and some red onions. I could live on fresh produce all summer long!
    i'm doing containers this year as well. our backyard has become quite shady so i can put the containers where they will receive the most sun. i planted the cucumbers with one of those round tomato cages so it will train upright. i have lots of baby cucumbers growing already so i hope they don't become to heavy on the vine. trial and error will be my friend on that plant.

for my cherry tomatoes i am using one of those spiral spikes where you wind the tomato branches around the spiral. it's working so far.

i did have to transplant one of my peppers already as i under estimated how much room it would need and had it planted with another pepper and a jalapeno. nope, it was getting too crowded in that pot.

yesterday i went and bought some simple loop spikes to hold up some canes of my mini rasberry bush. it was getting heavy with unripened fruit and looking a little top heavy.

california has had quite a terrible drought but we had winter rains this year and my pomegranate tree is crazy with blooms so in the fall we should have quite a crop to share with the neighbors.

fresh produce is awesome and you will love having your planter garden! i plan on hitting the farmers markets quite regularly this summer as well.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I only have two containers.... one pot of Rosemary and a lemon tree. But I wanted to share my baby lemons!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glow [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I only have two containers.... one pot of Rosemary and a lemon tree. But I wanted to share my baby lemons!

i have a lemon tree as well, your baby lemons look nice and healthy!

this year i added a tangelo tree. it's in a pot for now.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Laura,

They are about the size of a thumb. Like any baby of any kind...they are cute! LOL

The tree smells so nice too!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwwww love it, glow! I would love a lemon tree but never can get them to grow or bloom.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fairy Garden

Lettuce

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeps [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Fairy Garden

Lettuce
    The Fairy Garden is the cutest! Did you do that Peeps?
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The Fairy Garden is the cutest! Did you do that Peeps?
    Thanks, mkm! Yes, my mom wanted one this year so that is my effort lol. My favorite thing in it is the tandem bicycle because my parents used to have one that they rode all over town.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks, mkm! Yes, my mom wanted one this year so that is my effort lol. My favorite thing in it is the tandem bicycle because my parents used to have one that they rode all over town.
    I can't stop looking at it, it reminds me of my grandparents garden in England growing up. Fond memories. I love that your parents rode a tandem bicycle!
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    todays harvest all from my backyard stock tank containers
    “My mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.'”-Forrest