Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    Fingers crossed there's a baby in there !
    I hope so! I think this will be her last pregnancy or pseudopregnancy as Mei is 19 years old now and will be too old to have another pregnancy.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    #pandastory BeiBei hanging Free in his Tree-Looking down says "Hey Ebry1 Don u wish u were Me right now" ����❤️@houseofcubs @pinkypanda0823

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Giant Panda Mei Xiang Is Not Pregnant

Sept 14, 2017

The giant panda team at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute has determined that Mei Xiang (may-SHONG) will not give birth this year.

The panda team has been monitoring Mei Xiang’s behavior and hormones very closely during the past weeks. The only way to definitively determine if a giant panda is pregnant before she gives birth is to detect a fetus on an ultrasound. Her hormones and behavior will mimic a pregnancy even if she is not pregnant. Scientists confirmed that a secondary rise in Mei Xiang’s urinary progesterone levels began July 28. This signaled that she would either have a cub or experience the end of a pseudopregnancy within 30 to 50 days. Her hormones returned to baseline levels Sept. 14, but she did not give birth, indicating she was either experiencing a pseudopregnancy or did conceive but resorbed the embryo.

A team of reproductive scientists from the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and Zoo veterinarians artificially inseminated Mei Xiang twice May 25, using sperm collected from Tian Tian (tee-YEN tee-YEN). Li Rengui from the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda was at the Zoo for the procedures.

The panda house at the David M. Rubenstein Family Giant Panda Habitat closed Sept. 1 to provide Mei Xiang with quiet, since she shows extra sensitivity to noise during the final weeks of a pseudopregnancy or pregnancy. With the help of specially trained volunteers from Friends of the National Zoo, the panda team began a 24-hour-a-day behavior watch on Mei Xiang Sept. 5.

Mei Xiang is becoming more alert, and her behavior is returning to normal. The panda house will reopen and return to normal operating hours, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sept. 16.

At 19 years old, Mei Xiang is near the end of her reproductive life cycle, but there are pandas who have had cubs when they were older than she is now. Mei Xiang has given birth to three surviving cubs: Tai Shan (tie-SHON), Bao Bao (BOW-BOW) and Bei Bei (BAY-BAY). Tai Shan was born July 9, 2005, and he now lives in China. Bao Bao was born Aug. 23, 2013, and moved to the Dujiangyan Panda Base in February 2017. Bei Bei, born Aug. 22, 2015, will move to China by the time he turns 4 years old.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Admin
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Aww, maybe there'll be another opportunity .

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @houseofcubs got lots of biscuits before his treat ball rolled into the water.

Poor Bei Bei!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Taishan's wife WenYu isn't pregnant, and is now moved from the expectant area to the public -updates from WenYu's nanny.

ETA No new baby pandas this year, I really thought Tai Shan was going to be a daddy.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The worlds only brown Panda Qi Zai is a daddy!

Pics of Qi Zai

Mommy is Zhu Zhu

I wonder if the baby girl will be brown too?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bei Bei's JOE COOL look.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mama Mei acting like a toddler Panda, so cute!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Our guy Daddy Tian Tian @tiantianpanda97 enjoying some summer-like DC weather at @FONZNationalZoo.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mei's got the moves with those treat containers! @MommyMei98

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bei Bei is just a little goofball!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Somebody #BestBear @houseofcubs had the most delicious fruitie and dropped some on his fuzzy bewwy. #LoveHim

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    they are so funny!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Big Brother Taishan!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz View Post
    they are so funny!
    When I am having a stressful day there is nothing better than looking at the Panda family! Yes, especially Bei Bei, he is such a comedian!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Daddy Tian and his duck friend.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bao Bao in China, she looks so cute and happy!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bei Bei's first visit to the moonball today-success.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bei's 2nd visit required rear paw assist. Lots of biscuits fell out!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tian, you look so tall talking with the keeper! What were you asking for?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @MommyMei98 had corn stalks to munch on.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    #pandastory BeiBei says getting down from Table normally is so Passe! LOL he is one of a kind! ����❤️@houseofcubs @pinkypanda0823

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bei: Aren’t I just so adorable?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One of the ladies I follow on twitter lives locally to the zoo. She takes a lot of the pics I post of the Panda Family. She has made a calendar for 2018 of just Bei Bei pics so I ordered one! I need my Bei Bei fix 12 months of the year...lol

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bei: Look! I don’t have to get up. If I roll over I can pull the corn to me. Lazy Saturday?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bei: If I do a sit-up I can eat more, right? Here we go!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920