Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thornton police find child’s body after search for missing 10-year-old Kiaya Campbell

June 8, 2017

Thornton police searching for a 10-year-old girl who disappeared during a heavy rainstorm Wednesday night said Thursday evening that they have found the body of a child.

Officers cordoned off an area in a green space near Jasmine Court and Monaco Way. The discovery came hours after Kiaya Campbell went missing while walking with a teenage boy.

Thornton Police spokesman Matt Barnes said authorities are waiting for a positive identification of the body. Members of the community who had gathered at Skyview Elementary School stood in a circle with their heads bowed after the police announcement. Some people hugged each other and cried.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dana Coffield‏Verified account @denpostdana 4m4 minutes ago

Police say child's body was found by a homeowner, about 2 miles from where #KiayaCampbell was last seen Wednesday
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Guessing this is going to be a homicide investigation. IMO, she wasn't swept away from the rain.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
    Guessing this is going to be a homicide investigation. IMO, she wasn't swept away from the rain.
    No, sadly.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    SNIP

During a press conference, police said that a Thornton resident called them around 5:30 p.m. and said that he had found a child's body in the area of 128th and Jasmine Court, about two miles from where Kiaya Campbell, 10, was last seen.

Police are currently working a crime scene in that area.

They did not release an official cause of death or any suspects in the child's death. No one is in custody at this time. The case is currently be handled as a homicide.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How sad......

Admin
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Actively working the crime scene :

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Searching media to see if any arrests have been made yet, nothing so far.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Officials search for answers after child's body found in Colorado

06/09/2017 6:08 am PDT

THORNTON, Colo. -- (KDVR) --An active death investigation is underway after a 10-year-old child's body was found in Thornton on Thursday afternoon.

Police are not ruling out homicide after the body was found. While positive identification is pending, officials believe the body that was found is that of Kiaya Campbell.

She went missing Wednesday night. Her father told the Thornton Police Department that she and his girlfriend's 15-year-old son left home in the 12400 block of Forest Drive about 8 p.m. to walk to a nearby shopping center.

SNIP

A child's body was found about 5:30 p.m. near East 128th Avenue and Jamsine Street, about one mile from the home.

"We were hoping to go find her. Didn't quite turn out that way," said Danielle Mahin, who lives nearby.

"My hearts breaking for their family," said Laura Palmer, who helped in the search. "She’s only 10 years old. Nobody expects to lose a child. I was really hoping that she’d still be alive.”

Police said they are not ruling anything out and that it's an active investigation.

"We want to have a successful conclusion and a successful prosecution if we do find the person responsible," police spokesman Matt Barnes said.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I THINK this is her dad:

CONFIRMED it's her father.

I'm 92% sure this is the GF:

Kate Zellmer Thanks Eric! Appreciate the kind words. The boys are good. Getting big! They just turned 15! How are your boys? You still living in the same place?
    Like · Reply · February 16 at 12:11am
    Last edited by protectkidz; 06-09-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sounds like she has twin 15 year old boys.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    BODY FOUND IN SEARCH FOR MISSING GIRL

Girl disappeared during heavy rainstorm Wednesday

9 Jun 2017

Thornton police searching for a 10-year-old girl who disappeared during a heavy rainstorm Wednesday night said Thursday evening that they have found the body of a child.

Officers cordoned off an area in a green space near Jasmine Court and Monaco Way.

The discovery came hours after Kiaya Campbell went missing while walking with a teenage boy.

Authorities believe they’ve found the girl’s body but are awaiting positive identification, which will be made by the Adams County coroner’s office, said Matt Barnes, a police spokesman.

After the discovery, police were working to determine how the girl’s body came to be in the area and what caused her death.

"We’re not ruling anything out," Barnes said of the investigation. Police didn’t have anyone in custody Thursday night. Investigators, however, eventually may "find the person responsible," he said.

SNIP

A couple — a man and a woman — filled out police reports on the hood of a patrol car parked in front of a home. Afterward, the distraught couple sat on front steps of the home, hugging and consoling each other.

Police and FBI agents were going door to door Thursday evening on the block, looking to speak with residents and possible witnesses.

This tells me LE doesn't think her death was an accident.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this is Kiaya's mother:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mother and GF look alike to me. This is very sad. And I agree there is a reason LE are treating it as a crime. Thanks for the updates and PK thanks for the FB info.
    my posts are my opinion only

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So I'm curious. When the 15 year old realized that Kiaya wasn't walking behind him anymore did he go home and tell her father or did start searching for her?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm kind of curious why a ten year old girl, unfamiliar with the area, would be out walking with a fifteen year old boy in a rain storm at eight oclock at night?

No adults to drive them where ever they wanted/needed to go?

It's all hinky but I think the police will be telling what happened very soon.

Open and shut on this one!
    Last edited by justme222; 06-09-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 View Post
    I'm kind of curious why a ten year old girl, unfamiliar with the area, would be out walking with a fifteen year old boy in a rain storm?

No adults to drive them where ever they wanted/needed to go?

It's all hinky but I think the police will be telling what happened very soon.

Open and shut on this one!
    I believe it didn't start raining until after they started walking. I'm hoping there will be an arrest soon!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I believe it didn't start raining until after they started walking. I'm hoping there will be an arrest soon!
    Yes probably. I was reading the missing poster and saw she disappeared during a rain storm at 8pm. Hinky.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Coroner IDs body as missing girl, says death was 'non-accidental'

June 9, 2017

THORNTON - The Adams County Coroner’s Office has identified the body found by a Thornton resident Thursday evening as 10-year-old Kiaya Campbell.

In a news release Friday afternoon, the coroner also confirmed the cause of death was “not accidental." No additional details about how the girl died were released.

Thornton Police said Thursday that the case is being handled as a homicide. No suspects are currently in custody.

more at link

ttp://onceuponacrime.net/yourls/3vf

RIP Kiaya, gone too soon.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    DEATH OF GIRL, 10, BEING INVESTIGATED AS A HOMICIDE

June 10. 2017

The cause of death of 10-year-old Kiaya Campbell was "other than accidental" and the case is being investigated as a homicide, officials said Friday. The Adams County coroner positively identified the child’s body found Thursday as that of Kiaya.

SNIP

"That is the one thing we can put out right now," Thornton Police Department spokesman Victor Avila said.

The Adams County Coroner identified the child’s body, found Thursday, as that of Kiaya. Police and Colorado Bureau of Investigation authorities are investigating the girl’s death.

Kiaya was reported missing Wednesday night. Her body was discovered the next afternoon in a green-belt area about 1˝ miles from where the girl disappeared during a rainstorm.

The girl’s disappearance triggered a huge search involving hundreds of community volunteers and authorities from 23 different rescue and law enforcement agencies, Avila said.

The searchers included Ronnie Baca, 34, who said he found the body in an area with tall grass, a creek and cattails.

"It hasn’t affected me anywhere near what it has the family," Baca said. "Just like everybody else, I could not imagine what the family is going through."

Police were called at 11:52 p.m. Wednesday to a home in the 12400 block of Forest Drive on a report of a missing child. Police posted a notice about the missing girl on Twitter at 6:55 a.m. Thursday. An Amber Alert was issued at 1:30 p.m. Thursday. The search was called off by late afternoon.

"We do have a history of events at the house," Avila said, but he would not provide details about the calls.

Kiaya was last seen with her 15-year-old stepbrother. The boy told police that when it began raining hard, he ran and they were separated.

Homicide investigators have been involved in the investigation from the beginning, Avila said. No one is being held in the investigation, he said. Police also have not identified anyone as a suspect or person of interest.

"We’re at the beginning of a very, very large investigation," Avila said. "We’re following every issue including the weather."

Police and rescue workers searched culverts Thursday in case a flash flood had swept the girl away. But several neighbors said the rain was not heavy and there was no flooding.

According to article Kiaya's father moved into the home a few months ago and Kiaya visited occasionally.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Liz Gelardi‏Verified account @LizGelardi

This is the location where 10-yr-old Kiaya Campbell's body was found. Right in the middle of a Thornton neighborhood by a walking path.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another pic of the area where Kiaya was found.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kitty for photos!

Here's a video that shows walkway where Kiaya was found & and gives us a look father's home.

11:21 PM, Jun 9, 2017 -Article/Video

SNIP

Police said they have also collected a "large amount of evidence" during the investigation amounting to approximately more than 100 pieces of evidence, according to Denver7 reporter Liz Gelardi. That evidence will now be sorted and analyzed by investigators.

Last edited by Aubrey; 06-10-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised no one saw or heard anything, it wasn't late at night and was still light out imo.

From what we can gather the storm started much later.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maybe Kiaya was threatened to keep quiet, poor child, she was probably scared

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GFM:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere the the neighborhood couple that found her called police and then sat on their steps and cried.

Aubrey I can't watch the video. It's not available at the link.
    Last edited by Aubrey; 06-10-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I read this from Post #9

Thornton police ask public for help searching for 10-year-old girl who went missing during rainstorm

UPDATED: June 8, 2017 at 3:25 pm- video included

Thornton police are going door to door, searching open spaces, back yards, sheds and drainage ditches as they look for a 10-year-old girl who disappeared during a heavy rainstorm Wednesday night while walking with a teen-age friend.

Read More at : onceuponacrime.net - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by justme222; 06-10-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gosh I keep checking in hoping an arrest has been made. I was thinking heavy rain would wash away some evidence.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maybe Kiaya was threatened to keep quiet, poor child, she was probably scared
    Or she was already dead and placed there before the police were called.
    Do we know if there is any one that seen them going to the shops?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast