Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yingying Zhang, 26 - UofIL Student - Urbana IL *Suspect Brendt Christensen Arrested*

This has been on all the Chicago News reports so I thought we could follow it.

The FBI is investigating the disappearance of a visiting Chinese scholar at the University of Illinois who was last seen getting into a black car on campus two weeks ago, prompting an emotional appeal from her father.

Yingying Zhang, 26, was last seen on a security video camera getting into a black Saturn Astra in Urbana, Ill., on June 9.

Jon Holloway, assistant special agent in charge of criminal investigation at the Springfield FBI office, discussed the FBI's efforts in the case at a campus meeting Thursday night, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

The FBI, which has labeled the case as a kidnapping but has not ruled out other scenarios, said a $10,000 reward has been offered seeking information in the case. In addition, the Champaign county Crimestoppers organization has offered a separate $40,000 reward the case.

The FBI said Zhang, wearing a charcoal-colored baseball hat, pink-and-white top, and white tennis shoes, was carrying a black backpack when she got into the automobile.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

CHAMPAIGN, Illinois-- The FBI's search for a kidnapped University of Illinois student continues in both Illinois and Iowa. And now, her parents are in Champaign, speaking out, with an emotional plea to their daughter's kidnapper.

This is the first time student Yingying Zhang's family is talking about their daughter's disappearance on camera. They came to Champaign from China as soon as they found out she was missing.
    Zhang's mom was understandably too emotional to speak on camera, so Zhang's aunt shared their joint message to her kidnapper.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

3 hrs ·

HAVE YOU SEEN HER? The FBI says the search for a visiting Chinese scholar missing from the University of Illinois is a national priority for the agency. A $40,000 reward has been offered for any information that leads to Yingying Zhang. *PLEASE SHARE TO HELP FIND HER*

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been looking for a FB group that might be discussing the disappearance but so far nothing.

What interests me is how quickly the FBI is acting and posting a big reward. I wonder if it's because she is from China an international student?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    U of I Police‏Verified account @UIPD

The Zhang family shared with us these photos of Yingying. Please help us find her. More info: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] #findingyingying

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Missing UI scholar enters car
    Mon, 06/12/2017 - 11:24am | Jim Rossow

In this surveillance video provided by UI police, Yingying Zhang is seen entering a black Saturn Astra (unknown year) — about the 40-second mark — on the east side of Goodwin Avenue in Urbana. The final shot of the video, starting at about the 1:02 mark, is a reference for the vehicle and shows it traveling north on Wright Street in front of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Building.

video at link

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks. want to bet the car make is being checked in the Chicago area? I know people in that area if you post it on our FB site I could make it public. I do it all the time. I think she is probably a foreign exchange student also.
    my posts are my opinion only

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraSidle [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    thanks. want to bet the car make is being checked in the Chicago area? I know people in that area if you post it on our FB site I could make it public. I do it all the time. I think she is probably a foreign exchange student also.
    Thanks Sara. I think that's the way to get the word out. Lots of sharing on FB. I sure hope they find her. It came to my attention because all the Chicago Stations have been sharing this story.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jun 26 2017, 5:35 pm ET

CHICAGO — Yingying Zhang, the daughter of a working-class factory driver from China, took the same career path as millions of other young Chinese academics before her: She traveled to a university in the U.S. with dreams of one day landing a professorship and being able to help her parents financially.

But just weeks after arriving at the University of Illinois, the 26-year-old visiting scholar in agriculture sciences stepped off a bus on a sunny afternoon and got into a black hatchback. She hasn't been seen since.
    Her disappearance June 9 on her way to sign an apartment lease is being treated as a kidnapping. The case has shaken staff and students at Illinois' flagship public school in Urbana-Champaign. And it's led some parents of the more than 300,000 Chinese students currently studying at American universities to question whether it's safe send to their children to the United States.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] In this undated handout, Chinese scholar, Yingying Zhang, is shown. University of Illinois Police Department
    Zhang's father, Ronggao Zhang, traveled to the university from the family's home in Nanping, China, to await word on his daughter. He had a message for whoever might have abducted her.
    "We will forgive you," he said in a telephone interview. "But please, let Yingying go."
    Related: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The 53-year-old, speaking through a translator, had a message for his daughter, too: "Yingying, please be strong."
    Local police and the FBI say Zhang's case is a top priority, though they have withheld details of their investigation, even from the father, said Yingying Zhang's boyfriend, who sat in on the weekend interview with the father from the 44,000-student campus about 140 miles south of Chicago.
    "So you can imagine the anxiety," Xiaolin Hou said. "It's almost torture ... not knowing anything."
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Yingying Zhang (L). University of Illinois Police Department
    Chinese media have covered Zhang's disappearance, with her friends and acquaintances drawing attention to her case on Chinese social media sites such as WeChat.
    "There's so little we can do at home, but we'd like the local police in the United States to stay on top of the case and not to let it slide," said Zhao Kaiyun, a roommate of Zhang's at Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School. Zhang graduated last year with a masters' degree in environmental engineering.
    The University of Illinois has the largest Chinese student population of any U.S. college, with 5,600 students enrolled, according to U.S. government data.
    By chance, U of I representatives recently held a previously scheduled orientation session in China for students headed to the school and their parents. Several attendees asked about Zhang's disappearance, said Robin Kaler, the associate chancellor for public affairs.
    "Parents were very concerned," she said. "We obviously tell them that it is a very safe community in general, but that there are instances when horrible things can happen. And this is one instance."
    Urbana-Champaign, with a population around 250,000, typically records no more than a few homicides each year.
    The university's reputation as a leader in agriculture studies attracted Zhang to the school. She's been doing researching on crop photosynthesis, Kaler said. The expectation was that she would begin work on her Ph.D. in the fall.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Yingying Zhang University of Illinois Police Department
    One central motivation for everything she did was a desire to help her parents in Nanping, a city in a picturesque part of China amid mountain ranges and forests, her boyfriend said. She set aside part of her research income to buy her parents devices to make their lives easier, including a microwave and a cellphone.
    He and the father described Yingying as bright and studious, fun-loving and outgoing. She plays the guitar and was the lead singer in band called "Cute Horse" at college in China. One of her favorite songs, her boyfriend said, was "The Rose," a hit in 1980 for American singer Bette Midler.
    Yingying, they added, is also street-smart and cautious and would not normally get into a car with a stranger unless somehow duped or forced. Zhao recalls Yingying heeding news reports of women going missing, adding, "She is good at protecting herself."
    Some reports suggested she may have called a ride-sharing service because she was running late, though investigators have not confirmed that. Local police said they received a separate report of someone posing as a police officer trying to lure women into his car, but have not said if it could be related.
    The 5-foot-4, 110-pound Zhang, wearing a baseball cap and carrying a backpack, was seen on a surveillance video standing by the black Saturn Astra for a few minutes before getting in. Investigators say the driver appeared to be a white male.
    Henry Chang-Yu Lee, a Connecticut-based criminal forensics expert who was born in China, said Zhang's case stands out because she disappeared in daylight hours. Abductions often occur at night and frequently outside bars and clubs, he said.
    Illinois investigators are probably focused on identifying the owner of the car, trying to enhance surveillance video to read the license plate. They would also be combing Illinois sex-offender registration lists to see if anyone on it can be tied to the vehicle.
    "But you are racing against time," he said. "If this car left Illinois and went to California or Texas, you'll have an even harder time finding her."
    Zhang's father refuses to let himself think she won't be found alive. Addressing her in the interview, he said he won't leave Illinois during the search.
    "I will wait for you," he said. "And we will definitely find you."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

$93,028 of $30k goal

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If I did this right it's a really good video of Yingying getting into the vehicle she got into and disappeared.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If I did this right it's a really good video of Yingying getting into the vehicle she got into and disappeared.
    great video. I wonder if it is Uber

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraSidle [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I thought that too Sara. She looks like she is waiting. The driver pulls right up with no hesitation on either's part. They converse then she gets in and off they go.

Do passenger's in ubers sit in the front or back?
    The video looks nice and clear. I hope they find her alive!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always sit in the front of my taxis

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I didn't even think of that Sara. Great thought, she would have no hesitation getting into an Uber.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it was a FAKE Uber.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two things bother me. They are not revealing any details of the investigation to the family and they took down these billboards with so much money in the GFM account. Do they know more than they are saying?

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, Ill. (WCIA) -- Billboards with information about Yingying Zhang in Champaign-Urbana and areas up to 200 miles away are now gone.

Zhang is still missing, and students at UI are still on edge. The FBI had put up billboards in Chicago, Indianapolis and St. Louis. They were trying to spread the word beyond Central Illinois, but those billboards are gone now.
    The FBI says it has pre-existing agreements with billboard companies for cases like this, but the contract ran out Friday.

The electronic billboards included a picture of Zhang, a description of the car she was last seen getting into and the number anyone with information should call.
    The FBI did that to spread the word in case anybody has seen her in other areas outside of Champaign-Urbana.

Chinese exchange students at UI say, in the middle of all the unknowns in this case, it gave some comfort to them.

Yifan Ping says, "It's great to hear because as a fellow Chinese-American student studying here at Champaign-Urbana we care so much about Yingying and want her to found as soon as possible. And knowing that the FBI is making the effort to put the information up is beyond the Champaign-Urbana area might help Yingying get back home earlier."

The FBI says it's in the process of renewing contracts with billboard companies and looking to get them back up soon. (WTH???? They must have something)

Zhang was last seen June 9. That means it's been 17 days since she's been gone. The FBI says these billboards are just one of many ways they're working find whoever kidnapped her.

They also say the billboards are helpful to spread the word about missing persons cases.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers. Tipsters are always 100% completely anonymous.

All tips submitted to Crime Stoppers are electronically stripped of any personally identifying information and processed by a third-party answering service, not law enforcement.

Cash rewards of up to $1,000 are paid for information leading to an arrest. Tipsters will never be asked their name and are given a secret code number to use when checking on a possible reward.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another thought. With this happening in the middle of the day in a well traveled area I think there are lots of video's along that street that they are not talking about right now. By now they have a license number and a pretty good picture of the driver from those video's.

I watch a really good program over on the ID channel called See No Evil.

I'm pretty sure they've got something!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes, a pretty clear shot of the front license plate in the photo above.

but who knows if it's real? I don't know...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    they found the car:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    they found the car:

Wow thank you! I'll bet we will be hearing something very soon. I so hope she is alive. She is just a little thing but so very bright. She already has completed her masters degree and was here to get her PHD.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    pk are you finding any FB groups that are talking about this? They usually have lots of info on what's going on. I looked but am not real good at finding that kind of thing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Twenty-six-year-old Yingying Zhang's disappearance has been labeled a kidnapping but police haven't ruled out other scenarios. Surveillance video on June 9 showed her getting into the vehicle.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Twenty-six-year-old Yingying Zhang's disappearance has been labeled a kidnapping but police haven't ruled out other scenarios. Surveillance video on June 9 showed her getting into the vehicle.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

FBI Press Release. I tried to copy and paste but no luck.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do any of you think that maybe she wanted to go missing,was her visa about to expire or anything like that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Video of her family. Father, Aunt and boyfriend. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    pk are you finding any FB groups that are talking about this? They usually have lots of info on what's going on. I looked but am not real good at finding that kind of thing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Do any of you think that maybe she wanted to go missing,was her visa about to expire or anything like that.
    I'm wondering about that. I don't think her visa would have expired because in the Fall she was entering college studies for her PHD. That makes me think the visa would be in good order.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast