Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 103
  1. #31
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Gosh I looked and looked but could find nothing. Thanks Dingo!

  2. #32
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)



    courtesy of twitter
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  3. #33
    Admin dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,759
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I'm wondering about that. I don't think her visa would have expired because in the Fall she was entering college studies for her PHD. That makes me think the visa would be in good order.
    Thanks Justy.

  4. #34
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was hoping for some good news.

  5. #35
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was just reading that a candlelight march and music will be held at the university on Thursday.

    That kind of troubles me

    What if she had a moment and disappeared on her own?

    To me the Chinese are very proud and I wonder with family pleas and marches would that make it harder to return if she's still alive?

    I surely do hope she is still alive and will soon return.

  6. #36
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kind of a nice synopsis of what has happened so far. Includes video and information.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  7. #37
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Kind of a nice synopsis of what has happened so far. Includes video and information.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    snipped from your link


    Police described the extensive investigative efforts employed to find Zhang and said they are investigating “reports of a black sedan whose driver poses as an undercover police officer to lure people into the car.”

    “We are enlisting every available resource to help find Ms. Zhang. Investigators have spoken with people who know her, and we are searching security camera footage, local hospitals, working with rideshare programs like Uber and Lyft, and checking other records,” police wrote. “Investigators have also looked into reports of a black vehicle whose driver invited other young women into the car. Although we cannot release many specific details of our investigation, we are exploring a number of routes which we hope may help us find Ms. Zhang.”
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  8. #38
    Senior Member protectkidz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,898
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would hope they would have some stronger leads now that they found the car. They should already know who the owner is.

  9. #39
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I would hope they would have some stronger leads now that they found the car. They should already know who the owner is.
    I was just going to comment on that. I have been sitting in on other conversations about this case. One of the theories is that the car and owner did what they were hired to do. Picked her up and dropped her off. After that she went missing and that's why the car and owner are no longer of any interest to FBI per their 'we found the car, no more tips' message.

    On the other hand several are writing that a car just like that one attempted to lure students into it in the days leading up to Yingying's disappearance. Pretending to be LE and evidently where she got into the car is very close to the police station.

    That's about all I've got right now. Just some things to think about as we ponder this missing PHD student.

  10. #40
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    $93,028 of $30k goal
    The goal has changed...hummm.

    $97,958 of $150k goal


  11. #41
    Admin dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,759
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The goal has changed...hummm.

    $97,958 of $150k goal
    What are they using all that money for?

  12. #42
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    (CNN)Yingying Zhang is so cautious, she warned her aunt in China to "be careful" when going out and to avoid using shared ride services.

    "You never know who it is," Liqin Ye recalled her niece saying.
    But Zhang, a University of Illinois student, may have had a false sense of security in the United States. And that could have led to her disappearance, her family told CNN.
    On June 9, surveillance video showed the 26-year-old graduate student getting into the passenger side of a black Saturn Astra.

  13. #43
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the guy posed as the landlord of the apt YingYing was on her way to see? Did he place an ad somewhere pretending to have an apt for rent? I just don't see her getting in a random car. She rode the bus and the surveillance camera showed her getting off the bus.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    by water
    Posts
    1,168
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and did they get anything from the car? for pete's sake they have had it long enough. can read the vin
    my posts are my opinion only

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    by water
    Posts
    1,168
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a report on CNN news page that an arrest has been made of a 27 yr old man who was driving the car and the police have reason to believe she is no longer alive. I could not copy and post
    my posts are my opinion only

  16. #46
    Administrator Aubrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Leprechaun House In The Big Pines
    Posts
    6,463
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
     
    Man arrested for YingYing Zhang kidnapping

    Updated:Jun 30, 2017 11:26 PM CDT

    UPDATE: 10:30 PM, 6/30/17, Friday

    CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCIA) -- The FBI arrested Brendt Christensen for the kidnapping of Yingying Zhang, but they haven't found her.

    The FBI says they don't believe she's alive. They say Christensen's vehicle passed Zhang at the MTD bus stop where she was waiting and circled back around to her. From the surveillance video, she was seen speaking with the driver and brought the passenger window for about a minute.

    At around 2pm on June 9th, she was seen on surveillance video entering into the suspects car. At 9:30 that night a U of I professor reported to police that Zhang was missing because they weren't able to contact her.

    On June 12th they located the car at Stonegate Apartments in Champaign. Christensen was the registered owner. He was questioned by law enforcement that same day. He claimed he was either sleeping or playing video games the day she went missing. The FBI searched his vehicle but didn't find anything.

    On June 15th he was brought in for an interview and admitted to driving around the U of I campus when he saw Zhang on the street and offered her a ride. She got in the car. Christensen says he made a wrong turn and Zhang panicked. He claims he let her out of the car in a residential area a few blocks away from where he picked her up.

    The FBI also searched his phone and found history of "abduction 101" and "perfect abduction fantasy" and "the perfect kidnapping".

    Since June 15th, the FBI continued surveillance of Christensen and monitored his activities. On June 29th he was captured on law enforcement audio surveillance explaining how he kidnapped Zhang and brought her back to his apartment, holding her against her will.

    As of June 30th she is still missing. The family has been notified of what happened.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Terrible news, was hoping for a better outcome. Praying for Yingying and her family.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

  17. #47
    Administrator Aubrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Leprechaun House In The Big Pines
    Posts
    6,463
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Man charged with kidnapping Chinese scholar at U. of I. who is now believed dead

    July 1, 2017

    Federal authorities have arrested and charged a 28-year-old man with allegedly kidnapping Yingying Zhang, a visiting scholar at University of Illinois who disappeared three weeks ago and now is presumed dead.

    Brendt Christensen of Champaign was arrested late Friday, according to a news release from the Department of Justice. A federal complaint also was filed Friday in the Central District of Illinois accusing him of kidnapping Zhang from the Urbana-Champaign campus the afternoon of June 9.

    SNIP

    "The entire campus community is saddened by this news and our hearts are with the family of Yingying Zhang tonight," U. of I. Chancellor Robert Jones said in a statement. "This is a senseless and devastating loss of a promising young woman and a member of our community. There is nothing we can do to ease the sadness or grief for her family and friends, but we can and we will come together to support them in any way we can in these difficult days ahead."

    SNIP

    The day she disappeared, Zhang was at Turner Hall, where she conducted her research, between 8:30 a.m. and around 12:30 p.m., according to the affidavit. She then went back to her apartment for lunch, authorities say.

    Zhang left shortly after, heading to a different apartment complex in Urbana to sign a lease. She texted the building manager around 1:39 p.m. to say she was running late, according to the affidavit, and planned to arrive around 2:10 p.m.

    Video showed Zhang boarding a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District bus around 1:35 p.m. She took the Teal line bus from Orchard Downs and exited at West Springfield and North Mathews avenues at 1:52 p.m., police said.

    Four minutes later, Zhang was seen on video trying to flag down another MTD bus, but it passed her without stopping. The affidavit states the bus was a Limited Line bus and probably did not stop because Zhang was standing on the wrong side of the street to board.

    Unable to catch the bus, Zhang walked north to the intersection of North Goodwin Avenue and West Clark Street, where she stood at another designated MTD bus stop on the southeast corner. According to the MTD website, the Goodwin and Clark stop is designated for the Illini Limited weekday daytime route, which runs only during university breaks and summer sessions.

    Around 2 p.m., a black Saturn Astra, which authorities say was driven by Christensen, was seen on surveillance video from a nearby building driving east on West University Avenue, then turning onto Goodwin and then to Clark Street, past where Zhang was standing. The Astra then reappeared on surveillance video driving west on West Main Street, then turning back onto Goodwin.

    Authorities previously said the car appeared to be circling the area before approaching Zhang.

    Minutes later, the car pulled off to the side of the road where Zhang was standing. Video from a parking garage across the street showed Zhang speaking with the driver for about a minute before she got into the front passenger street, authorities say. The car then continued driving north on Goodwin Avenue.

    Zhang was not seen or heard from after that, police said. The apartment manager texted her at 2:38 p.m. and got no response, according to the affidavit.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Very long article, read more at link.

    Last edited by Aubrey; 07-01-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

  18. #48
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I had just turned off my computer when the news came on about YingYing last night. So sad.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  19. #49
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Man charged with kidnapping Chinese scholar at U. of I. who is now believed dead

    July 1, 2017

    Federal authorities have arrested and charged a 28-year-old man with allegedly kidnapping Yingying Zhang, a visiting scholar at University of Illinois who disappeared three weeks ago and now is presumed dead.

    Brendt Christensen of Champaign was arrested late Friday, according to a news release from the Department of Justice. A federal complaint also was filed Friday in the Central District of Illinois accusing him of kidnapping Zhang from the Urbana-Champaign campus the afternoon of June 9.

    SNIP

    "The entire campus community is saddened by this news and our hearts are with the family of Yingying Zhang tonight," U. of I. Chancellor Robert Jones said in a statement. "This is a senseless and devastating loss of a promising young woman and a member of our community. There is nothing we can do to ease the sadness or grief for her family and friends, but we can and we will come together to support them in any way we can in these difficult days ahead."

    SNIP

    The day she disappeared, Zhang was at Turner Hall, where she conducted her research, between 8:30 a.m. and around 12:30 p.m., according to the affidavit. She then went back to her apartment for lunch, authorities say.

    Zhang left shortly after, heading to a different apartment complex in Urbana to sign a lease. She texted the building manager around 1:39 p.m. to say she was running late, according to the affidavit, and planned to arrive around 2:10 p.m.

    Video showed Zhang boarding a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District bus around 1:35 p.m. She took the Teal line bus from Orchard Downs and exited at West Springfield and North Mathews avenues at 1:52 p.m., police said.

    Four minutes later, Zhang was seen on video trying to flag down another MTD bus, but it passed her without stopping. The affidavit states the bus was a Limited Line bus and probably did not stop because Zhang was standing on the wrong side of the street to board.

    Unable to catch the bus, Zhang walked north to the intersection of North Goodwin Avenue and West Clark Street, where she stood at another designated MTD bus stop on the southeast corner. According to the MTD website, the Goodwin and Clark stop is designated for the Illini Limited weekday daytime route, which runs only during university breaks and summer sessions.

    Around 2 p.m., a black Saturn Astra, which authorities say was driven by Christensen, was seen on surveillance video from a nearby building driving east on West University Avenue, then turning onto Goodwin and then to Clark Street, past where Zhang was standing. The Astra then reappeared on surveillance video driving west on West Main Street, then turning back onto Goodwin.

    Authorities previously said the car appeared to be circling the area before approaching Zhang.

    Minutes later, the car pulled off to the side of the road where Zhang was standing. Video from a parking garage across the street showed Zhang speaking with the driver for about a minute before she got into the front passenger street, authorities say. The car then continued driving north on Goodwin Avenue.

    Zhang was not seen or heard from after that, police said. The apartment manager texted her at 2:38 p.m. and got no response, according to the affidavit.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Very long article, read more at link.

    Pic of Brendt Christensen from your link.


    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  20. #50
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Copy of the Criminal Complaint at link.


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  21. #51
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is all so sad that it ended this way for this young woman with so much promise.

    As I read the above article Aubrey posted I can get a sense of what was happening with Yingying. She was running late, she missed the bus and it was hot. I think I read 93.

    This nice looking man that perhaps she had seen before at the college drove up, maybe said hello and asked where she was going and did she need a lift.

    With his appearance, nice car and that he too was from the university...either she knew this or he told her, she thought it safe to get out of the heat and to her appointment.

    This is all my own thoughts on what could have happened.

    One fatal mistake. One bad decision. Sad so very sad.

    I hope someway they find her, hopefully alive but most likely dead, so her parents can have that closure.

  22. #52
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Copy of the Criminal Complaint at link.


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  23. #53
    Administrator Aubrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Leprechaun House In The Big Pines
    Posts
    6,463
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I had just turned off my computer when the news came on about YingYing last night. So sad.
    I had a hard time falling asleep last night, so I was searching the news of course and came across the 1st article I posted at 12:37 a.m.

    I hope this POS tells LE where he put her, so her family can have a proper burial.

    IMO, they should allow China to have his trial there. I'm sure it would be swift and definitely would be death penalty!
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

  24. #54
    Senior Member justme222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Christensen is a PhD Student Researcher at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the same university where Zhang was a visiting scholar, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].




    Christensen wrote on LinkedIn: “I am a PhD candidate in experimental condensed matter physics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Currently, I fabricate nanoscale-level devices and perform electrical measurements on them in order to discover new things about mesoscopic physics. These measurements are done with a variety of devices; most notably probe stations and cryogenic systems. Along the way, I utilize an assortment of programs and skills, such as Python, LabVIEW, electron-beam lithography, atomic force microscopy, and much more.”

    Authorities also got hold of Christensen’s cell phone and found that he had visited threads titled “Abduction 101,” “perfect abduction fantasy” and “planning a kidnapping” on a fetish website called FetLife, according to the affidavit in the criminal complaint.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  25. #55
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Brendt Christensen's FB page.


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  26. #56
    Senior Member simba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    This is all so sad that it ended this way for this young woman with so much promise.

    As I read the above article Aubrey posted I can get a sense of what was happening with Yingying. She was running late, she missed the bus and it was hot. I think I read 93.

    This nice looking man that perhaps she had seen before at the college drove up, maybe said hello and asked where she was going and did she need a lift.

    With his appearance, nice car and that he too was from the university...either she knew this or he told her, she thought it safe to get out of the heat and to her appointment.

    This is all my own thoughts on what could have happened.

    One fatal mistake. One bad decision. Sad so very sad.

    I hope someway they find her, hopefully alive but most likely dead, so her parents can have that closure.
    I know when I was reading it and read she was running late, this guy may have told her he lives in the apt complex she was going to and on his way home. Then against her better judgement she got in the car. I don't think if she was running late she would have gotten in that car. So sad.

  27. #57
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He's married? Pic of him at graduation with a woman on his FB page and he's wearing a wedding ring and so is she.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  28. #58
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simba [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I know when I was reading it and read she was running late, this guy may have told her he lives in the apt complex she was going to and on his way home. Then against her better judgement she got in the car. I don't think if she was running late she would have gotten in that car. So sad.
    I wonder if she knew him from school and thought it would be fine to get a ride from him?
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  29. #59
    Senior Member simba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Brendt Christensen's FB page.


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    There's a mention of a Michele on his FB. Wife?

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  30. #60
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    snipped

    On June 15, Christensen was interviewed at the FBI’s Champaign office. According to the affidavit, authorities allege that he “admitted to driving around the UI campus when he observed an Asian female with a backpack standing at a corner appearing distressed. Christensen claimed that he drove up to the Asian female, who relayed she was late to an appointment. Christensen stated that he offered the Asian female a ride. The female entered his vehicle and attempted to show Christensen where she needed to go through her cell phone map app.”

    Christensen allegedly claimed that “he believed he made a wrong turn because the female became panicked.” He claimed that he then let the female out of the vehicle in a residential area a few blocks away from where he picked her up.

    However, on June 29, Christensen “was captured on audio recording while under law enforcement surveillance explaining how he kidnapped” Zhang, the affidavit alleges. Christensen stated that he brought Zhang “back to his apartment, and otherwise held her in his apartment against her will,” the affidavit alleges.

    A family obit from 2013 indicates that Christensen was married.


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •