Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I wonder if she knew him from school and thought it would be fine to get a ride from him?
    Thought the same. Although wasn't she new to the school? He may have pulled up some info on himself on his phone and the school, said he was married, so she felt a little safer. Remember she didn't get in the car immediately, I believe it's been reported it took her about a minute to finally get in.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simba [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Thought the same. Although wasn't she new to the school? He may have pulled up some info on himself on his phone and the school, said he was married, so she felt a little safer. Remember she didn't get in the car immediately, I believe it's been reported it took her about a minute to finally get in.
    I'm sure he made her feel comfortable as she did get in the car. POS looking for a victim.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Brendt Christensen's FB page.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

They are really going at him and his mother on her fb page. I'm kind of surprised they haven't taken the pages down by now. Isn't that one of the first things they do?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I so hope they find her very soon for the poor family. So difficult being so far away. Mother is so heartbroken. POS
    my posts are my opinion only

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Department Of Justice

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

JUNE 30, 2017

Champaign Man Arrested, Charged with Kidnapping Visiting Scholar

URBANA, Ill. – Late today, FBI agents arrested a Champaign, Ill., man, Brendt Christensen, 27, on a criminal complaint that charges Christensen with kidnapping visiting Chinese scholar Yingying Zhang on June 9, 2017. Christensen will remain in law enforcement custody pending his initial federal court appearance in Urbana scheduled on Monday, July 3, at 10:00 a.m.

The arrest and charges were announced by FBI Special Agent in Charge Sean Cox, Springfield Division, and Acting U.S. Attorney Patrick D. Hansen.

The affidavit filed in support of the complaint alleges that on June 9, Christensen was driving the black Saturn Astra which was observed on security camera video as it stopped next to Zhang at the corner of W. Clark St. and N. Goodwin Ave., at approximately 2:00 p.m. Zhang is observed on video entering the front passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle then pulled away and proceeded northbound on N. Goodwin Ave.

Since Zhang was last seen in the video entering the car, the FBI, the University of Illinois Police Department and the Illinois State Police and local law enforcement have worked around the clock to locate Ms. Zhang and to investigate her disappearance. As part of this effort, the University of Illinois community of faculty, staff and students, and residents of the Champaign-Urbana community have provided information and support to law enforcement in the continuing search for Ms. Zhang.

According to the affidavit, on June 29, 2017, while Christensen was under law enforcement surveillance, agents overheard him explaining that he kidnapped Zhang. Based on this, and other facts uncovered during the investigation of this matter, law enforcement agents believe that Ms. Zhang is no longer alive.

Members of Ms. Zhang’s family, the Chinese consulate, and University of Illinois officials have been advised of Christensen’s arrest and the evidence in the possession of the FBI.

Members of the public are reminded that a complaint is merely an accusation; the defendant is presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

CONTACTS:
    FBI: Brad Ware
    Bradley.Ware@ic.fbi.gov
    www.springfield.fbi.gov
    Twitter: @FBISpringfield

U.S. Attorney’s Office: Sharon Paul
    Sharon.Paul@usdoj.gov
    www.justice.gov/cdil
    Twitter: @USAO_CDIL

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering who he was overheard explaining this to?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness for surveillance cameras or this bastard probably wouldn't of been caught.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregongal [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I'm wondering who he was overheard explaining this to?
    I'm thinking it could have been family member, maybe his mother or wife? I read on one of these pages that he might be married.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    BC is quite the opportunistic POS .

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Someone on twitter said that the murderer attended the march for YingYing. They said that's him on upper right of pic in black t-shirt.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    snipped

On the same day Zhang disappeared, Brendt attempted to pick up a white female while pretending to be an undercover officer​. He told her he wanted to ask her some questions and stated that she needed to get in his black Saturn Astra​ while she was walking around Busey and Stoughton in Urbana.

Source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I noticed he was wearing a wedding ring on his finger in one of the FB pages. Then in a family member obituary back in 2013 it said he was married.

But if all of this FBI scrutiny was taking place in his apartment I have not heard of a wife.

Maybe he had a roommate that turned him in.

I can't believe he attended that march and is in that picture posted above.

I have heard it said the LE goes to funerals of victims because a lot of times their killer is present. Strange.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I noticed he was wearing a wedding ring on his finger in one of the FB pages. Then in a family member obituary back in 2013 it said he was married.

But if all of this FBI scrutiny was taking place in his apartment I have not heard of a wife.

I have heard it said the LE goes to funerals of victims because a lot of times their killer is present. Strange.
    It is weird to me also. I cannot imagine wanting to go anywhere like that if I was a killer

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justme222 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hi Justy! He is definitely married, his wife's name is Michelle. This is her FB page: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

^^Interesting profile pic and date posted. There were numerous comments on a pic on BC's FB page about his wife's new profile pic...wondering about the body of water in the background and if it had any significance as to where Yingying's body is...also wondering if she (the wife) knew or was part of the abduction/presumed murder.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Hi Justy! He is definitely married, his wife's name is Michelle. This is her FB page: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

^^Interesting profile pic and date posted. There were numerous comments on a pic on BC's FB page about his wife's new profile pic...wondering about the body of water in the background and if it had any significance as to where Yingying's body is...also wondering if she (the wife) knew or was part of the abduction/presumed murder.
    Thanks maryjane. I had to reread what I wrote. What I should have said was I know he was married by the ring and the obituary. But I heard nothing of a wife living with him in the apartment where all the FBI survellience took place.

So I wonder if she is still around or if she's gone. He was a very strange man and into very strange things.

Personally I think he was fairly new to that apartment and maybe a guy or two lived there with him and they are the ones that wore the mikes that found him out.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Suspect in University of Illinois student’s kidnapping visited abduction fantasy website, FBI says

Posted 9:05 AM, July 3, 2017

URBANA, IL – Before Brendt Christensen allegedly kidnapped Yingying Zhang, he may have visited an online forum called "Abduction 101," with threads called "Perfect abduction fantasy" and "planning a kidnapping," an FBI agent said.

Additionally, photos are circulating online that appear to show Christensen participating in a walk to support Zhang’s family. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] published photos that show Christensen walking alongside her family and friends at a rally outside of the University of Illinois performing arts center on Thursday, just one day before the FBI arrested him.

A spate of unusual circumstances led authorities to charge Christensen with kidnapping. But while police now have their suspect, the victim is still nowhere to be found.

SNIP

Christensen's first court appearance is scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday at a federal court in Urbana. It's not clear whether the suspect, who is still in custody and has not yet entered a plea, has an attorney.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Abduction suspect makes first appearance in court

Updated on July 3, 2017 at 10:54 AM

CHICAGO -- Hundreds of people gathered outside a federal courthouse Monday as the suspect in the kidnapping of a Chinese scholar at the University of Illinois made his first court appearance since he was arrested last week.

During the nine-minute hearing, 28-year-old Brendt Christiansen did not speak other than to acknowledge to the federal judge that he understood his rights. U.S. Magistrate Eric Long ordered Christiansen held without bond in the kidnapping of Yingying Zhang.

Authorities say facts in the case indicate the 26-year-old Zhang is dead, although her body hasn't been found.

Long ordered Christiansen to return to the court in Urbana on Wednesday to determine bond. A preliminary hearing was set for July 14, but that would be waived if a grand jury returns an indictment before then. The federal kidnapping charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison, according to a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's office.

The (Champaign) News-Gazette reported that about 45 people attended the hearing Monday morning, with another crowd in the courthouse lobby and yet more people across the street, many chanting "Justice for Yingying."

After the hearing, Christiansen's attorney Evan Bruno said he has talked to Christiansen a few times, but that "this case is very young and we haven't had a really full opportunity to develop everything yet."

Bruno asked the public to "be patient, to keep an open mind, wait 'till the evidence comes in."

Easy for his attorney to say "Be patient," it's not his family member that remains missing and presumed deceased...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wonder if that's his wife he's holding hands with in the March held for missing Yingying?

The alleged kidnapper of missing Chinese student Yingying Zhang attended a rally in support of her family just one day before he was arrested.
    Brendt Christensen, 28, is charged with kidnapping Zhang, a visiting scholar at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, who police believe is now dead after she went missing on June 9.
    On Thursday, Christensen was at a rally in support of her friends and family, according to the East Illinois [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    Multiple photos of the event show a man bearing a very strong resemblance to Christensen with an unknown woman dressed in black.
    A photo taken by CNN correspondent

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Brendt Christensen criminal complaint

The criminal complaint issued for Brendt Christensen, 27, of Champaign, who was arrested late Friday on a federal criminal complaint charging him with kidnapping University of Illinois scholar Yingying Zhang.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Did Illinois man admit to abducting Chinese visiting scholar?

July 5, 2017, 7:15 AM - CBS THIS MORNING VIDEO

Brendt Christensen is facing federal charges in the June kidnapping of Yingying Zhang, a Chinese visiting scholar, and is set to make his second court appearance Wednesday. If convicted, the Illinois man could serve life in prison. Anna Werner reports.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've heard discussions about why it's federal since I don't think he crossed state lines and it doesn't seem to meet the criteria of a federal crime.

Anybody have any ideas on that. I was thinking maybe since she is not a US Citizen but just here as a student from China the feds get involved.

Seems to me like it would be handled by UB, Illinois courts.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Prosecutors: Kidnapping suspect attended victim's vigil

July 5, 2017

CHICAGO (AP) - Prosecutors say the suspect in the kidnapping of a University of Illinois scholar from China attended a vigil for the victim a day before his arrest and spoke about how she resisted.

A statement from Springfield's U.S. attorney's office followed a Wednesday detention hearing in Urbana for 28-year-old Brendt Christensen. A judge ordered he remain jailed because he's potentially dangerous.

Prosecutors said 26-year-old Yingying Zhang fought Christensen as he abducted her June 9. Prosecutors say Christensen also spoke about what makes an ideal victim. Prosecutors didn't explain to whom Christensen made the comments.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Judge denies bail to alleged kidnapper of Chinese scholar

Wed Jul 5, 2017 | 6:16pm EDT

An Illinois man charged with abducting a missing Chinese scholar will remain in jail under a judge's order as the FBI investigates her disappearance, a court official said on Wednesday.

Judge Eric Long of the U.S. District Court in Urbana, Illinois, denied bail to Brendt Christensen, 28, who was arrested last week in Champaign, Illinois, on charges of kidnapping in the disappearance of Yingying Zhang, 26, on June 9, according to the court clerk's office.

Christensen's attorney, Evan Bruno, could not be reached Wednesday but said earlier that his client was presumed innocent of the charges. He has not yet been indicted. A preliminary hearing is set for July 14.

No body has been found but authorities believe Zhang is dead, although they have not disclosed why.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    People claim sightings in Salem of abducted U of I scholar from China

SALEM — In a strange turn of events, multiple individuals in Salem are reporting encounters with a University of Illinois scholar from China one week after she was reported as being kidnapped in Champaign.

According to multiple individuals, they were approached June 16 by 26-year-old Yingying Zhang at businesses across Salem. The young woman reportedly wanted to sell them jewelry to help support her education.woman is saying Zhang’s family from China will be in Salem today to pursue these reports.

One person says the missing scholar was in her store on June 16 wearing the same shirt in photos released by the FBI. That person also says Zhang’s family from China will be in Salem today to pursue these reports.

However, FBI Media Representative Brad Ware tells us the agency is not aware of the family going to Salem or of any reports of her being seen in the area after her reported abduction.

The Salem Police Department also says they have not received any calls or reports from the people claiming on Facebook to have seen Yingying Zhang seven days after her abduction.

Currently federal authorities say they believe Zhang is dead, though her body hasn’t been found.

more at link

I just heard this on my local news.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow. I just checked and salem is 2 hours south of Champaign. straight down 57. how odd

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Grand jury indicts Champaign man on charge of kidnapping student Yingying Zhang

POSTED 5:54 PM, JULY 12, 2017, BY [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

URBANA, Illinois– A federal grand jury has indicted Brendt Christensen, 28, in the kidnapping of University of Illinois student Yingying Zhang on June 9, 2017.
    Christensen was previously arrested and charged by criminal complaint on June 30. Wednesday’s indictment confirms that decision, charging Christensen with kidnapping Zhang, while she was waiting for her bus on the U of I campus

<snip>

The indictment means a preliminary hearing set for Friday is canceled. An arraignment date will be set in coming days.

Last edited by maryjane; 07-13-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I really wish he'd tell them where she is .

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The fundraiser lives on. How does everybody feel about this? When is enough enough? Until she is found? Until the family returns to china?

$130,110 of $150k goal

This fund was created to assist the family of missing U of I scholar Yingying Zhang with expenses incurred as the search for her continues.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NEW: Christensen to be arraigned on federal kidnapping charge on July 20
    Wed, 07/12/2017 - 7:16pm

NOW: Bail denied; Christensen allegedly described 'characteristics of an ideal victim' at vigil

URBANA — A federal grand jury today returned an indictment charging Brendt Christensen with the June 9 kidnapping of visiting Chinese scholar Yingying Zhang.
    Christensen remains in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service at the Macon County Jail, pending trial. He was denied bail last week in his second appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Eric Long.
    The indictment states that Christensen, a Champaign resident and former UI grad student, “willfully and unlawfully seized, confined, inveigled, decoyed, kidnapped, abducted, and carried away” Ms. Zhang “and otherwise held her for his own benefit and purpose, and used and caused to be used a means, facility and instrumentality of interstate commerce, namely, a Motorola cellular telephone and a Saturn Astra motor vehicle, in committing and in furtherance of the commission of the offense.”

If Christensen, 28, is convicted of kidnapping, he could face up to life in prison.
    More than a month following the More than a month following the alleged abduction, Ms. Zhang remains missing.
    Sharon Paul, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney’s office, reiterated in Wednesday’s announcement that “law enforcement investigating (Ms.) Zhang’s disappearance believe (Ms.) Zhang is deceased. This determination is based on facts presented in court and court documents, and other facts uncovered during the ongoing investigation.”
    FBI spokesman Brad Ware described the case as “ongoing,” adding that it “will continue to be ongoing until we locate Ms. Zhang.”

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dawn Rhodes‏Verified account @rhodes_dawn 4m4 minutes ago

Man charged with kidnapping Univ. of Illinois scholar Yingying Zhang scheduled to be arraigned today.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast