Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Suspect to plead not guilty in kidnapping of China scholar

July 20, 2017

URBANA, Ill. (AP) _ A 28-year-old man charged in the abduction of a University of Illinois scholar from China plans to plead not guilty.

Defense attorney Tom Bruno tells The (Champaign) News-Gazette that Brendt Christensen will enter the plea during a hearing Thursday afternoon in U.S. District Court, near the school in Urbana.

A grand jury returned an indictment last week charging Christensen with kidnapping. Christensen is accused of kidnapping 26-year-old Yingying Zhang on June 9 in Urbana, 140 miles (225 kilometers) southwest of Chicago. He is a recent graduate student in physics at the university.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Man charged with kidnapping U of I student wants trial delayed

POSTED 12:15 PM, AUGUST 28, 2017, BY [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

URBANA, Ill. — The suspect in the abduction of a University of Illinois scholar from China is scheduled to appear in court for a pretrial status hearing.

Lawyers for Brendt Christensen indicated before Monday’s hearing that they’ll ask the federal judge overseeing the case in Urbana to delay the trial date. It’s currently scheduled to start Sept. 12. Requests by defense attorneys for more time to go through evidence are common.

Yingying Zhang disappeared June 9, weeks after arriving at the central Illinois campus. The 26-year-old was doing research in agricultural sciences and expected to begin work on her doctorate in the fall.

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Judge pushes trial for suspect in abduction of U. of I. Chinese scholar to February
    August 28, 2017

The federal kidnapping trial of a man accused in the abduction of a University of Illinois scholar from China has been rescheduled.

The trial of Brendt Christensen in the disappearance of Yingying Zhang was scheduled to start Sept. 12. U.S. District Court Judge Colin Bruce on Monday granted Christensen's attorneys' request for a continuance until Feb. 27.

Defense attorney Tom Bruno said the defense is still waiting to see some of the evidence against Christensen. He added it would be unrealistic for the trial to begin before January.

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Attorneys for accused kidnapper ask to withdraw from case

Tue, 09/05/2017 - 12:10pm | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

URBANA — Saying their client can't afford to pay them for a possible death-penalty defense, Urbana attorneys for accused kidnapper Brendt Christensen have asked a federal judge to let them withdraw from his case.

On Friday, Tom Bruno and his sons, Anthony and Evan Bruno, attorneys for Christensen, filed a motion in U.S. District Court asking to withdraw as his attorneys.
    The 27-year-old Champaign man was indicted in July for the kidnapping of missing University of Illinois visiting scholar Yingying Zhang, 26.

Although she has not been located, the FBI has said repeatedly she is presumed dead. Ms. Zhang was reported missing June 9.

A hearing on the Brunos' request is set for 10:30 a.m. Friday before Judge Colin Bruce.

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    New attorney for Brendt Christensen

By: Morgan McHugh
    Posted: Sep 08, 2017 06:20 PM CDT
    Updated: Sep 08, 2017 06:23 PM CDT

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY - The man charged with kidnapping UI scholar Yingying Zhang has a new attorney, after his previous lawyers asked to be taken off the case.

Last week, the Bruno's filed a motion saying Brendt Christensen couldn't afford their counsel. Friday, the judge granted the request and appointed a public defender.
    Christensen is currently accused of kidnapping, but it could change. The prosecution says the case is heading in the direction of the death penalty.

The attorney general has to make the official ruling, but the Bruno's believe it's too important to wait. Whoever represents Christensen needs to get to work now.

more at link: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Suspect in kidnapping of U of I scholar from China facing potential death penalty

Oct 3, 2017

Former University of Illinois graduate student Brendt Christensen could be eligible for the death penalty if convicted on new charges filed Tuesday alleging he kidnapped and killed a visiting scholar from China in June.

Christensen, 28, of Champaign, was charged in a superseding indictment with one count of kidnapping resulting in a death stemming from the disappearance of 26-year-old Yingying Zhang, whose body has not been found.

The federal grand jury returned the four-page indictment with the special finding that Christensen committed the offense “in an especially heinous, cruel or depraved manner, in that it involved torture or serious physical abuse to the victim,” and that the crime occurred after “substantial planning and premeditation.”

The indictment also charged Christensen with two new counts of making false statements to FBI agents.

Christensen could face the death penalty if convicted on the new kidnapping charge, although the decision whether to seek it will be made at a later date by U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Urbana. If the death penalty is not sought, a conviction on the kidnapping count would call for mandatory life without parole.

more at link

I thought Illinois abolished the death penalty in 2011? I am so confused now and live in this state.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    is he being charged with federal crimes?

I'm wondering, because why would Jeff Sessions be involved? and if it's federal, does that mean that the ban on death penalty in Illinois doesn't apply?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'm wondering, because why would Jeff Sessions be involved? and if it's federal, does that mean that the ban on death penalty in Illinois doesn't apply?
    excellent question
    my posts are my opinion only

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Yes, the charges are federal/he was arrested on a federal complaint. Re: the death penalty, I found this article:

Suspect in kidnapping of U. of I. scholar from China facing potential death penalty
    October 3, 2017

Former [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] graduate student Brendt Christensen could be eligible for the death penalty if convicted on new charges filed Tuesday alleging he kidnapped and killed a visiting scholar from China in June.

Christensen, 28, of Champaign, was charged in a superseding indictment with one count of kidnapping resulting in a death stemming from the disappearance of 26-year-old Yingying Zhang, whose body has not been found.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Yes, the charges are federal/he was arrested on a federal complaint. Re: the death penalty, I found this article:

Suspect in kidnapping of U. of I. scholar from China facing potential death penalty
    October 3, 2017

Former [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] graduate student Brendt Christensen could be eligible for the death penalty if convicted on new charges filed Tuesday alleging he kidnapped and killed a visiting scholar from China in June.

Thank you MJ, I live in Illinois and didn't even think about Federal charges. Too much working, so tired that the brain isn't working...lol

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykittysmama [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Thank you MJ, I live in Illinois and didn't even think about Federal charges. Too much working, so tired that the brain isn't working...lol
    No worries, mkm, I hope you're able to get some rest .

I so wish Yingying's body would be found. I also am wondering if BC hasn't told them what he did with her remains, or if he has said but they just aren't able to locate them. <--- Ugh, so awful to even type that .

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would expect that they know he took her across states lines, wouldn't that mean federal kidnapping charges?

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would expect that they know he took her across states lines, wouldn't that mean federal kidnapping charges?
    That could be, pk, but AFAIK, it's never been stated why the FBI was on the case since the Yingying's initial disappearance. It's been posited that it was because of Yingying's status here as an international student but I've not seen that verified in the media.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234