Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Venus Williams Faces Wrongful-Death Suit in Car Crash

JUNE 30, 2017

The daughter of a man killed in a car crash involving the tennis star [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against her.

Williams was crossing an intersection in her Toyota S.U.V. in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., around 1 p.m. on June 9, when, according to a police report, she collided with a car being driven by Linda Barson. Barson’s husband, Jerome, 78, was a passenger in the car, and he died on June 22 from injuries he sustained in the crash.

According to the lawsuit, filed on Thursday and obtained by The New York Times, Linda Barson, 68, also sustained injuries, including “a cracked sternum, shattered right arm, broken wrist, hand and fingers.”

Williams, who arrived in London on Wednesday to prepare for her 20th Wimbledon tournament, made her first public comments about the crash with a post on her Facebook page Friday evening.

Williams wrote that she was “heartbroken by this accident. My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of Jerome Barson and I continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers.”

The accident happened as Williams’s car was crossing the intersection at about 5 miles per hour and Barson’s car ran into it, the report said. It said Williams was at fault for “violating the right of way” of the other vehicle, although she was not cited. A police spokesman said on Thursday that the accident remained under investigation. Williams was physically unharmed in the crash.

(Venus Williams’s vehicle is described as V1 in the police report on the accident. Credit Palm Beach Gardens Police Department)

Neither driver was suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or of being distracted by electronics or other factors, according to the police report.

Witnesses told investigators that Williams ran a red light just as Barson’s car entered the intersection on a green light.

“The driver of V2 (Barson) advised she proceeded thru the intersection when V1 (Williams) cut across in front of V2, and V2 was unable to avoid crashing into V1,” the police report said.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Wow, I'm shocked. Am I the only person who didn't hear about this accident? This is the first time I've seen anything in the media about Venus's accident.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I find it interesting that the media hasn't been all over this.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    JUNE 30, 2017

The daughter of a man killed in a car crash involving the tennis star [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against her.

Williams was crossing an intersection in her Toyota S.U.V. in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., around 1 p.m. on June 9, when, according to a police report, she collided with a car being driven by Linda Barson. Barson’s husband, Jerome, 78, was a passenger in the car, and he died on June 22 from injuries he sustained in the crash.

According to the lawsuit, filed on Thursday and obtained by The New York Times, Linda Barson, 68, also sustained injuries, including “a cracked sternum, shattered right arm, broken wrist, hand and fingers.”

Williams, who arrived in London on Wednesday to prepare for her 20th Wimbledon tournament, made her first public comments about the crash with a post on her Facebook page Friday evening.

Williams wrote that she was “heartbroken by this accident. My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of Jerome Barson and I continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers.”

The accident happened as Williams’s car was crossing the intersection at about 5 miles per hour and Barson’s car ran into it, the report said. It said Williams was at fault for “violating the right of way” of the other vehicle, although she was not cited. A police spokesman said on Thursday that the accident remained under investigation. Williams was physically unharmed in the crash.

(Venus Williams’s vehicle is described as V1 in the police report on the accident. Credit Palm Beach Gardens Police Department)

Neither driver was suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or of being distracted by electronics or other factors, according to the police report.

Witnesses told investigators that Williams ran a red light just as Barson’s car entered the intersection on a green light.

“The driver of V2 (Barson) advised she proceeded thru the intersection when V1 (Williams) cut across in front of V2, and V2 was unable to avoid crashing into V1,” the police report said.

Wow, I'm shocked. Am I the only person who didn't hear about this accident? This is the first time I've seen anything in the media about Venus's accident.
    First I heard of it was a snippet on my local news yesterday.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I find it interesting that the media hasn't been all over this.
    Yep, not only interesting, but irritating that it was kept so quiet...The accident occurred on June 9th, and I wonder had Jerome Barson not died on June 22nd, if we would have heard anything about it. I think not. IMO, I think she would have settled this with hospital expenses paid and nice little check for their troubles!
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Honestly, had this incident been caused by a member of a well-known American family it would have been splattered all over the media and would still be front page news today.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Honestly, had this incident been caused by a member of a well-known American family it would have been splattered all over the media and would still be front page news today.
    Oh hell yeah, I agree with you Sweet and that thought crossed my mind too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I read of it shortly after it happened. But then I belong to several on-line subscriptions: New York Times, Washington Post and LA Times. Don't know which one had the article..maybe all three. Not everything makes a headline.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    New Evidence Surfaces In Venus Williams' Fatal Car Crash Case

‎July‎ ‎08‎, ‎2017, ‎10‎:‎15‎ ‎AM

On June 9, tennis star Venus Williams was involved in a fatal Florida car crash that left the driver with moderate injuries and took a passenger’s life. Williams was virtually unscathed. However, the 78-year-old passenger, Jerome Barson, was taken to the ICU. Sadly, he died two weeks later.

On Thursday, Venus Williams filed an emergency protective order. This motion prevented the lawyer of Linda Barson, who the driver of the other car and wife of the victim, from conducting an inspection of Barson's Hyundai Accent and downloading its data.

On Friday, according to The New York Times, authorities investigating the tragic collision stated that “Williams lawfully entered the intersection on a circular green traffic signal.” In addition to the statement released on Twitter, The Palm Beach Gardens Police Department also released a video of the incident.

I watched the video at link several times. IMO, I really don't think Ms. Williams' is responsible for this accident.