Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member ~tj~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    6,773
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ‘Intellectually incapable’: Oregon couple LOSES custody of their children

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Social Services officials have taken an Oregon couple’s two children and placed them in foster care after the duo scored too low on a mandatory IQ test, as reported by Daily Mail.

    Amy Fabbrini, 31, and Eric Ziegler, 38, are reeling after the state forcibly removed their kids, one a newborn. It all started when a relative to the couple expressed concern in a complaint to authorities.

    They were forced to take an IQ test, in which they both scored on the lower end of the spectrum. Fabbrini scored 72 and Ziegler scored 68. The average score is around 100.

    Ziegler’s IQ score categorized him under the mild “intellectual disability” range, while Fabbrini was categorized as having an “extremely low to borderline range of intelligence,” according to a copy of the child welfare report obtained by The Oregonian.

    It must be noted that authorities have received no complaints of abuse or neglect, though one child welfare worker stated that Fabbrini was “sleeping with the baby on the floor and almost rolled over on him.”

    More @ link.

  2. #2
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,845
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is really sad. The little boy looks well cared for. How many supposedly intelligent people do we read about her abuse and neglect their kids, so many.











    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  3. #3
    Senior Member ~tj~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    6,773
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know!! People have their babies at home all the time. And mom looks far from being malnourished! Also, name one person who hasn't taken a nap with their babies? They said she 'almost' rolled over on the baby. "Almost" only counts with hand grenades & horseshoes!

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess you have to leave one of your babies in a hot car to die, in order to be claimed fit to keep your children.
    How many times have we read the dead baby was one of many children in the family.? How many times have all the other children been removed? Same with babies drowning OMG I could go on and on about too called intelligent parents who imo were neglectfull for one reason or another and their child died.
    I hope this couple gets a good Pro-Bono attorney that really wants to help them get their children back. I have to wonder how many parents would pass an IQ test that would allowe them to keep their child(ren)?
    I met some really dumb parents. If everyone had to pass the test or get their children removed this country would be in big trouble.
    Last edited by TrialAddict; 08-01-2017 at 05:25 PM.

  5. #5
    Admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,159
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My God, what next? Ridiculous, SMH.

  6. #6
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a damn shame. Boy, that area must have the country's "best" parents if this is the type of "child protection" services keeping them busy. What does IQ have to do with nurturing a loving a child? Some can do it, and some can't, or shouldn't. I, too, hope somebody really good takes this case-and gets these children back where they belong!

    As for her not knowing about the pregnancy and no prenatal care-these family members who are so worried, where were they? Did they not surmise anything? Could they not have, instead of filing complaints, supported this couple and helped them prepare-you know like high IQ families do-don't many of them live with parents, borrow money, cars, have help babysitting?

    It's just my opinion, but I worked with developmentally disabled adults. We had two couples who lived as a family(they were not permitted to legally marry, so they "committed") One couple had a daughter. Dad works at a restaurant, Mom stayed home a few years and began working at a market when daughter entered school. The other couple were together a few years, then separated. Just as people with high IQs do.
    Last edited by PAJS; 08-01-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added thought

  7. #7
    Admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,159
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAJS [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    What a damn shame. Boy, that area must have the country's "best" parents if this is the type of "child protection" services keeping them busy. What does IQ have to do with nurturing a loving a child? Some can do it, and some can't, or shouldn't. I, too, hope somebody really good takes this case-and gets these children back where they belong!

    As for her not knowing about the pregnancy and no prenatal care-these family members who are so worried, where were they? Did they not surmise anything? Could they not have, instead of filing complaints, supported this couple and helped them prepare-you know like high IQ families do-don't many of them live with parents, borrow money, cars, have help babysitting?

    It's just my opinion, but I worked with developmentally disabled adults. We had two couples who lived as a family(they were not permitted to legally marry, so they "committed") One couple had a daughter. Dad works at a restaurant, Mom stayed home a few years and began working at a market when daughter entered school. The other couple were together a few years, then separated. Just as people with high IQs do.
    Excellent post, Pat, and I agree with every word.

    As TrialAddict said, I hope they get a good attorney.

  8. #8
    Active Member Tetris Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Target Champion, Aim & Fire Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who has the right to judge the intellect of other people. Unless there is abuse or neglect, this couple need to get an attorney and sue.

  9. #9
    Administrator mykittysmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7,845
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Trial to decide if couple is intellectually capable of being parents

    Dec 12, 2017


    Amy Fabbrini and Eric Ziegler sat silently in court this week as attorneys argued over whether they are intellectually capable of raising their sons.

    A bench trial underway in Deschutes County will determine if the state can keep custody of 9-month-old Hunter and terminate their parental rights to 4-year-old Christopher. Both boys have been in foster care almost since birth, after Fabbrini's family raised concerns to the state.

    This isn't a case about abuse or neglect. The crux of the state's argument is that the Redmond couple would be unable to anticipate and meet the needs of their children. Fabbrini's IQ has tested at 72, Ziegler's at 66, whereas the average IQ falls between 90 and 110.

    Taking away parental rights is one of the most severe steps the state can take, so it ought to be an exhaustive, intensively researched ordeal. As such, five attorneys are on the case: one for each parent, one from the Department of Justice representing the Department of Human Services, one from the District Attorney's office representing the state, and one appointed to represent the two children. Each child also has a Child Appointed Special Advocate in the courtroom.

    Family court records are sealed to public review, but anyone (except pending witnesses) can sit in the gallery while court is in session. In the day and a half of testimony I watched, the two major witnesses were psychologists. One had evaluated the father but had never seen the children; the other had evaluated the older child but had never met his parents.

    more at link

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This cuts close to home. I am friends with a couple in a similar predicament. Both lower scale IQs. Husband is somewhat lower functioning than wife...but wife holds down a full time job and is quite functional. She is 3 months pregnant and playing defense already. She has coordinated a weekly nurse visit, a weekly caseworker visit, parenting classes and just about everything else you can think of in order to make sure she has the best chance of keeping her baby after delivery. Even though she is well ahead of the game than the average pregnant woman, she is scared.

    Sad.

  11. #11
    Admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,159
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kids [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    This cuts close to home. I am friends with a couple in a similar predicament. Both lower scale IQs. Husband is somewhat lower functioning than wife...but wife holds down a full time job and is quite functional. She is 3 months pregnant and playing defense already. She has coordinated a weekly nurse visit, a weekly caseworker visit, parenting classes and just about everything else you can think of in order to make sure she has the best chance of keeping her baby after delivery. Even though she is well ahead of the game than the average pregnant woman, she is scared.

    Sad.
    So nice to see you here, 4k!

    Best of luck to your friends, I hope they are 'safe' from this type of 'scrutiny' (for lack of a better word?).

    IMO, where's there's no smoke, there's no fire.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    So nice to see you here, 4k!

    Best of luck to your friends, I hope they are 'safe' from this type of 'scrutiny' (for lack of a better word?).

    IMO, where's there's no smoke, there's no fire.
    The caseworker has assured them that the risk of "interference" by the government is currently low. Lol

    I feel for this couple in Oregon. I'm waiting for that factoid that maybe wasn't reported? If there isn't a reason, then that enables the government to take children from certain perceived "high risk" couples before something happens, I guess? If so...wow.

  13. #13
    Admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,159
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kids [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The caseworker has assured them that the risk of "interference" by the government is currently low. Lol

    I feel for this couple in Oregon. I'm waiting for that factoid that maybe wasn't reported? If there isn't a reason, then that enables the government to take children from certain perceived "high risk" couples before something happens, I guess? If so...wow.
    Wow, indeed .

    And I agree, unless there's something that hasn't been revealed and they have been targeted solely because of their reported IQ....just, no.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •