Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Glen Campbell, 'Rhinestone Cowboy' Singer Who Fused Country and Pop, Dead at 81

Glen Campbell, 'Rhinestone Cowboy' Singer Who Fused Country and Pop, Dead at 81
    August 8, 2017
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Glen Campbell, the indelible voice behind 21 Top 40 hits including "Rhinestone Cowboy," "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," died Tuesday. He was 81. A rep for Universal Music Group, Campbell's record label, confirmed the singer's death to Rolling Stone.*During a career that spanned six decades, Campbell sold over 45 million records. In 1968, one of his biggest years, he outsold the Beatles.
    Related

From his signature "Rhinestone Cowboy" to an unconventional Foo Fighters cover
    "It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather, and legendary singer and guitarist, Glen Travis Campbell, at the age of 81, following his long and courageous battle with Alzheimer's disease," the singer's family said in a statement.
    "Some people have said that I can 'hear' a hit song, meaning that I can tell the first time a song is played for me if it has potential," he once said. "I have been able to hear some of the hits that way, but I can also 'feel' one."

Campbell was born in 1936 in Billstown, Arkansas, the seventh son in a sharecropping family of 12 kids. "We used to watch TV by candlelight," Campbell told Rolling Stone in 2011.
    In his youth, Campbell started playing guitar and became obsessed with jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt. He dropped out of school when he was 14 and moved to Wyoming with an uncle who was a musician, playing gigs together at rural bars. He soon moved to Los Angeles and by 1962 had solidified a spot in the Wrecking Crew, a group of session pros. In 1963 alone he appeared on 586 cuts, and countless more throughout the decade, including the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man," Elvis Presley's "Viva Las Vegas,” Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried" and the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."*
    "I’d have to pick cotton for a year to make what I'd make in a week in L.A.," he said. "I learned it was crucial to play right on the edge of the beat ... It makes you drive the song more. You're ahead of the beat, but you're not." Fellow Wrecking Crew member Leon Russell called Campbell "the best guitar player I'd heard before or since. Occasionally we'd play with 50 or 60-piece orchestras. His deal was he didn't read [music], so they would play it one time for him, and he had it."

He fit right in," said Wilson. "His main forte is he's a great guitar player, but he's even a better singer than all the rest. He could sing higher than I could!" Wilson even wrote an early song, "I Guess I'm Dumb," for Campbell. His first hit was a cover of Buffy Sainte-Marie's antiwar song "Universal Soldier." But Campbell's own political views tended to be conservative. "The people who are advocating burning draft cards should be hung," he said in 1965.
    Campbell had his first major hit in 1967, with "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," written by Jimmy Webb, an L.A. kid with a knack for intricate ballads. "Glen's vocal power and technique was the perfect vehicle for these, in a way, very sentimental and romantic songs. And I think that you know we made some records that were very nearly perfect. 'Wichita Lineman' is a very near perfect pop record," Webb said. "I think in the process that Glen was a prime mover in the whole creation of the country crossover phenomenon that made the careers of Kenny Rogers and some other... many other artists possible."

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    RIP Mr. Campbell.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Senior Member Asteroids Champion, Crazy Shuttle Champion, Barb Jump Champion, Arkanoid Champion MissWasabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved him.

He was so good in person - very funny and personable guy.

I saw him at the OC Fairgrounds in 1968.

My favorite song of his is "Galveston".

RIP Glen.
    Last edited by MissWasabi; 08-08-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissWasabi [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Loved him.

He was so good in person - very funny and personable guy.

I saw him at the OC Fairgrounds in 1968.

My favorite song of his is "Galveston".

RIP Glen.
    I loved his music too,sad day for Country music.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did any of you watch "I'll Be Me" - his last tour? It's available now on Netflix.

Admin
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Did any of you watch "I'll Be Me" - his last tour? It's available now on Netflix.
    Putting it on my list!

My dad and brother saw him in concert back in the 70's.

RIP

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glen Campbell was a wonderful entertainer. His talent will be missed. Few can compare to his importance during his first years. I was more into rock, but he was an exception for me! Rest in Peace, Mr Campbell. Thank you for the beautiful music.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice tribute from his daughter I loved his music and will be playing it a few times and shed a few tears!!

Glen Campbell's daughter posts touching tribute: 'I owe him everything'
    18 hrs ago
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Ashley Campbell, daughter of legendary musician Glen Campbell, has shared a touching tribute to her late father on social media.
    “Heartbroken. I owe him everything I am, and everything I ever will be,” Ashley posted to Instagram shortly after news of her 81-year-old father’s death — which came after a multi-year bout with Alzheimer’s — broke Tuesday. “He will be remembered so well and with so much love.”

Ashley Campbell, daughter of legendary musician Glen Campbell, has shared a touching tribute to her late father on social media.
    “Heartbroken. I owe him everything I am, and everything I ever will be,” Ashley posted to Instagram shortly after news of her 81-year-old father’s death — which came after a multi-year bout with Alzheimer’s — broke Tuesday. “He will be remembered so well and with so much love.”

His breakthrough came in 1967, with the debut of his Gentle on My Mind LP, which was followed by the 1968 hit Wichita Lineman.
    “It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather, and legendary singer and guitarist, Glen Travis Campbell,” a statement read on Glen’s website. “Glen is survived by his wife, Kim Campbell of Nashville; their three children, Cal, Shannon and Ashley; his children from previous marriages, Debby, Kelli, Travis, Kane, and Dillon; 10 grandchildren, great- and great-great-grandchildren; sisters Barbara, Sandra, and Jane; and brothers John Wallace ‘Shorty’ and Gerald.”

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetC [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Yes, I did, Sweet. It was awesome, yet bittersweet. RIP Glen

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperdog [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Yes, I did, Sweet. It was awesome, yet bittersweet. RIP Glen
    Copperdog!
    So happy to see you post.
    How you doing darlin?

Glen Campbell was a wonderful talent. As his life attests to.
    I think he also helped bring country music to those who'd never listened.
    Rest in peace Mr Campbell.
    Prayers for his family and friends.