Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pitt Student Found Dead Inside Pittsburgh Home Alina Sheykhet

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

PITTSBURGH -- A University of Pittsburgh student was found dead at a home in a Pittsburgh neighborhood over the weekend, police said.

Neighbors looked on at the crime scene from their front porches Sunday afternoon, CBS station KDKA-TV reports. "We didn't hear anything, and I didn't see anything," said neighbor Nancy D'andrea. She saw two people standing in front of the home who were clearly upset. "I feel so bad because I saw a guy and a lady, they were crying so loud I thought maybe they was her boyfriend or anything but after I realize I think was the mother and the father," she said.

Police responded to the home just before 9 a.m. Sunday. That's when they found the 20-year-old woman on the on the second floor. Paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene from blunt force trauma.
    The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office has identified the victim as Alina Sheykhet. Through Facebook, Sheykhet's brother said that he found out about his sister's death on his 25th birthday.

Neighbors said the home was just rented out last month but don't know anything about the people who live there. Police are trying to find out anything they can. They do believe Sheykhet was murdered sometime overnight.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PLEASE SHARE: Police need help finding Matthew Darby...he is wanted for questioning in the murder of Pitt student Alina Sheykhet. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    She was so beautiful!!! ......I sure hope they find that creep!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like he was a really bad one she got involved with. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

1 hour ago

Slain Pitt student had restraining order against boyfriend

PITTSBURGH – A University of Pittsburgh student found dead in her off-campus home during the weekend had recently filed a protection from abuse order against her ex-boyfriend, who is facing rape charges in an unrelated case.

Police on Monday said they were looking for 21-year-old Matthew Darby, who has not been charged in Alina Sheykhet's death.

Sheykhet, 20, was found Sunday morning by her father, who broke down her door after she failed to answer calls. He was picking her up to attend a breast cancer awareness walk.

Authorities said she died of head trauma, and the case was ruled a homicide.
    Darby was arrested Sept. 26 and charged with felony criminal trespass for allegedly breaking into Sheykhet's apartment

In her protection filing, she wrote that Darby climbed up the gutter of her home and broke in through the second-floor window.

"He did this because I left him and stopped answering his phone calls," Sheykhet wrote. She described him as abusive, controlling and jealous.
    The protection order was granted.

Darby was charged in March with rape, sexual assault and other charges in another county. He posted $10,000 bail that month, court records show.

David Shrager, Darby's attorney in both cases, told the Tribune-Review it was too soon for him to comment.

Sheykhet's father, Yan Sheykhet, told the Post-Gazette that he had dropped off his daughter at her apartment around 11 p.m. Saturday. On Sunday, he, his wife and daughter were to do the cancer walk together. Her housemates thought she still was sleeping when he arrived.

"She didn't answer the phone. She didn't text us," he said. "So we tried to open the door. It was locked. I pushed the door and I found her laying on the floor."
    He called her "the best person in the world," and said she excelled at dancing, singing and gymnastics.

Sheykhet was working toward becoming a physical therapist, her brother told WPXI-TV.
    Her Facebook page indicates she attended high school in a Pittsburgh suburb after moving from Ivanovo, Russia.

The university issued a statement expressing sadness and extending "its deepest sympathies to the student's family and those who knew her."
    Counselors were available Monday for students who needed them.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alina Sheykhet died Sunday, Oct. 8, 2017. She was the beloved daughter of Yan and Elly Sheykhet, sister of Artem Sheykhet, gone too young and too soon. You will be in our hearts forever. Rest in peace, our little Angel.
    Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2017, at RALPH SCHUGAR CHAPEL INC., 5509 Centre Ave., Shadyside. Funeral service will be at noon Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2017, in the funeral home. Interment will be at Homewood Cemetery.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    • Ex-boyfriend suspected in Pitt student's murder arrested in Myrtle Beach

UPDATE (12:10 p.m.): Matthew Darby’s attorney, David Shrager, said he is working to get in touch with his client as arrangements are made to bring him back to Pittsburgh from South Carolina.
    Related Headlines

• [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

“Obviously, I wish he would have come back here to Allegheny County and turned himself in in a professional capacity, but I'm still pleased it was handled peacefully and we can move forward,” Shrager said.
    Sources told Channel 11 News that it will likely be about a week before Darby is extradited back to Pittsburgh.
    We’re following all the developments in this case and will have Team 11 coverage -- including live reports from investigative reporter Rick Earle in Myrtle Beach -- on Channel 11 News, starting at 5 p.m.
    MATTHEW DARBY: WHAT WE KNOW

• [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], a University of Pittsburgh student who was found dead Sunday morning in her Oakland home.
    • A protection from abuse order was filed against Darby by Sheykhet in September and he was subsequently arrested. A new charge was filed Monday against Darby for violating the PFA, which police said stemmed from him breaking into Sheykhet’s home.
    • Darby was initially sought by police for questioning in Sheykhet’s death, but he was not charged with homicide until Tuesday.
    • Police in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, arrested Darby early Wednesday morning after a concerned citizen reported seeing him tampering with a window at a home.
    • The Friday before Sheykhet’s murder, Darby was in court for a rape charge in Indiana County.
    • Darby is a former student of the University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg, where he played basketball. In high school, he played basketball for Seneca Valley High School.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The ex-boyfriend of a college student found slain in the US state of Pennsylvania has been arrested and charged in her death, police say.

Matthew Darby, 21, was charged with the criminal homicide of Alina Sheykhet, whose body was found by her parents in her bedroom on Sunday.
    Police had been unable to locate Mr Darby since Ms Sheykhet's death.
    A claw hammer and two knives that may have been used in her murder were found near her home, police said.
    Mr Darby was arrested early on Wednesday in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
    It comes a day after Mr Darby's attorney, David Schrager, urged his client to turn himself in despite a lack of charges against him.