Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fire closes I-405, rages near Bel-Air, Getty museum in Los Angeles

2:45 Pm !2/6/2017

A new wildfire closed parts of Interstate 405 Wednesday morning near Los Angeles' posh Bel-Air area and prompted evacuations A new wildfire closed parts of Interstate 405 Wednesday morning near Los Angeles' posh Bel-Air area and prompted evacuations

More at link....

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny47 View Post
    2:45 Pm !2/6/2017

A new wildfire closed parts of Interstate 405 Wednesday morning near Los Angeles' posh Bel-Air area and prompted evacuations A new wildfire closed parts of Interstate 405 Wednesday morning near Los Angeles' posh Bel-Air area and prompted evacuations

More at link....
    My son Ryan is in the Studio City/North Hollywood area. He sent me pictures that were horrifying.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephie-you must be worried. hopefully Ryan will be ableto stay where he is, and the fires won't affect him. Can't be too healthy with all the smoke around, though.

Every year these fires rage and they are truly frightening. The lives that are lost, the homes, the fires spread so quickly-
    all the health issues. I can imagine the hospitals are loaded with people affected by the smoke. And the firefighters and first responders. Fighting so hard to save homes and people. Praying for them all.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAJS View Post
    Stephie-you must be worried. hopefully Ryan will be ableto stay where he is, and the fires won't affect him. Can't be too healthy with all the smoke around, though.

Every year these fires rage and they are truly frightening. The lives that are lost, the homes, the fires spread so quickly-
    all the health issues. I can imagine the hospitals are loaded with people affected by the smoke. And the firefighters and first responders. Fighting so hard to save homes and people. Praying for them all.
    Amen Pat.
    Adding my prayers as well Steph.

Admin
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregongal View Post
    Amen Pat.
    Adding my prayers as well Steph.
    And mine!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Prayers for all in harms Way in California I called my Bestie Paddy right away since she has family in this area so far everyone is OK Prayers for everyone including Stephie48!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the photos are horrible, I did see a video where a guy driving by rescued a bunny from the flames! It was unreal!

Hoping Ryan is going to be ok, Steph!

We have family there, but down in OC - Mission Viejo. Keeping a watch because God knows how fast this could spread.

I heard they are expecting hurricane force winds (80 mph!) which is extremely worrying. They have upgraded to Purple warning for the first time ever:

"...The color-coded system showing the expected strength of the wild winds driving the region's fierce wildfires has reached uncharted territory. It has pushed past red, which means “high,” into purple, which means “extreme.”

State fire Director Ken Pimlott said Wednesday that purple has never been used here before...."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Southern California wildfires burn with little containment as conditions worsen
    Dec 7, 2017, 11:33 AM ET

Firefighters across Southern California are battling four major wildfires, and brutal Santa Ana winds are expected to continue fanning the flames into Thursday.

The weather is not cooperating with the hundreds of officials trying to contain the flames in the region. Red flag warnings have been extended across much of Southern California through Saturday, while high winds warnings are in effect for mountains and valleys in Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

Sustained winds were gusting to 66 mph at Boney Mountain in Ventura County, according to the National Weather Service. Winds could gust to 80 mph in the early hours of Thursday, causing embers to spread even more. Much of Southern California is also experiencing humidity levels in the teens or even single digits.

More than 5,000 firefighters are dealing with the four large wildfires, as well as a smaller one in San Bernardino, which is entirely contained, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
    The Thomas fire, which was the first to ignite, has already burned about 96,000 acres of land and is expected to intensify due to the increasing winds. The Skirball fire is the smallest of the wildfires currently, but its threat to heavily populated areas of Los Angeles has drawn widespread attention. The Creek fire and Rye fire also continued to burn Thursday with little containment.

All Los Angeles Unified School District schools in the San Fernando Valley, as well as 17 schools on Los Angeles' west side, were shuttered through Friday. At least 265 schools have been closed. The University of California, Los Angeles, also canceled classes Thursday due to the Skirball fire.

It had swelled to over 108,000 acres by midnight local time on Thursday, according to the National Wildfire Coordinating Group, which is comprised of nine government agencies, among them the Bureau of Land Management, Forest Service, National Park Service and United States Fire Administration.
    The fire was just 5 percent contained as of Thursday morning.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A mansion that survived a wildfire sits on a hilltop in the Bel Air district of Los Angeles Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What an awful video. Prayers for everyone.
    my posts are my opinion only

Senior Member Asteroids Champion, Crazy Shuttle Champion, Barb Jump Champion, Arkanoid Champion MissWasabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lilac fire is spreading rapidly - very bad!

Down in Bonsall - San Diego County, near Pala Reservation.
    Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firefighters begin to turn the tide on Southern California wildfires
    2 hours

Firefighters hoped to make more progress Saturday against wildfires burning from Ojai to Oceanside destroying more than 500 structures and forcing hundreds of thousands to flee from their homes.

As Santa Ana winds finally died down Friday, crews were able to begin containment of some of the biggest fires. But red flag fire warnings remain in effect, and forecasters say the Santa Anas will return to San Diego County late Saturday evening.

On Saturday, Gov. Jerry Brown plans to survey the devastation Saturday in Ventura, the hardest hit by this week's firestorms.

Firefighters had a successful day battling flames on the southern edge of the Thomas fire, working toward the coast as well as parts of Ojai thanks to favorable wind patterns, a weakening of the winds and fire crews improving fire lines they had established, according to Bill Murphy, a spokesman for Cal Fire.

By Saturday morning, the Thomas fire had burned 143,000 acres and was 15% contained. As a result, Murphy said evacuations for most of the city of Ventura and Santa Paula were lifted.

Firefighters continued to encounter difficulty on the east side of the fire above Fillmore. Crews used helicopters to drop water on that portion to try to contain the fire. Firefighters also made progress on Highway 33 and the 101 Freeway on the west side of the blaze.

In Los Angeles County, firefighters were making progress on blazes in Sylmar, Santa Clarita and Bel-Air. The Creek Fire was now 80% contained, and the Rye Fire was 65% contained.