Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Michigan City, Ind., installs high tech Safe Haven box

I wasn't sure where to put this so I put it here. If it's in the wrong thread, mods please remove it and put it in the right place. Thank you!

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (WLS) --
    Michigan City, Ind., has installed a high tech Safe Haven box at one of their fire stations so mothers can safely abandon their infants anonymously. The idea came from a woman who was, herself, abandoned at birth.

The boxes don't look like much, but some believe they can save lives. On Thursday morning, the Cool Spring Fire Station became the first in northwest Indiana to unveil the Safe Haven Baby Boxes, a tool designed to protect newborns abandoned under the state's Safe Haven Law which allows a parent up to 30 days to give up an unwanted infant anonymously to a hospital, police or fire station - no questions asked.

"Seven babies the past 15 years within a five mile radius of this location were abandoned," says Captain Wes Rogers of Cool Spring Fire Department.

Indiana is the first state in the nation to install the high tech boxes, the brainchild of Monica Kelsey who was herself abandoned shortly after birth. She came up with the idea while visiting a church in South Africa.

The boxes are about the size of a microwave and have three alarms to alert first responders that a baby is inside. They are installed outside a Safe Haven location, like a fire stations, and are rigged to call 911 as soon as the door is opened. Once the baby is inside the door automatically locks so no one else can take the baby. Authorities should arrive within three minutes.

more at link

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Such a great idea!

BBM
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, that's impressive! i would much rather have a mother safely 'abandon' her child than the much more prevalent alternative that we so often read about.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think this is such a great idea I hope here in Illinois we will see more of these around .I am not that far from Michigan City Ind. go there all the time to the beach. Very I am very impressed by this!!