Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cherish Perwinkle; 8; FL

I couldn't find a thread for Cherish. If there is, please merge.

Cherish's killer is currently in trial.

I have SO many feelings about this case.

Sigh.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kids [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I couldn't find a thread for Cherish. If there is, please merge.

Cherish's killer is currently in trial.

I have SO many feelings about this case.

Sigh.

BBM - Me, too, 4k . Thanks for starting the thread.

Snippets from your linked article (long article, worth the read):

The mother of an 8-year-old girl who was abducted from a Florida Walmart — and later allegedly raped and killed by a man claiming was trying to help her family — broke down on the stand as his trial got under way on Monday.

State Attorney Melissa Nelson said Cherish’s mutilated body was found in a creek. She’d been raped, smothered and had blunt force trauma to the back of her head. She was wearing an orange dress with a fruit pattern on it.

Before his arrest for Cherish’s death, Smith had a long criminal history dating back to the 1970s related to lewd and lascivious conduct. Doctors determined that he met the criteria of a violent sexual predator after arrests in 1999, and he had served prison time and been ordered to get treatment, according to the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Rayne Perrywinkle said Smith had been hovering around she and her three daughters while they shopped at a discount store earlier in the day on June 21, 2013. She was looking for clothes for all three children and could not afford it.
    Smith watched as Rayne tried to work out how to pay for the clothes, Rayne testified, and said when she came outside he was waiting. He offered to take them to a nearby Walmart and make purchases with a gift card.
    The mother testified that she was wary, but accepted because Smith assured her his wife would meet them at the Walmart.

It got late, after 10 p.m., and Smith’s wife never appeared. Rayne said her daughters were getting restless because they had not had dinner.

Rayne Perrywinkle said some 20 minutes later, she realized the McDonald’s inside the Walmart was closed and she began to panic.

Surveillance footage from the store caught the image of Smith and Cherish exiting, the girl skipping out behind him.
    “No one noticed. It looked like a grandfather and a granddaughter,” Nelson told the jury during her opening statement.
    When Smith was arrested, Nelson said he was wet from the waist down.

She said she would cross-examine Rayne, but after the mother’s testimony Smith told his attorneys not to cross examine her, so they told the court they had changed their mind.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's live stream...in the courtroom

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Update on trial....
    Donald Smith eyes girl touring jail: 'That's what I go after'
    In recorded chat, Smith told fellow inmate 12-year-olds are his 'target area'
    : 5:20 PM, February 13, 2018

Graphic doesn't begin to describe some of the evidence and testimony presented in the trial of Donald Smith, who’s charged in the 2013 kidnapping, rape and murder of 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle.
    Tuesday’s proceedings proved no different as jurors heard alarming recorded conversations between Smith, 61, and a fellow inmate in a neighboring isolation cell in June 2015, two years after his arrest.

The recording centered on a conversation that picked up as Smith, who gazed at the table in front of him in court and swiveled in his chair, commented on young girls touring the Duval County jail:
    SMITH: “You know how old they are? About 12."
    INMATE: “You said they were 12?”
    SMITH: “Yeah. That’s right up my alley right there."
    INMATE: "Huh?"
    SMITH: "That's my target area right there. That's what I go after."
    INMATE: "Well then you would have fun with that one..."
    SMITH: "I'd like to run into her at Walmart."

Incidentally, it was a Walmart store on Jacksonville’s Northside where Cherish Perrywinkle was last seen alive June 21, 2013. Smith drove the girl, her mother and sisters to the store that night after befriending them at a dollar store and offering to take them shopping.
    As the hours wore on, Smith offered to get dinner from a McDonald’s located just inside the store, the girl’s mother told investigators. Cherish went with him, following Smith to the front of the store and then out of the front door as he left the building entirely.
    Cherish’s mother, Rayne, panicked when the pair did not return, and dialed 911. Police found Smith’s van on Interstate 95 the next morning and took him into custody. They later went to a Rutgers Road church where the van had been spotted. There, hidden under some brush in a nearby marsh, police found the girl's battered body.

Testimony in Smith’s trial ended Tuesday afternoon when prosecutors rested and the defense, after an unsuccessful motion to acquit, followed suit. Closing arguments are set to begin Wednesday mornin

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watched this afternoon and have seen bits and pieces of others testimony for State.
    The medical examiner had to take a break as she was listing all the horrific trauma Cherish went thru. Saw this on AB's show tonight. The lawyers and a med examiner she had on all said this is the first time they'd ever seen this from a med examiner. Didn't criticize and admitted they probably would break down too with this case.
    I was at first shocked when defense rested. No witnesses called, no testimony from the monster.
    Then I thought, of course, what defense could they possibly present?
    While I watched him all I could think was he's so enjoying the attention. Loving listening to the tapes and seeing the pictures. I saw all over his face how he was reliving what he did.
    Then on AB a woman reporter who has been in the courtroom since day one said the same thing I was thinking!
    He will be found guilty. The big question is will he receive the DP?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny47 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Update on trial....
    Donald Smith eyes girl touring jail: 'That's what I go after'
    In recorded chat, Smith told fellow inmate 12-year-olds are his 'target area'
    : 5:20 PM, February 13, 2018

Graphic doesn't begin to describe some of the evidence and testimony presented in the trial of Donald Smith, who’s charged in the 2013 kidnapping, rape and murder of 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle.
    Tuesday’s proceedings proved no different as jurors heard alarming recorded conversations between Smith, 61, and a fellow inmate in a neighboring isolation cell in June 2015, two years after his arrest.

The recording centered on a conversation that picked up as Smith, who gazed at the table in front of him in court and swiveled in his chair, commented on young girls touring the Duval County jail:
    SMITH: “You know how old they are? About 12."
    INMATE: “You said they were 12?”
    SMITH: “Yeah. That’s right up my alley right there."
    INMATE: "Huh?"
    SMITH: "That's my target area right there. That's what I go after."
    INMATE: "Well then you would have fun with that one..."
    SMITH: "I'd like to run into her at Walmart."

Incidentally, it was a Walmart store on Jacksonville’s Northside where Cherish Perrywinkle was last seen alive June 21, 2013. Smith drove the girl, her mother and sisters to the store that night after befriending them at a dollar store and offering to take them shopping.
    As the hours wore on, Smith offered to get dinner from a McDonald’s located just inside the store, the girl’s mother told investigators. Cherish went with him, following Smith to the front of the store and then out of the front door as he left the building entirely.
    Cherish’s mother, Rayne, panicked when the pair did not return, and dialed 911. Police found Smith’s van on Interstate 95 the next morning and took him into custody. They later went to a Rutgers Road church where the van had been spotted. There, hidden under some brush in a nearby marsh, police found the girl's battered body.

Testimony in Smith’s trial ended Tuesday afternoon when prosecutors rested and the defense, after an unsuccessful motion to acquit, followed suit. Closing arguments are set to begin Wednesday mornin
    The evil bastard.

He'd like to bring her to Walmart?

The things I am thinking now assure my reserved seat in hell. This guy has no reason to continue breathing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in this guys previous crimes. He was assigned the title of violent sexual offender. Why was he out of jail?

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kids [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I'm interested in this guys previous crimes. He was assigned the title of violent sexual offender. Why was he out of jail?
    I dug around and found this about his criminal history...FGS, he was released from jail just 3 weeks before he killed Cherish!

Child murder suspect has long criminal history

By [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - Reporter, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If you just take a look at Donald Smith's 19-page criminal history report, it's obvious the man accused of killing 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle has a very disturbing past.
    In fact, the 56-year-old was first arrested on a sex offense when he was 21 and was just released from jail 21 days before he is accused of abducting and killing the girl.

<snip>

Smith was recommended for civil commitment for sex offenders, meaning he would not have returned to society until cured. But the case fell through the cracks. As he was about to leave prison in 1999, the state flagged Smith as likely to reoffend and be dangerous in the future. Psychiatrists who evaluated him agreed. Just 1 percent of all sex offenders and predators get such a recommendation.

Smith was sent to a civil commitment facility near Tampa.
    Keeping a violent sexual predator in confined treatment after their sentence has run out requires the approval of an unanimous jury. Right now there are about 650 people undergoing that treatment.
    For some reason, a jury never heard about the state's or psychiatrist's fears.

"He did do some treatment, but the court let him out in 2002," Monfaldi said. "There is no notation. There is just the petition was dismissed."
    Smith was arrested again in 2009 for posing as a Department of Children and Families worker to make an obscene phone call to a young child. In that case, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges and served just 14 months in jail.
    Because there was no felony, Smith didn't meet the criteria to be reevaluated. That's an evaluation that almost certainly would have found Smith a danger to re-offend and would have kept him in prison indefinitely.
    Alexander says things like that happen a lot.

much more at link: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And this:

Donald Smith's 40-year criminal history

(visual)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    why are 12 year old girls touring the Duval County jail?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cathy Russon‏

More
    #DonaldSmith - The defense rarely cross examined witnesses, they put on no witnesses of their own and they waived their closing argument.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    jury came back after 15 minutes and convicted his ass.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cathy Russon

@cathyrusson

More
    #DonaldSmith - GUILTY on all counts. Murder, Rape, Kidnapping. Sentencing phase begins next Tuesday. Smith now faces the death penalty.

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks, pk and Sunny!

Yes! Guilty! I hope they follow that up with the death penalty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjane [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    And this:

Donald Smith's 40-year criminal history

(visual)

Why was he out?????

He was considered a dangerous pedo.

Why????

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why was he out?????

He was considered a dangerous pedo.

Why????
    Florida laws?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The monster got the death penalty!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregongal [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    fully deserved!!!!

Admin
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregongal [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    fully deserved!!!!
    Yes, yes and yes!!!