Upcoming Events for the Next 7 Day(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Is it ever OK to leave a sleeping baby home alone? Parents split on answer!

TODAY Parents

May 18, 2016 - 2 hours ago - Eun Kyung Kim

You're at home and need to pick up something at a nearby store, roughly 50 yards away. You'd be gone for only seven minutes. The catch? You have a 10-month-old baby sleeping in the crib.

Would you do it? That's the question creating a stir on [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

The mother who posed the question said her child "reliably naps at the same time every day for at least an hour," and sought the opinions of other parents.

It's a scenario that crosses the mind of every parent, but reactions divided those who commented on the post, and more than 870 people did.

Some said they would never consider it, no matter how alluring the opportunity.

"Even though it's super tempting, I quite often want to shift my car when it's parked 100 yards away and a space comes free next to the house. But I don't do it as it's just not worth it!!" wrote one parent.

"I'm sure the baby would be fine for seven mins in the cot, though seven mins is a long time to scream and no one comes," said another.

"The bigger danger is that something happens to you. If you get knocked down by a car and carted off to hospital no one will know about the baby in your house on his own...Just not worth the risk. Either wake the baby and take him or ask a neighbor to sit with baby/run the errand."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

7% said yes! Why on earth would any parent even entertain this thought. Yes, I know there are those who left their babies/ children alone and we read about them in the news usually with a tragic outcome.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No way would I ever leave my kids at home alone especially with a 10 month old sleeping in the house and go to the store!! Sad that they thought it was OK to do!!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh this is scary to contemplate. I am thinking of gas lines blowing up....houses catching on fire and so on.

I think I am way to cautious to take that kind of risk.

I guess that means I am not in the 7% huh?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No way, the house could catch on fire, someone could break in, anything disastrous could happen in 7 minutes.
    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A clear NO. Hell No. Nevah No.
    “My mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.'”-Forrest

AngelWings
    Hell to the naw !

Admin
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hell no! No, no, no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm late to the party. NO - NOT EVER!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way would I leave my baby at home.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Never.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannot think of any circumstances it would be okay to leave a sleeping infant. Babies are very portable--just grab and go if you must leave.