54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the updates, Aubrey.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've had this on for only a few minutes and this attorney is on my last nerve

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliekan [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I've had this on for only a few minutes and this attorney is on my last nerve
    I haven't followed this case, is this the guy who shot the man in the theater because he threw popcorn or somesuch?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I haven't followed this case, is this the guy who shot the man in the theater because he threw popcorn or somesuch?
    Yes, Oulsen was texting and Reeves asked him to stop. When he didn't stop, Reeves went to the manager. When Reeves got back, they got into an argument and Oulsen threw his popcorn and cell phone at Reeves. Reeves shot him in the chest, claiming he feared for his life.

I've been in that theater before and after the incident BTW.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by protectkidz [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    No, I haven't really been following.

but this is one of the rudest attorneys I have ever heard! He is just berating this witness, saying he is being unresponsive to his questions, and the judge is letting this go on

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ugh, it keeps cutting out on my crappy phone

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cathy
    ‏ @courtchatter
    Following

More
    #CurtisReeves - Lunch recess until 12:30. Curtis Reeves will take the stand after lunch
    Josh Solomon‏ @Josh_Solomon15 25m
    25 minutes ago

Michaels read out report on obtained from iPhone. At least 3 people's DNA on phone. It's not good enough for inclusion but perhaps exclusion

Josh Solomon‏ @Josh_Solomon15 34m
    34 minutes ago

More
    Hayden says he sees in video what appears to Oulson's head, arm and body coming into view on video #curtisreeves

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FEW MORE TWEETS FROM Curtis Reeves on Stand today in Stand your Ground Hearing>>

Jen's Trial Diaries‏ @TrialDiariesJ 54s
    55 seconds ago

More
    #CurtisReeves says he had no clue by him getting the last word it would spark this set of events

Jen's Trial Diaries‏*@TrialDiariesJ 1m
    1 minute ago

More
    #CurtisReeves was armed when he went to theater and says he usually is and has been for over 40 years

Jen's Trial Diaries‏*@TrialDiariesJ 4m
    4 minutes ago

More
    Retired Officers are encouraged to carry a firearm and maintain the certification #curtisreeves

Jen's Trial Diaries‏*@TrialDiariesJ 12m
    12 minutes ago

More
    #CurtisReeves says violent things usually happen in lowlight situations
    Last edited by sunny47; 02-28-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cathy‏*@courtchatter 16m
    16 minutes ago

More
    #CurtisReeves - That's it for Curtis Reeves testimony. Court will resume 10am tomorrow with the State's case.

State can appeal if judge rules in #CurtisReeves favor

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Live today: Curtis Reeves now testifying at 'stand your ground' hearing
    February 28 2017
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Curtis Reeves said he never wanted to shoot Chad Oulson
    "At that point, it was his life or mine," Reeves said Tuesday.
    For three years, the defendant in a Pasco County theater shooting had sat in silence at the center of one of the area's most high profile court cases.
    That ended in the seventh day of a "stand your ground" hearing, as Reeves went on the witness stand to speak publicly for the first time about what happened the day he killed 43-year-old Oulson in a dispute over a cell phone. Reeves attorneys say he was in fear for his life when he resorted to a gun inside a movie theater on Jan. 13, 2014.

"He was reaching for me," Reeves testified. "He was getting ready to punch me. I perceived that at some point and that's when the pistol came out."
    Reeves, 74, began testifying at 12:30 p.m., initially recalling his early days as Tampa police officer in the 1960s who routinely saw people injured by acts of violence. He described his rise to the rank of a homicide squad captain, his role in helping the agency establish a tactical response team, and his development as a firearms instructor.
    Reeves spoke in a low, measured tone. He wore a gray jacket with a white shirt and maroon tie, his gray hair combed back. His voice cracked a few times when his testimony touched on his family life or his 1988 brush with cancer. He mentioned his son, Matthew, who followed in his father's steps as a police officer

Questions about his background persisted for more than an hour, before Reeves, at his attorney's coaxing, looked at a lifetime of award and training certificates on a projection screen and explained why he received each of them. Forty minutes later, he was still describing certificates.
    He mentioned the term "officer survival" several times, both in terms of training he experienced and in lessons he imparted to those he supervised.

"That was the was the thing," he said at one point, "to teach your officers how to go home at night."
    Before hearing from Reeves, the court heard Tuesday morning from Philip Hayden, a former FBI agent and use-of-force expert. He testified about research he had done at the request of Reeves' defense attorneys. It included a visit to theater No. 10 at the Cobb Grove 16 cinemas in Wesley Chapel.
    In an interview with police immediately after the shooting, Reeves, a retired Tampa police officer, said Oulson hit him with an object before Reeves fired the fatal shot. The two men had argued after Reeves confronted Oulson about using his cell phone during previews at the movie Lone Survivor.
    Hayden sat in the same seats used by Reeves and Oulson, moved in various positions, and tested whether he could reach from Oulson's seat, to the row behind it, where Reeves sat.
    He also discussed an interview he conducted with Reeves

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [b]Man accused in fatal 2014 moviegoer shooting: 'It was his life or mine'
    Feb 28, 2017, 5:43 PM ET[/b

In court testimony today, Curtis Reeves described the altercation in January 2014 that ended with his fatally shooting another moviegoer over texting, calling it at one point a "life-or-death struggle."
    Reeves, 74, a former police captain and former amusement park security director, is accused of shooting and killing 43-year-old Chad Oulson on Jan. 13, 2014, in Pasco County, Florida, before a showing of "Lone Survivor," police said.
    "At that point, it was his life or mine," Reeves testified, when asked by the defense why he shot Oulson that day.
    If Circuit Court Judge Susan Barthle rules in favor of Reeves, he will receive immunity from prosecution and will leave the court a free man, with no criminal murder charges, under Florida's "stand your ground" law.
    Should she decide Reeves did not meet the law's criteria during the encounter with Oulson, he will proceed at a later date to a criminal trial, where he may claim self-defense but may not utilize protection under the "stand your ground" law.
    Prosecutors say Reeves provoked the confrontation, The Associated Press reported — which would exclude him from protection under the law.
    Before the shooting, Reeves complained about Oulson's use of his phone to movie theater employees, authorities said at the time. When Reeves returned to the theater, the argument escalated.

Witnesses told police that Oulson threw a container of popcorn at Reeves before being shot, police said. Oulson's wife, Nicole Oulson, was also shot, in the hand. She told ABC News in 2014 that her husband was texting their babysitter, who was watching their young daughter.
    Reeves testified today that he and his wife were seated behind the Oulsons. During previews before the movie, Reeves said, he waited 15 seconds to 30 seconds before asking Chad Oulson to put away his cellphone. Reeves said Oulson responded with "Eff off or get the eff out of my face."
    Reeves said he saw Nicole Oulson reach over and talk to Chad Oulson, so he sat back to see what would happen. When the cellphone remained out, Reeves testified, he went to speak to theater management. He said when he returned to the theater, Chad Oulson gave him a "stare." Reeves said that he noticed that Oulson did not have his phone out, so Reeves apologized in what he called a "goodwill gesture."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I realized I was in a life-or-death struggle,' Curtis Reeves says of theater shooting
    March 1, 2017

In the darkened theater, the older man shrunk back in his seat as the younger man lurched from the row in front of him, hurling obscenities.
    Something had struck the older man in the face, he recalled. He thought the younger man was going to punch him.
    "It looked to me like he was out of control," 74-year-old Curtis Reeves said Tuesday, explaining why he shot 43-year-old Chad Oulson in the chest, killing him.
    "He was in a fit of rage. He was trying to get over the seat at me."
    For three years, the defendant in a Wesley Chapel theater shooting had remained publicly silent while in the center of one of the area's most high-profile court cases. That ended Tuesday, as Reeves told a judge his version of what happened on Jan. 13, 2014, during a matinee showing of the movie Lone Survivor at the Cobb Grove 16 cinema after a dispute over cellphone use.
    Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Susan Barthle is presiding over a hearing to determine whether Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law should apply. The law says a person has no duty to retreat and can use deadly force when faced with a violent confrontation if he or she fears death or great bodily harm.
    If she rules that the law applies, Reeves would not be prosecuted, meaning he would remain free. Otherwise, he faces trial on second-degree murder and aggravated battery charges.
    Reeves, a retired Tampa police captain, testified for five hours, speaking in a low, measured tone as he answered his attorney's questions. At times, he appeared emotional. At times, he injected levity into the proceedings. At times, he grew testy, especially when a prosecutor pushed hard.

Reeves recalled that he and his wife, Vivian, sat in the back row of the theater, directly behind the Oulsons. Reeves was behind Oulson's wife, Nicole, while Vivian was behind Oulson.
    Commercials had started. A courtesy announcement asked for cellphone silence.
    Reeves noticed glare from a light on Oulson's phone, he said. As previews began to roll, Reeves leaned forward.
    "My voice was low," he said. "And I said, 'Sir, can I get you to put your cellphone away?' "

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Curtis Reeves Hearing Stream

Last edited by sunny47; 03-03-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Romano: Will we consider it justice if Curtis Reeves walks?
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:00am

Most people seem to think "stand your ground'' is a pretty good law.

Politicians swear that's true, and the polls typically back up the concept. We like how it makes us feel safer. We like the idea that it gives us an upper hand against the bad guys.
    We like it right up until the moment we see someone else using it.
    When prosecutors drop charges against two teenagers allegedly involved in a gunbattle that left eight people wounded during a holiday parade, then "stand your ground'' seems a little nutty.
    When a drug dealer kills rivals in two separate incidents and walks away each time, then it seems the law might be producing unintended consequences.

And when a husband on a date with his wife is shot in the middle of a movie theater, we put the world on pause to watch the "stand your ground'' hearing of an elderly, retired cop.
    On its surface, the killing of Chad Oulson by Curtis Reeves in a Wesley Chapel theater seems absurd. Oulson wasn't armed. This didn't take place in some spooky alley in a sketchy part of town. And the entire incident involved something ridiculously trivial.

And yet, the way the statute is written, I think it's likely Reeves will go free.
    This is why, nearly 12 years after it was passed, the law remains a touchy issue.
    When you think of "stand your ground" in abstract terms — Of course I should be able to defend myself against a threat! — then it makes perfect sense.
    But when confronted with a specific case involving someone else — Do you really believe Oulson would have pummeled an old man in a theater? — the vague wording of the law suddenly seems problematic.
    There are two words that are critical here:
    " … reasonably believes … ''

That is the term Florida Statute 776.012 uses. A person is allowed to defend himself or herself if they are in fear of death or great bodily injury. And the threshold to determine that is "reasonably believes.''
    That seems to be a different standard from the "beyond a reasonable doubt'' or "preponderance of evidence'' or "clear and convincing evidence'' terms that we're used to hearing in court cases.
    Now, "reasonably believes'' is not new to Florida. It was part of the statute even before "stand your ground" was passed in 2005. The difference is the new statute took away any responsibility to walk away from a confrontation, which put reasonable belief of danger into a whole new dimension.
    So is it reasonable to think Reeves feared for his safety?
    Personally, I don't think he was in imminent peril. But what I think doesn't matter. It is whether Reeves can convince the judge that, at that moment, he felt he was in danger

When you consider Oulson was younger and bigger, and was the one who turned around to face Reeves, and was the one who reached across the seats to initiate contact, Reeves has an interesting argument.
    You know, overall crime is down in Florida, and supporters of "stand your ground'' say the law has been a useful deterrence. But gun-related homicides are up, and critics say the law has made too many people confrontational and trigger happy.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Curtis Reeves' two-week stand-your-ground hearing comes to close Friday
    Times staff
    Friday, March 3, 2017 7:42am

CITY — After two weeks of testimony, Curtis Reeves' stand-your-ground hearing will end today as the state and defense present their closing arguments.

It will probably be another week before Curtis knows his fate — whether he's a free man, or if the controversial case will go to trial.
    Reeves, 74, was arrested on charges of second-degree murder after an argument in Wesley Chapel movie theater led to the death of Chad Oulson, 43.
    On Thursday, the state focused on the moments leading up to and during the fatal shot.
    Right about the time that Reeves drew a pistol and shot Oulson in the chest, three different people heard Reeves say something about popcorn.
    "Throw popcorn in my face," was what Mark Turner, a retired Air Force officer, recalled hearing from his spot at the end of Reeves' row inside Cobb Grove 16 cinemas three years ago.

Charles Cummings, one row down from Reeves, heard the popcorn comment, too. So did Derek Friedhoff, a few rows down. He said it was prefaced by "show you" or "teach you."
    Reeves, a retired Tampa police officer, is trying to have the case against him dismissed under a controversial Florida law that says a person has no duty to retreat when faced with a violent confrontation and can use deadly force if he or she fears death or great bodily harm.
    Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Susan Barthle said she will enter a written ruling in the case no later than March 10. She said she would prefer to rule immediately but would take time to prepare an order.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cathy‏*@courtchatter 2m
    2 minutes ago

More
    #CurtisReeves - Defense atty Richard Escobar is now giving closing arguments. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cathy‏*@courtchatter 30s
    30 seconds ago

More
    #curtisreeves - Defense atty Escobar told the judge yesterday he would need 2-3 hrs for his closing. He already went 3 hrs before lunch.
    2/3 hours for closing unheard of OMG

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pasco movie theater shooting case could be impacted by ‘Stand Your Ground’ law changes

By Avery Cotton
    Published: March 6, 2017, 4:52 pm Updated: March 6, 2017, 6:12 pm
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ][/]
    Retired Tampa police captain Curtis Reeves testified that he feared for his life, so he shot and killed Chad Oulson in an argument over texting at a Wesley Chapel movie theater in 2014. After a pre-trial hearing that took two weeks, a judge will soon decide if Reeves is immune to prosecution under the Stand Your Ground law.
    But, what happens if the law changes?
    State lawmakers are set to vote on major changes to the law, including one that would place the burden of proof on the state.

“It would require the state to prove that someone didn’t act in self-defense,” said local defense attorney John Hackworth.
    Hackworth says if the law changes, prosecutors could face an uphill battle.
    “If it’s a murder, one of the witnesses is already dead, so you have limited witnesses. Generally, these things don’t happen on a street corner, so putting that enhanced burden on the state would make it that much more difficult to prosecute these folks.”
    What about the Reeves case? *Could that be impacted by these changes, too?
    “I don’t think anyone knows the answer to that yet. I do know that had his attorney Mr. Escobar known about this, and the statues were enacted, I can guarantee he would have testified under the new statute, and the burden is so much higher, it probably would have increased their chances of succeeding on this motion significantly,” said Hackworth.

Another big change in the Stand Your Ground law up for vote is that the defendant’s testimony during pre-trial would not be able to be used against them in court.
    Hackworth also says if enacted, it would make it easier for criminals to take advantage of the Stand Your Ground law.
    The legislative session starts tomorrow, where these changes are on the agenda.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny47 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Pasco movie theater shooting case could be impacted by ‘Stand Your Ground’ law changes

By Avery Cotton
    Published: March 6, 2017, 4:52 pm Updated: March 6, 2017, 6:12 pm
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ][/]
    Retired Tampa police captain Curtis Reeves testified that he feared for his life, so he shot and killed Chad Oulson in an argument over texting at a Wesley Chapel movie theater in 2014. After a pre-trial hearing that took two weeks, a judge will soon decide if Reeves is immune to prosecution under the Stand Your Ground law.
    But, what happens if the law changes?
    State lawmakers are set to vote on major changes to the law, including one that would place the burden of proof on the state.

“It would require the state to prove that someone didn’t act in self-defense,” said local defense attorney John Hackworth.
    Hackworth says if the law changes, prosecutors could face an uphill battle.
    “If it’s a murder, one of the witnesses is already dead, so you have limited witnesses. Generally, these things don’t happen on a street corner, so putting that enhanced burden on the state would make it that much more difficult to prosecute these folks.”
    What about the Reeves case? *Could that be impacted by these changes, too?
    “I don’t think anyone knows the answer to that yet. I do know that had his attorney Mr. Escobar known about this, and the statues were enacted, I can guarantee he would have testified under the new statute, and the burden is so much higher, it probably would have increased their chances of succeeding on this motion significantly,” said Hackworth.

Another big change in the Stand Your Ground law up for vote is that the defendant’s testimony during pre-trial would not be able to be used against them in court.
    Hackworth also says if enacted, it would make it easier for criminals to take advantage of the Stand Your Ground law.
    The legislative session starts tomorrow, where these changes are on the agenda.
    Geez, that stupid law already makes it easy to get away with murder, can't believe they are going to make it even easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Denied

The judge denied his SYG effort.

He's going to trial!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Judge's Ruling

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettychand [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The judge denied his SYG effort.

He's going to trial!

Thank you Betty for the update, you know I'm kind of surprised, thought for sure it wasn't going to go to trial because of his age...
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. He looked quite healthy during the hearings and when he testified.

I'm sure they'll do their best to make him look old and frail during his trial though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I stopped following because it was getting a little boring for me, plus figured why bother me if it doesn't go to trial. Pretty much knew what happened at the movie theatre. I do plan on following the trial, whenever that will be.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Article is from link BettyChand posted up thread

BREAKING: Curtis Reeves to Face Murder Trial, Judges Denies ‘Stand Your Ground’ Defense After Hearing

by [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | 9:51 am, March 10th, 2017

A week after a hearing concluded where Curtis Reeves and his attorney tried to argue that he was justified in fatally shooting a man in a Florida movie theater in 2014, Judge Susan Barthle ruled that the state’s ‘Stand Your Ground’ law did not apply here, and that Reeves will have to stand trial.

Reeves is charged with second degree murder for killing Chad Oulson during an altercation that began when Reeves complained that Oulson was texting during previews. The "Stand Your Ground" law says that if a person is in reasonable fear of death or serious injury, they can use deadly force without having a duty to try to escape the situation first.

SNIP

The judge wrote in her decision:

The physical evidence contradicts the defendant’s version of events. … Which begs the question, why did the defendant say he was hit in the left eye, to the point of being dazed, when the video images and basic physics indicate that he did not get hit in the left eye with anything? The logical conclusion is that he was trying to justify his actions after the fact.

She concluded:

Because the defendant’s testimony was significantly at odds with the physical evidence and other witness testimony, this court has considerable doubts about his credibility, and is not willing to come to the conclusion that these circumstances are those envisioned by the legislature when the ‘stand your ground’ law was enacted.

If Judge Barthle had sided with Reeves, the ‘Stand Your Ground’ law would have kicked in, and Reeves would have been immune from charges. Since the judge ruled against Reeves, he will now have to go before a jury, who will determine his fate.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies... By Andy Dufresne/Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pasco judge rules Curtis Reeves will stand trial for murder
    Updated: March 10, 2017, 9:28 am

The judge in the high-profile Stand Your Ground hearing ruled on Friday that Curtis Reeves*will be tried on murder charges.
    The retired Tampa Police Department captain shot and killed Chad Oulson on January 13, 2014 in a Wesley Chapel movie theater during an argument over texting. Reeves’ attorney wanted the murder charges against him dismissed under Florida’s “Stand Your Ground Law.
    Judge Susan Barthle heard testimony from prosecutors and the defense to determine if the Stand Your Ground law meets the criteria in the Curtis Reeves murder trial.
    Prosecutors said Reeves did not have to use lethal force, but Reeves said he feared for his life. During closing arguments, the defense also said the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office botched the initial investigation.
    Chad Oulson’s widow testified during the hearing. Curtis Reeve also testified, spending many hours on the witness stand.
    Some Florida lawmakers now want to see changes to the “Stand Your Ground” law. That could impact the outcome of this case.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad the judge made the right decision. Hope he is found guilty at trial. He took a husband and father away from his family because he is a damn bully and he needs to pay for that.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Judge denies 'stand your ground' defense in movie theater shooting
    By Eric Levenson, CNN

Updated 12:15 PM ET, Fri March 10, 2017

A retired Tampa police captain who shot and killed a man in a movie theater will face a second-degree murder charge after a judge ruled that Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law does not apply in this case.
    After two weeks of pretrial testimony, Judge Susan Barthle cast doubt on Curtis Reeves' assertions that he was acting in self-defense when he drew and fired his gun.
    "Because the defendant's testimony was significantly at odds with the physical evidence and other witness testimony, this court has considerable doubts about his credibility, and is not willing to come to the conclusion that these circumstances are those envisioned by the Legislature when the 'stand your ground' law was enacted," Barthle ruled.

A trial date has not been set, CNN affiliate WFTS in Tampa reported.
    The case dates to January 2014 when Reeves, then 71, confronted a man in a suburban Tampa movie theater about texting during the previews before a showing of "Lone Survivor." The two argued, and then Reeves walked out of the theater to complain to an employee. When Reeves returned, he and the man, Chad Oulson, began arguing again.
    Oulson threw a bag of popcorn at Reeves, according to a criminal complaint, and Reeves then took out his handgun and fired at Oulson, killing him.
    Defense attorneys asked the judge to dismiss the murder charge under the "stand your ground" law that allows residents to use deadly force when they fear death or great bodily harm.

The case represents another look at Florida's "stand your ground" law, which most famously surfaced in George Zimmerman's 2013 trial in the killing of Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman's defense did not invoke the statute, but the law was included in instructions to the jury that acquitted him.
    Then-US Attorney General Eric Holder slammed stand your ground laws in a speech shortly after that verdict.
    "By allowing -- and perhaps encouraging -- violent situations to escalate in public, such laws undermine public safety," Holder said.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Judge rejects 'stand your ground' in Curtis Reeves case, pushing case toward trial
    By Dan Sullivan and Josh Solomon, Times Staff Writers
    Friday, March 10, 2017 5:20pm

Circuit Judge Susan Barthle didn't buy the argument that Curtis Reeves killed Chad Oulson in self-defense

She didn't believe the former Tampa police captain was scared of Oulson, that Oulson threw a cell phone at Reeves or punched him in the face, or that Oulson was "virtually on top of him" in a crowded Wesley Chapel movie theater when Reeves drew a gun.
    On Friday, the judge issued an order denying Reeves' request for immunity from prosecution under Florida's "stand your ground" law.
    "Because the defendant's testimony was significantly at odds with the physical evidence and other witness testimony, this court has considerable doubts about his credibility," Barthle wrote.
    If the judge had ruled in Reeves' favor, criminal charges would have been dismissed and he would have been excused from civil liability. But the decision does not mean Reeves is guilty of a crime. It means the state now may continue its prosecution.
    Oulson's widow, Nicole Oulson, was not available Friday for comment, but her attorney, T.J. Grimaldi, said the judge's ruling was a relief for her.
    "There were definitely tears of joy there," Grimaldi said. "At the same time, she knows this is just another step in a very long process."

Dino Michaels, a member of Reeves' defense team, said they respect the judge's ruling but intend to file a challenge with the Second District Court of Appeals.
    "We have confidence in the court system and the appeals court and we'll go from there," Michaels said.
    Judge Barthle's order followed a two-week hearing that ended March 3. Reeves' defense argued that Oulson attacked Reeves — throwing a cell phone and a bag of popcorn at him — after Reeves asked him to turn off his cell phone during movie previews.
    Reeves and his wife, Vivian, were visiting the Cobb Grove 16 cinemas Jan. 13, 2014, for a matinee showing of the movie Lone Survivor. They sat in the back row of theater No. 10, directly behind Chad and Nicole Oulson.
    Curtis Reeves leaned forward to tell Chad Oulson to turn off a cell phone. Reeves left the theater to complain to a manager. When he returned, he said something that prompted Oulson to stand and confront him.
    Accounts differ on exactly what happened next.

Reeves remains free on bond as the case against him continues.
    "This is a great outcome we had today," Grimaldi said. "But it doesn't bring Chad back. And it could be overturned on appeal. So while this is a great leap forward, we actually haven't moved anywhere

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Curtis Reeves

Curtis Reeves faces a second-degree murder charge. Reeves and his wife were sitting behind Chad Oulson and his wife, Nicole, in the theater when Reeves asked Oulson to stop texting before the movie, according to law enforcement. The argument escalated and that's when Reeves pulled out a handgun and shot Oulson, 43, in the chest. Oulson's wife tried to shield her husband from the shot, law enforcement said, but the bullet went through her hand.
    Last edited by sunny47; 08-31-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast